Author Topic: Preparations for long road trips  (Read 3657 times)

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
Preparations for long road trips
« on: October 02 2014, 02:42:23 PM »
To summarize my situation, my GN has recently awakened from a decade long slumber. Now that I've gotten most of the bugs worked out,  I have to move. The plan is to drive it from GA to OH in the next few weeks, a trip of about 800 miles. I could trailer it or have it shipped, but I've decided to save some money and drive it.  Being unemployed, I have a lot of time on my hands, so a road trip sounds like a nice distraction anyway.

I appreciate the thought Earl,

I've only put about 200 miles on the car since completing it's reawakening. It seems to do fine on the highway other than minor things (no radio, odd idiot lights etc.)

Just for background info, the new or rebuilt parts that I've installed and can think of right now are listed below:

Engine: Freshened.
Brakes: Converted to hydroboost. Rotors and pads are good.
Tires: Replaced all 4
Fuel Pump: New WB 340
Cam Sensor Cap: New
ECM: Rebuilt Autozone
Crank Sensor: New
All Common Filters and fluids:
Belts and hoses are replaced or nice.

The car is pretty much stock with the upgrades in my signature. No liquid leaks yet whatsoever... believe it or not, and I've checked  thoroughly.

Obviously I am taking a chance by driving a 27 yo vehicle that many miles, so i want to eliminate risk by having a few parts at hand if possible. To me the most likely candidates I think are:

MAF
IGN Module
Coils
Radiator stop leak

The module and coils I think I'll buy from a parts store, and return them when I'm home. I'm not sure what to do about the MAF though, any ideas?  Do I have to have a spare?  Are you dead in the water with a bad MAF or is there a way around it?

Finally, do people ever set their cars up to run on 87 for long trips? I think it'd only save me about 20 bucks, so I'm leaning against it.

I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinions and experiences.  What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thanks

« Last Edit: October 02 2014, 07:21:26 PM by bryes »
'87 T-Top GN, 51k (151K?) mostly stock, freshened engine, 206 / 206 cam, adjustable waste gate link, 42 lb inj., TT chip, scanmaster, boost & fp gauge, hotwire, 17 psi

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Preparations for long road trips
« Reply #1 on: October 02 2014, 04:52:40 PM »
You mentioned 'engine freshened'....      does it only have 200 miles on it?

If so, I'd trailer the hell out of it.   ESP if you went flat tappet.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02 2014, 07:18:34 PM »

I appreciate the thought Earl.

The engine is the one I did 200 miles ago and I did have to replace the stock cam with new a FT. I've read some of the same threads that you have where the cam goes flat quickly after rebuild. One things for sure, in my case if it happens I have one person to blame :icon_smile:  At least I know that the block was cleaned and assembled to the best of my ability, I'll take that over an unknown rebuild. 

I could cut open the oil filter at least to make sure it's not shedding material already, but other than that it wouldn't dissuade me to have a fresh "rebuild". I'm more worried about the 27 year old sensors though.

My tow vehicle would be a 15 yo excursion with 200k miles and not nearly as many new parts as my GN. So saving a 1600 mile trip for it would be mitigating risk in another respect.
'87 T-Top GN, 51k (151K?) mostly stock, freshened engine, 206 / 206 cam, adjustable waste gate link, 42 lb inj., TT chip, scanmaster, boost & fp gauge, hotwire, 17 psi

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
if the cruise works and the windshield wipers work, I'd say go for it.  get some headphones and you're set. The alternator would be the only thing I really would make sure work(and the battery of course). Have a safe trip!!

Offline Pyro6

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03 2014, 02:34:36 PM »
If you're in a bind near Harrisburg PA in your travels, look me up.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03 2014, 07:38:04 PM »
YOU list:
MAF
IGN Module
Coils
Radiator stop leak

I add:
ECM
crank sensor
cam sensor
oil
water

our cars regularily go 1000 mile trips
(farthest driven -2012 TBNATS)

-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03 2014, 07:47:32 PM »
You need some solution to the maf IMHO -its the biggest risk and most likely to fail.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03 2014, 09:46:40 PM »
I carry the caspers cam sensor start tool. 
maybe a little extra oil. 
make sure the spare is in good shape.
All the usual preventive maintaince is in good order.
Most importantly , a good cell phone
and the revolver of your choice.   with maybe a couple speed loaders handy also.

oh wait.....
did I say that?   lol
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
Thanks  for the good suggestions everyone.

I am going to concentrate on getting another MAF before I go. I can pick up an ignition module and coil and hopefully return them later.

I think the revolver is a great idea as well, it can serve multiple purposes:

1. Play a rousing game of Russian roulette in case driving the car with a low mileage FT cam isn't risky enough for me.
2. Signal for help in case the 80s era car phone in my car won't work.
3. Instruct rednecks on the difference between the quintessential 80's muscle car and a neutered 305 powered monte
4. Shoot the WV deer that run out in front of the car
5. Celebrate like Yosemite Sam when I make it home without my cam going flat

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04 2014, 04:41:26 PM »
You'll need two revolvers for #5   :)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04 2014, 10:34:34 PM »
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal