Author Topic: Walbro 255 Install/Car Shut Off  (Read 18906 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Walbro 255 Install/Car Shut Off
« Reply #45 on: September 10 2013, 03:22:49 PM »
that is what happened to mine...Jack does not talk to people....neve r has.  But he is aggressive in defending his products when someone points out a problem

I suspect you will have to replug two wires, but the meter will tell the tale
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10 2013, 03:47:05 PM »
Actually, no meter needed. Just follow the  wires
Steve Wood

Offline stratman

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10 2013, 09:32:31 PM »
When i bought my pump and harness from racetronix they asked the colours on the wires going to the pump and sending unit. Apparantly there are two options and maybe you got the wrong one. Thats why he informed me to double check that the positive and negative match up to the positve and negative to the harness.

Offline stratman

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10 2013, 09:40:04 PM »
I know this is a little off topic but my stock pump that i had in the car held pressure for awile after i shut it off. I have since installed two of these walbro pumps and the pressure bleeds off almost instantly when i shut it down.i made sure the clamps were tight and even i jammed a smaller hose on the pump because even with the clamp super tight the hose felt funny. I have purchased all my injectors and wiring harnesses and even a sending unit and have been very happy with everything but these damn pumps.sorry to get off topic was just curious. Thanks

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10 2013, 09:59:08 PM »
assuming you have no leaky injectors, or regulator, the usual problem is the check valve in the pump that is supposed to prevent the gas from being pushed backward into the tank when turned off so that you have instant prime when you hit the key to start it again.  Seems to be a very common problem that it does not do its job.

I think these pumps are built like Fram oil filters inside
Steve Wood

Offline Joel Russo

• Harrisburg, PA
  • Bone Stock
  • PSI: 1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11 2013, 06:43:37 AM »
This Walbro pump was relatively cheap, and so was the wiring kit...

If a guy wanted the best pump, hanger, and wiring kit to go with it, what should he buy.  Keeping in mind, this is a street car that will probably see 10's at the track once in a blue moon.

I'm not opposed to replacing this whole deal down the road.. Hell, I've dropped the tank numerous times in the past two weeks...gettin g pretty good at it.
'87 GN, 14K miles, TE-60, 60lb inj, TT 5.7, 2800 10" NL conv, RJC 3" DP, Pypes exh w/ Race Pro, Walbro 255 w/Hotwire.

Offline stratman

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11 2013, 06:58:51 AM »
Ive checked everything on my car and i know its the pump cause i put my stock pump in and it holds pressure. My only complaint is is takes a second or two longer to start the car. I know if i claim warranty i will be told it is something i did so i dont bother. I am wondering if there are any other alternatives to buy. My car is a daily driver as long as the weather is nice so i definatly want reliability. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Steve

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11 2013, 07:56:26 AM »
This is a godsend for dropping fuel tanks.. Catch it on sale or drop a coupon - you will thank me later.  :icon_kidra:

http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-capacity-transmission-jack-39178.html

'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11 2013, 08:53:02 AM »
OOOOoooooo! I want one of those!
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11 2013, 09:15:54 AM »
I got one on sale for $49, IIRC..

Lifesaver for dropping tanks.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Joel Russo

• Harrisburg, PA
  • Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 11 2013, 09:54:28 AM »
This is a godsend for dropping fuel tanks.. Catch it on sale or drop a coupon - you will thank me later.  :icon_kidra:

http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-capacity-transmission-jack-39178.html

Sure, now you tell me.. :x
'87 GN, 14K miles, TE-60, 60lb inj, TT 5.7, 2800 10" NL conv, RJC 3" DP, Pypes exh w/ Race Pro, Walbro 255 w/Hotwire.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 11 2013, 10:21:21 AM »
Ive checked everything on my car and i know its the pump cause i put my stock pump in and it holds pressure. My only complaint is is takes a second or two longer to start the car. I know if i claim warranty i will be told it is something i did so i dont bother. I am wondering if there are any other alternatives to buy. My car is a daily driver as long as the weather is nice so i definatly want reliability. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Steve

yeah, I know what they will tell you.  Not wanting to be pissed off, I did not complain either.

The alternatives are, as I see it:

Try another pump, Buy a different brand pump, or live with it.....  If you use a Denso which is what is currently giving me trouble but I don't think it is the pump, then you have to cut a little notch in the gas tank lip to get it to drop in altho some say theirs went in without doing so.  There is a little nub sticking out of the fuel sending unit resistor that hangs up in most cases.  Earl said he trimmed it off a bit and it went...mine would not.  Pump is bigger and you have to kluge the mounting.  Pump only flows slightly more at 70 psi than the walbro 340 and pulls 50% more amperage so it definitely needs better wiring or it will get hot and that is not good.

The Deatschwerks pump is popular.  It's Chinese made and guaranteed for three years whatever that is worth.  Flows a little more and draws a bit more current.  It needs better wiring or you will notice that the wiring is warm at any weak spot along the route.  A few have said the pressure was too high at idle because of the volume being bypassed was too large for the return line size but I have one on my other car and it was fine.  I have seen a few go bad but I cannot say if the pumps were struggling due to inadequate wiring which caused them to overheat or just a bad pump.  You have to trim up the bottom of the pump or the bottom of the fuel hanger to get them mounted.

Eric sells a super 340 but states it may well need larger lines-particularly on the return size.  It looks pretty close to the Aeromotive 340 style that seems like it puts out so much more at low speed as well.  I think both of these mount just like the walbro in the hanger.

The problem with all these pumps is that they flow like crazy at low pressure and are great for normally aspirated cars but they don't put out much more at 25psi of boost than the walbros do.

I have wondered about putting a check-valve in the line back at the tank end to hold the pressure but also wondered how it would affect flow volume.

If the the factory fp relay is good so that the pump runs for that two second period when you turn the key on, normally the car should fire up right away even if the pressure has dropped.  If the factory relay, which is still used when triggering a hot wire kit is used, is bad, then it is going to have to crank until the oil pressure comes up above 4 psi or so to get the fuel pump circuit activated.  You might make sure that original relay is working.
Steve Wood

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 11 2013, 10:25:16 AM »
This Walbro pump was relatively cheap, and so was the wiring kit...

If a guy wanted the best pump, hanger, and wiring kit to go with it, what should he buy.  Keeping in mind, this is a street car that will probably see 10's at the track once in a blue moon.

I'm not opposed to replacing this whole deal down the road.. Hell, I've dropped the tank numerous times in the past two weeks...gettin g pretty good at it.

The Denso is reputed to be the best quality if you don't mind doing some hacking to get it to fit because it is much larger in diameter than the stock pump, does not fit the factory hanger, and is hard to get thru the sending unit hole in the top of the tank without some modding.

As John Spina of Caspers does not seem to be doing any new Buick stuff, we seem to be stuck with
racetronix for the wiring unless someone comes along and starts offering one.  I guess the limited market does not help
Steve Wood

Offline 278CIKILLER

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11 2013, 10:50:14 AM »
Quad Air The mans name is Red Armstrong 1-440-235-3232 great fuel pumps.

Offline stratman

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11 2013, 12:47:30 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. The relay comes on for two seconds and shuts down as it should if i dont start the car. My guess is there is probably no check valve at all. As the summer is over and i will only drive the car another month or so i will worry about it next year. I will keep all those options you guys give me open and maybe order something over the winter. I really hate having to spend money on parts two and three times over. Sometimes i wonder if its better to let it sit in the driveway and just look at it cuz everytime i start it lately it costs more than just gas lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal