Author Topic: WTF-Somebody explain this one to me:  (Read 22762 times)

Offline Racer X

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hotrodbuick.com
Re: WTF-Somebody explain this one to me:
« Reply #15 on: January 05 2011, 11:01:36 PM »
Neither is Nair apparently   :jerkit;
2008 Charger SRT-8
2009 Challenger R/T
any questions?

Offline tb3

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06 2011, 09:26:18 AM »
cool.  I don't care about being the biggest either.  I just really want to be apart of a board that is fairly easy to find to new tb guys to help get the tech section going. tbs.com was way more credible than all the guys on the other site that claimed they didn't like it, would ever admit.  and imo, it was cause of the tech section. it'd be nice to have a atmosphere where most anybody could feel comfortable to post, specially the vendors. if traffic picked up, I wouldn't have to go anywhere else to find out about the latest and greatest going on he the tb world as far as products, parts, events, etc
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

DCEPTCN

WTF-Somebody explain this one to me:
« Reply #17 on: January 06 2011, 11:26:17 AM »
Quote from: "SuperSix @ Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:49 pm"
Elmer's is NOT make a good substitute for hand lotion..

Just sayin'
Try ATF.

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
WTF-Somebody explain this one to me:
« Reply #18 on: January 06 2011, 12:43:51 PM »
Quote from: "SuperSix @ Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:49 pm"
Elmer's is NOT make a good substitute for hand lotion..

Just sayin'

But Elmer's makes a mean breakfast...ma n I miss having an Elmer's around.

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07 2011, 01:11:31 PM »
Quote from: "tb3 @ Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:26 am"
cool.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
Quote from: "ULYCYC @ Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:11 pm"

Yep, I agree 100%

awesome!   ed you definetly are in the top 5 guys in the tb world i look up to!
and i see that earl brown just signed up over here.   :supz:

only one more obstacle to work out before i hang my hat at ihadav8  :reading:

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08 2011, 07:39:17 AM »
Quote from: "tb3 @ Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:58 pm"
Quote from: "ULYCYC @ Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:11 pm"

Yep, I agree 100%

awesome!
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08 2011, 08:39:27 AM »
zap??? is that a member here? or do you mean that electric car company?  I always thought they made some pretty cool stuff http://www.zapworld.com/

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08 2011, 09:10:17 AM »
cool.  I don't care about being the biggest either.  I just really want to be apart of a board that is fairly easy to find to new tb guys to help get the tech section going. tbs.com was way more credible than all the guys on the other site that claimed they didn't like it, would ever admit.  and imo, it was cause of the tech section. it'd be nice to have a atmosphere where most anybody could feel comfortable to post, specially the vendors. if traffic picked up, I wouldn't have to go anywhere else to find out about the latest and greatest going on he the tb world as far as products, parts, events, etc

OK - here's what I have to say about this.

As far as search engine rankings and ability to find the site - I am working on that with a member to increase our exposure. Apparently, I had blocked search engines from crawling the site, that has been fixed, and we are working on getting more hits and results on the search engines.

That being said, I guess this is somewhat of a "mission statement" for IHADAV8.com.

I have never had any inclination of being the biggest, or best message board of any type. I initially threw this up as a joke, about the time T6P came online. People were bitching on other boards about there being too many Buick boards. I had a hosting package, and a free database, so I put this board up. That's the origin of the "Y.A.B.B. - Yet Another Buick Board" statement.

Some good friends (DCEPTCN, RecklessRob, gordyzx9r, 87Natty, etc) started posting and telling people about it. We had some decent traffic - but traffic is something I was never concerned with. Some came and went, some stayed on, and some newer members brought a lot to the board, Bryan C, TSM Girl, Zap, etc.
I thought about taking it down a few times, but I noticed it's sort of a refuge for a few people, and I have no intentions of ever taking it down.

It has, and always will be about community - plain and simple.

I have pretty damn near free hosting, and can scale it VERY cheap if need be, so there's no real financial burden for me.

I don't know what will happen with the huge influx of new users - some will stay, most will go, which is fine with me. I think it's interesting the huge backlash over the sale at TBS, yet I still see the same people logged in over there that were the most vocal about the sale. And some stalwart TBS members registered here, and have their online status hidden. Again, that's fine with me, but either way, the sun will rise tomorrow, and we will be here - posting the same inane shit we always have. And that's the way we like it.

Honestly, there's only a handful of members here that I would miss if they left - the rest is just fluff. Of course, I want to accommodate as many people and preferences as possible, but at the least amount of impact to the tried and true members and friends I have on here.

I can only commit to continue trying to make it a better experience, and not crashing/blowing up the software. Other than that - it's up to the members to make this board compelling. I won't be doing giveaways or other useless shit to get people here to post, I have no motivation for that - I don't need to show X amount of page impressions to impress paying vendors. I don't have a ton of tech knowledge myself - I am far from ignorant, but nothing on the level of most competent TB owners.

We don't have any aspirations of being anywhere near as popular and high traffic as all the other boards. I make no bones about this being just a simple, funky corner of the web for Buick enthusiasts (and general car folk) to hang out at, talk shit, and be with friends.

I am considering purging long term non-posting 'members', as I think that if they aren't posting or contributing in someway, they really aren't members. No other board would do that - it looks bad to have a smaller user count - but again, I don't care about numbers or stats. (It is cool to see the page impressions after TBS.com got sold. :))

I am grateful that we do have some Buick tech cornerstones as posting members - so I would expect the tech area to be beneficial, but again, nothing like TB.com, TBS.com, GNTYPE.org forums, et al.

OK, enough of my rambling.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08 2011, 09:57:45 AM »
Personally I try to set my privacy/security options as high as the board allows.  Here, tbs, and most boards I have my profile set to invisible...fo r some reason tb doesn't allow it (or I've just been unable to discover where they hid that option).  

Yeah, it's been awhile...but I thought this board/bunker was brought about as the result of the secret forums at T6P and favoritism that was being shown to some over others.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08 2011, 11:08:15 AM »
Quote from: "gordyzx9r @ Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:57 am"
Personally I try to set my privacy/security options as high as the board allows.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08 2011, 11:48:11 AM »
I still frequent TBS, mostly from the MAGNA affiliation. If I would choose the perfect setup, it would be for MAGNA to be over here. Mark, I can't tell you how much I enjoy this site and have considered it my main Buick site. I am new to the Buick community compared to most but have been wrenching for 42 years. I don't post a whole lot, sorta still feel like an outsider.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08 2011, 11:50:50 AM »
Quote from: "Pyro6 @ Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:48 am"
I still frequent TBS, mostly from the MAGNA affiliation. If I would choose the perfect setup, it would be for MAGNA to be over here. Mark, I can't tell you how much I enjoy this site and have considered it my main Buick site. I am new to the Buick community compared to most but have been wrenching for 42 years. I don't post a whole lot, sorta still feel like an outsider.

Thanks for the kudos.

I could put up a MAGNA forum, but I think I would need permission, and they may not want to be affiliated with the site.

Keep posting, and contributing - I appreciate your membership here.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08 2011, 12:07:50 PM »
Thanks Mark. I need a site that doesn't make me want to hate my Buick.

Offline TSM Girl

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08 2011, 01:35:56 PM »
Well said Mark, well said. Thanks again for all you do on here.  (Ps, Paul Stanley would be so proud). :supz:  :supz:  :supz:  :supz:  :supz:  :supz:  :supz:  :supz:  :supz:  :supz:  :supz:
Donna

"Stupid people should NOT breed!"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal