Author Topic: IAC question  (Read 2664 times)

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
IAC question
« on: July 09 2016, 10:44:00 AM »
So what other information other than rpm does the computer use to calculate IAC counts?
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline TTA1326

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boosted
    • View Profile
Re: IAC question
« Reply #1 on: July 09 2016, 04:43:29 PM »

As far as I know IAC count just represents how far the pintle (tip) is from the bore (seat).  Smaller numbers are closer to closed (lower air bypass), larger just means how far open it is (more air bypass).  The IAC is used to control idle RPM at closed throttle, the number isn't calculated from RPM.  The ECM changes the pintle position (IAC count) to adjust the RPM via the bypass gap.  Right?

http://ihadav8.com/forum/VortexBuicks/Scantool_Readings.htm

Offline larrym

• View Profile
IAC question
« Reply #2 on: July 09 2016, 10:57:05 PM »
Ok here is a data log showing what my RPM and airflow in and AFR when it goes mental. The scan tool data is off my autoXray tunerPro only displays the data the GEN2 uses.

https://youtu.be/vivgGM_wR80

Note the MAF in.

Here is the next time I fire it up right as rain disregard the audio

Lower MAF reading smooth RPM and AFR is normal IAC if normal.

https://youtu.be/hESzgzddMKI
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
Best ET 11.36

Offline TTA1326

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boosted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11 2016, 01:39:07 PM »
I've read this as interpreted by many different people, and I've read the original service manual version, but here's the basics from DennisL (Not me) posted on the "old board" 4 years ago.  This isn't your chip, but it's exactly how the ECM and IAC work.  I had a new '88 L98 IROC back when I was learning the ways of the Buick Turbo V6 from the wrong side lol (meaning I didn't have one), and the L98 had an idle surge after I ported the heads and put a cam in it.  Took me and several others 6 months to guesstimate the car might have a coolant temp sensor reading on the high side.  Comparing a coolant thermometer to the Tech 1 readings and the in car "gauge" from cold start to warmed up led to that guess.  Changed it out and fixed the problem.

I'm not suggesting that's what your problem is, just that it's hard to figure out without knowing the car and conditions and having the scan tool in hand.  Have you done the IAC\TPS reset lately?  When it's surging, have you tried turning it off, waiting 30 seconds or so, and starting it back up?

This might be a good place to describe exactly what the ecm does for IAC control on start up.

First the basics: the IAC stepper motor is moved by "counts" with 00 being closed (no air) and 255 full open (max air).

When you shut the engine off, the IAC is "parked" at a programmed position (stock is 150, TT is 140). This is also the initial position on the next engine start. As soon as the engine is running, the ecm picks an IAC position based on coolant temp. It holds to this position for almost 1 sec. After that, the ecm selects a target rpm based on coolant temp. It then moves the IAC in/out to maintain this rpm. This normally requires a lower count or step position but the actual number is determined by the programmed rpm value.

An example of real numbers for a TT 5.6/5.7 chip at a coolant temp. of 68 degF:
- engine cranks [IAC = 140]
- engine starts [IAC = 108]
- 800 mSec later, target idle rpm is 1200 so IAC will be stepped down to about 70-90.
- IAC position from here is determined by actual rpm. If its close to the target rpm, no change. If actual is above the target rpm, the IAC position is reduced. If rpm drops below the target, the IAC is stepped out (goes to a higher count).
- As the coolant temperature increases, the target rpm goes down but the IAC control functions the same.

So, the only time you should see a high count (100 & up) is when the engine is started. Within a few seconds the count should drop to ~60-90.
After a minute or two, the count should be down to ~30-60.
Finally at warm idle, it should be ~10-30.

Offline larrym

• View Profile
IAC question
« Reply #4 on: July 11 2016, 05:28:27 PM »
I have reset the IAC with the computer in diagnostic mode. Started it leaving it unplugged and set the Idle to 550 rpm.
Best ET 11.36

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11 2016, 07:08:15 PM »
IIRC periodically at highway speeds (when the idle circuit is not in use) doesn't the ECM drive the IAC to one of the extremes so it knows what the absolute position is?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal