Author Topic: AC Oil Filter PF-52 Losing Prime ? ? ?  (Read 15820 times)

Offline Texas Turbo T

• Don't Mess with Texas ! ! !
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
AC Oil Filter PF-52 Losing Prime ? ? ?
« on: September 27 2011, 02:39:28 AM »
Hello,

Got my engine back in the car a little while back. Done the whole break-in thing. Changed the oil and filter. (10-30, PF-52)

Took the car for a short drive (about 2 miles, no tags or inspection sticker  :player: ) got back let the engine run for about an hour changing the rpm while watching for any problems. Changed the oil and filter (10-30, PF-52)

My uncle passed away, so the car got put on the back burner. Finally got back to trying to get it ready to go again!

Got tags for the car so I might not get a ticket.  :023: Checked all the fluids, all good!

Drove it about 10 miles listening for anything that was not right. All was good. Stopped at a gas station to fill up the tank. Got back in the car and started it up, oil light did not go off ! ! !  :( Shut the engine off (never got it above an idle) and check the oil, full and perfectly clean.  :hmm Looked over everything I could at a gas station, but didn't see anything wrong. Started it again, no oil pressure ! ! ! Had it towed home. :shrug:

Asked a couple of members here what their thought were, then started checking it out. Pulled the cam sensor out and used a drill, had 60-75 psi. Ran the drill for about 10 minutes oil pressure stayed constant. Put the CS back in and unhooked the ecm plug by the battery. Used the starter to turn the engine over, no oil pressure!  :shrug: Pulled the CS again and used the drill. 60-75 psi. Let it sit for a while. Came back and started the drill off slow, it had no oil pressure. Increased the speed, and back to 60-75 psi.

Again talked to members here saying what I found. We decided to change the oil filter to another brand to see if the AC PF-52 was causing it to lose its prime. Installed new Fram oil filter and primed it with the drill again. Had 60-75 psi like before. Let it set for about 15 minutes, came back and started the drill off slow. At the low speed it had 20-35 psi instant. Put the car back together and started it. Let it run for about 45 minutes while watching the mechanical oil pressure gauge. At an idle it had about 25-30psi and about 55-60 when I raised the rpm. Turned it off and let it sit for about an hour. Came back started it up and all was good! :icon_super:

Don't know if it was just the one AC PF-52 that was the problem, or if they have a problem with their anti-drain back valves not working. Going to contact AC to inquire about this!

H O P E this problem is fixed ! ! ! Going to try again this weekend to go on a small trip. Again, I will have my phone FULLY charged and have the tow trucks number handy!  :powersix:

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: AC Oil Filter PF-52 Losing Prime ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: September 27 2011, 08:13:36 AM »
Scary.. I would mount an oil pressure gauge on the top of the steering wheel.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline gordyzx9r

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27 2011, 08:17:48 AM »
I've been using PF52 since I bought the car in '99 and I've never had an issue.  The PTE oil filter relocation piece I bought came with a Wix though and I've heard nothing but good things about Wix so I'll probably make the switch.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27 2011, 08:36:50 AM »
The filter have a stuck on label or printed? (apparently differences). Country of MFG?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Texas Turbo T

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27 2011, 08:43:52 AM »
The filter have a stuck on label or printed? (apparently differences). Country of MFG?

Paper label. part #19256043 AC Duraguard PF-52

Printed on top "11167FF 10:24, product of USA"

Just found this on another site: (However, mine does not have an "E" after the PF-52 on the label. It has six holes around the center hole. Looks like the old style)

"
ACDelco has announced a redesigned Original Equipment (OE) oil filter that offers ACDelco's exclusive Duraguard® media in a smaller package.
The new OE filter applications PF46E, PF47E, PF52E and PF61E will be installed in applicable new GM models.
The new oil filter features:
•    Increased efficiency and higher burst and collapse strength (Fig. 5, A) •    A new Nylon core that provides better flow characteristic s and improved collapse strength (Fig. 5, B) •    A full cover baseplate that allows easy installation in blind applications (Fig. 5, C) •    Duraguard media, ACDelco's trademarked synthetic cellulose-blended media that efficiently filters particles as small as 10 microns -- 1/3 the width of a human hair -- to ensure a clean supply of oil to engine components (Fig. 5, D) •    A combination relief and anti-drainback valve that prevents dry starts and assures oil flow (where applicable) (Fig. 5, E)
november_09_fi gure5.jpg
In addition to the new OE design oil filter applications, the original filters (PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61) continue to be available in a classic design.
ACDelco Part Number with Corresponding GM Part Number
Classic Design PF46; 19256041 PF47; 19256042 PF52; 19256043 PF61; 19256044
New OE Design PF46E; 19210283 PF47E; 19210284 PF52E; 19210285 PF61E; 19210286
For more information about the new ACDelco oil filters, refer to ACDelco bulletin #09D-142."
« Last Edit: September 27 2011, 09:03:09 AM by Texas Turbo T »

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27 2011, 11:30:35 AM »
Throw those filters away and get a good filter for God's sake. Seriously. Get a Wix or anything but what you're using now. We've had more problems with the cheap filters than you even want to know. The last time was on breaking in an engine. It had good oil pressure initially and after break in it wouldn't do more than 30 PSI max. Changed the phram to a Wix and everything was good again.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Texas Turbo T

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27 2011, 11:49:25 AM »
Throw those filters away and get a good filter for God's sake. Seriously. Get a Wix or anything but what you're using now. We've had more problems with the cheap filters than you even want to know. The last time was on breaking in an engine. It had good oil pressure initially and after break in it wouldn't do more than 30 PSI max. Changed the phram to a Wix and everything was good again.

The Fram Extended Guard filter was just to test it on Sunday (Napa was closed). Going to get a Wix filter from Napa this week.

Had used AC filters on my other gm vehicles with no issues before. Would have thought it should have been a quality part!

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27 2011, 12:58:53 PM »
Had used AC filters on my other gm vehicles with no issues before. Would have thought it should have been a quality part!

Unfortunately this isn't true anymore. The cheap filters that we grew up with are now pretty much junk, I'm sorry to say. They've been made so cheaply that they can cause issues with oil pressure and damage the engine. There's a thread on TB that had links in it to different filters that had been tested and the results. Wix is one of the better ones out there and phram, AC, STP are the worst of the bunch. Baldwin is also one of the better filters out there to use but trying to find one is the biggest problems it seems.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27 2011, 04:43:24 PM »
Which Wix filter should we use in lieu of the AC PF52?

Offline Texas Turbo T

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27 2011, 04:47:23 PM »

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27 2011, 09:39:07 PM »
Anybody find good prices for the Wix or Napa online?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Texas Turbo T

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29 2011, 03:13:54 AM »
Hello everyone,

Decided to take the car for a drive tonight. Weather was P E R F E C T!

Fired it up, had good oil pressure! (still have the Fram Extended Guard oil filter on it until I can go by Napa this Saturday)

Took it out and drove it to the car wash, finally! (10 miles from my home) Started it up, and it STILL had oil pressure ! ! !

Drove it about 60 miles tonight. Several stops and starts from red lights. :023: Had the boost set to 15 psi. (TT street chip is set for 18psi and 93 octane)

Everything went well ! ! ! :icon_super:

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29 2011, 08:53:23 AM »
BRAVO!!!
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Texas Turbo T

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29 2011, 12:26:31 PM »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #14 on: September 29 2011, 09:08:52 PM »
there are several Baldwin distributors located in my area including one of the Napas...use the locator on their web page...

As far as cost goes, consider the cost of a new engine resulting from a sorry filter compared to the filter price.

I believe the premium Napa filter is still a wix unit
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal