Author Topic: Freshen up a motor  (Read 13483 times)

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Freshen up a motor
« Reply #30 on: August 09 2013, 06:20:27 PM »
Like I said: you should buy my car.

Oh, and seriously dude I have been on the same 130K+km engine (with the same stock head gaskets) for over 10 years and haven't considered a rebuild yet.  So why are you?

What I am saying is don't get wrapped up in all the hype of Turbo$$$Buick.com or what you read in magazines.  If you want a nice car do it little by little, don't just lay it up for the sake of taking on a build of a lifetime.

Leave that stuff for norbs.

I am on vacation from 19 Aug to 2 Sep, my offer to assist stands - just get the car here in good working order.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10 2013, 09:09:27 PM »
I'll have to see what my work schedule looks like. I've been driving the car for a month now with that little idle noise so... and the oil doesn't seem to have any metal in it. Tomorrow I'm going to cut off the oil filter again and see what it looks like. I ordered a new PCV valve from NOS4 I'm thinking a clogged old one was clogged leading to higher BLM's.. Also another very very big possibility is a exhaust leak somewhere but I cant see it and it doesn't really have the exhaust leak noise. But everyone who has heard the noise doesn't think its a exhaust leak. I bet your car would of been awesome Motorhead but this car was a 5 minute find away from my house and its a pretty mint car. It had all the good mods but I'm just hoping the engine builders where competent in there work. :icon_eyes:

Stratman: Is it even running?

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13 2013, 07:32:43 PM »
Just a update on my issues. I changed the oil filter to a Napa Gold long neck filter and no change. I also looked at the oil from the old filter and I can see some little gold flakes ? what is the gold flakes from I searched a few other turbo Buick forms and no one seems to know. I also am chasing down a KR problem that I cant seem to fix as well as BLM's at 138.

Edit: the gold looking flakes might just be dust from the pan sitting around. God dammit this car is gunna make me and my dad kill each other he has given up and thinks the noise is normal and says to drop the timing for the KR but I'm not stupid that's not the problem the fucking gar is going TAPTAPTTTPTPTP ATA AHHHHHHHH I cant sleep that noise haunts me. The quest goes onward to figure out the issue :icon_eyes: 
« Last Edit: August 13 2013, 08:07:05 PM by YGspider »

Offline 278CIKILLER

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13 2013, 08:26:01 PM »
Sorry to say gold flakes means bearings.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #34 on: August 13 2013, 08:56:29 PM »
Yep...it's overhaul time
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13 2013, 10:24:06 PM »
So would that mean my Turbo is fried now as well :icon_neutral:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13 2013, 10:31:53 PM »
maybe...maybe not...it will be if you keep driving it.  As long as the there is virtually no discernible in and out play on the compressor shaft and you cannot move it enuf sideways to allow the wheel to touch the sides, it is probably still okay at the moment but i would sure clean out the oil delivery line when I went back together with it
Steve Wood

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13 2013, 11:27:18 PM »
So I guess my next question is if I got to a full roller motor I don't need to worry about zinc in the oil anymore? and are full roller motors loud ticking wise? I read a lot of forums about people saying how there engine ticks.

Offline TWIN86GNS

• My car is almost ready!!!!
  • Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14 2013, 12:04:53 AM »
Some roller engines tick more than others and it seems that some of the Comp Cams roller lifters make a bunch of noise and if you believe everything you read on the internet the Morrel roller lifters are quieter if not quiet. 

David, JustaSix, has a roller cam in his engine and it is quiet.... at least to my ears.  Now I have seen and HEARD guys at the track whose roller lifters were very noticeable and their cars still seemed to run Very well.

When I briefly heard your car at the Sunday morning coffee run I didn't think I was hearing any major issues with your car.  If you want, go to a heavy truck shop and see if they have kits that will let you send your oil off to be analyzed.  I have many reports from the late 80's from GN #1 and they give a fair amount of info.  You just have to get a CLEAN sample of oil to them.  That means you fill up the sample jar with oil that is currently draining out of the oil pan, not from a catch can that has crap built up in the bottom from many different vehicles.

P.S.  -  A roller motor won't be cheap since a cam kit is almost $900 US and then the shipping on top of that will probably put you to about a $1000 Canadian once you convert the money and pay some duties.  Also if you are hell bent on spending money I know a guy West of Toronto a bit that was selling a complete engine with roller cam, good pistons, main caps, etc.  I am not sure if this was a fully assembled engine or not but I can get some info for you if needed.

Good luck,

Paul Beal
beal_paul@yahoo.ca

1986 GN  #1,  11.38 @ 120.25 mph  with a 1.501 60'
1986 GN  #2,  13.25 @ 102.95 mph with a 2.086 60'

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14 2013, 09:59:45 AM »
Be a lot cheaper to just buy good oil that already has zinc in it.
Steve Wood

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14 2013, 03:19:28 PM »
Some roller engines tick more than others and it seems that some of the Comp Cams roller lifters make a bunch of noise and if you believe everything you read on the internet the Morrel roller lifters are quieter if not quiet. 

David, JustaSix, has a roller cam in his engine and it is quiet.... at least to my ears.  Now I have seen and HEARD guys at the track whose roller lifters were very noticeable and their cars still seemed to run Very well.

When I briefly heard your car at the Sunday morning coffee run I didn't think I was hearing any major issues with your car.  If you want, go to a heavy truck shop and see if they have kits that will let you send your oil off to be analyzed.  I have many reports from the late 80's from GN #1 and they give a fair amount of info.  You just have to get a CLEAN sample of oil to them.  That means you fill up the sample jar with oil that is currently draining out of the oil pan, not from a catch can that has crap built up in the bottom from many different vehicles.

P.S.  -  A roller motor won't be cheap since a cam kit is almost $900 US and then the shipping on top of that will probably put you to about a $1000 Canadian once you convert the money and pay some duties.  Also if you are hell bent on spending money I know a guy West of Toronto a bit that was selling a complete engine with roller cam, good pistons, main caps, etc.  I am not sure if this was a fully assembled engine or not but I can get some info for you if needed.

Good luck,

That's my main issue right now is that I cant tell if the sparkles are dust from the bottom of the pan or other things that fell in the shop from the pan sitting around for a few hours. When I cut open the filter to be honest the oil looked pretty good to my eyes.

Offline 278CIKILLER

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14 2013, 03:32:07 PM »
If you took off the pan and it sat around for a hour or two, What could have fallen into it? Was any body working with gold flakes around?If the gold flakes were at the bottom of the pan mix in with the oil that's copper and that's bearings period.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14 2013, 03:43:58 PM »
should not have been difficult to determine if they were metal flakes and even easier to know if any one was grinding or cutting next to the pan
Steve Wood

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14 2013, 10:43:31 PM »
It wasn't the oil pan its self just a black oil drain bucket that I use for oil changes. I cleaned it out pretty good before I used it. But I think dust from the vacuum that floats in my garage floated down into the oil pan. because my car always has a coat of dust on it that I clean off the car every day. it was very very fine sand like material in the bucket so its hard to say.
I'm going to drop the oil pan this weekend and see what I find.. If she's hurting I will be pulling it all apart and making the car brand new again. A part of me wants this project to happen but the other part says ....that's a lot of money... hahah ohh well I love the car to much. :rock:

Offline xpander343

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15 2013, 10:16:32 AM »
Did you ever end up cutting the oil filter open? Or were you just looking at the oil in the drain bucket? 
87 Regal Limited

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal