Author Topic: UPDATE on ScanMaster in green LED color  (Read 11352 times)

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
UPDATE on ScanMaster in green LED color
« on: August 11 2013, 10:58:28 AM »
Okay here is an updated of changing the ScanMaster LED from red to green color.
 Thank You Bob Bailey, a truly great Mad Scientist in his craft as an engineer. With Bob busy schedule, he still had time to help me out with the ScanMaster of changing the red to green color LED lights, and let me tell you it was no easy task. You need to have some experience with soldering and de-soldering PC boards components without burning off any trace wire which is part of the PC board wire connection.
 After replacing the green LED you would also need to double up on a 16 pin resistor network in order to brighten the output display.
 Bob also claimed: The red LED's are what they call "high efficiency red", so they are fairly bright. Unfortunately they don't make a "high efficiency green", so there is really nothing you can do to make them brighter. This is a true statement, but I still enjoy the way the green color ScanMaster looks with the rest of my green color dashboard.
 1st picture was taken when I was in the back seat
 2nd picture is a close up
 3rd picture just entering the car, and all pictures the gauges look bright since I did not have the parking lights or the head lights on for Dim mode.
 I also added a You Tube video of the ScanMaster in green color:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvxBuE16q5g
 Note: If anyone wants a green color lens, Bob will need a bunch of guys together in order for him to make the green color lens. But remember, changing the lens is the easy part, de-soldering and soldering the green LED'S is the hard part.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE on ScanMaster in green LED color
« Reply #1 on: August 11 2013, 08:59:03 PM »
Nice!

Bob supplied a 1.5mm display filter?
You are pretty good if you removed all 6 seven-segments and didn't lift any foil. 

Exactly why I considered but didn't go ahead with a mod kit.
Slightly easier to swap the display panel completely as I did but still fraught with peril.

Good Stuff!

-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12 2013, 08:36:23 AM »
Hi Dave,
I don't know what you mean by "Slightly easier to swap the display panel completely as I did but still fraught with peril."
Can you explain?

87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12 2013, 08:53:20 AM »
I would think replacing the entire display, attaching via a small ribbon cable, would be easier, especially for remote mounts. You could mount just a display panel, not have to mount the whole unit.

I don't have my Scanmaster open, nor did I scrutinize the circuit, I could be very wrong.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12 2013, 08:53:53 AM »
Slightly easier to swap the display panel completely as I did>

http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=2288.0
« Last Edit: August 12 2013, 08:59:21 AM by daveismissing »

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12 2013, 08:57:01 AM »
There's aren't LED panels in "stock" somewhere that would work?
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12 2013, 09:35:16 AM »
Any premade "panel" is likely using a serial rs232 interface or Hitachi LCD interface
6 digits is an "odd" number. Finding one exactly the right size would be astonomical.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12 2013, 09:45:29 AM »
Any premade "panel" is likely using a serial rs232 interface or Hitachi LCD interface
6 digits is an "odd" number. Finding one exactly the right size would be astonomical.

I'm not concerned with the size, couldn't you just wire up the display section remotely? Basically splice into the existing harness driving the installed LEDs?

This would be a great mod for Bob to do - a remote display option.

'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12 2013, 10:17:32 AM »
I would think replacing the entire display, attaching via a small ribbon cable, would be easier, especially for remote mounts. You could mount just a display panel, not have to mount the whole unit.

I don't have my Scanmaster open, nor did I scrutinize the circuit, I could be very wrong.

http://www.dtekk.com/display/rounddtekk.jpg
Can't leave the original display connected or the high efficiency leds will shunt all the current from the alternate display. So one is back to desoldering...

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12 2013, 10:38:11 AM »
 Ahh.. I see.

I just got a Raspberry Pi - I am thinking up cool uses for it in TR's..
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12 2013, 11:48:01 AM »

http://www.dtekk.com/display/rounddtekk.jpg
Can't leave the original display connected or the high efficiency leds will shunt all the current from the alternate display. So one is back to desoldering...

I like the idea of a 52mm design, but to redesign an existing one would not be cost effective.
Mr. Bob Bailey has already mention if there is enough members who wants a green color lens he will then produce them, but not for a couple of them.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12 2013, 11:51:53 AM »

I don't know if your TR is T-Top or not, nor do I know where your ScanMaster is located right now, but why don't you place it on the rear view mirror as where I placed mine?

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12 2013, 11:57:28 AM »

I don't know if your TR is T-Top or not, nor do I know where your ScanMaster is located right now, but why don't you place it on the rear view mirror as where I placed mine?

I plan to do something similar - not sure exactly where though.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12 2013, 12:07:16 PM »

If you do decide to place it by the rear view mirror, and if you like let me know I will make the bracket for you.
« Last Edit: August 12 2013, 12:16:11 PM by gnonyx »

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12 2013, 12:19:51 PM »

If you do decide to place it by the rear view mirror, and if you like let me know I will make the bracket for you.

W00t! Thanks, I will let you know.

If you want to sell them here - there's no fees or anything, have at it.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal