Author Topic: Newbie w. New GN  (Read 101645 times)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie w. New GN
« Reply #90 on: June 06 2012, 08:42:01 PM »
polish, grind and backcut them. They'll flow almost as good as aftermarket valves.

If you change over to aftermarket valves you need to cut the guides for seals.

L to R..   SS Ferrea, backcut stock, stock
« Last Edit: June 06 2012, 08:53:51 PM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06 2012, 08:46:24 PM »
I tried to clean it as well as possible, attached are the pictures. I have read elsewhere that this should be a 2 piece inconel valve. Is there any way to tell for sure? To me it looks like a single piece, so where is the two pieces.

Also the entire valve attracts to a strong magnet, albeit significantly less than if it were carbon steel (a retrieval tool magnet won't pick it up).

Anyway let me know what you guys think now that it is cleaned.

Bryes
'87 T-Top GN, 51k (151K?) mostly stock, freshened engine, 206 / 206 cam, adjustable waste gate link, 42 lb inj., TT chip, scanmaster, boost & fp gauge, hotwire, 17 psi

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 06 2012, 11:05:24 PM »
Thanks for the pictures earlbrown. Your stock valve looks very similar to the other (not pictured) valves I have inspected that were in good cylinders. The pictured valve had AL shards from the burnt piston, they did seem to clean up pretty well with the wire brush. Maybe I can use my exhaust valves after all.
'87 T-Top GN, 51k (151K?) mostly stock, freshened engine, 206 / 206 cam, adjustable waste gate link, 42 lb inj., TT chip, scanmaster, boost & fp gauge, hotwire, 17 psi

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
Update: Heads OK
« Reply #93 on: June 16 2012, 10:44:58 PM »
Looks like I finally caught a break on this motor. I delivered the heads to Ohio to have them rebuilt at Mason's auto parts in Akron (have dealt with them for years). I heard from them this week that all of my valves inspected as good. As it appeared to me, the guides are all good and the vales and heads were straight and not cracked. So it looks like it will cost me just $120 to completed the heads.

Thanks to everyone again, especially Just a Six? (btw sorry for calling you Super Six in my previous post) for offering up those spare parts. I'll be going back to Ohio over the 4th, I plan on working on a few things then, so that my be my next update. Hopefully I can get a short block together at least for fall... we'll see.

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
Another Update
« Reply #94 on: July 29 2012, 09:25:54 PM »
A little update on the car, although I haven't worked on it much down here.

I picked up the heads in Ohio from Mason's Auto over 4th, and was unpleasantly presented a $300 bill. Although they were supposed to call me about any overages past the $120 that we initially agreed on (I made this clear multiple times), I was never notified other than valve seals which were not that expensive. $90 of the 180 overage was to mill the heads, (no idea about how far they were out if any ). The remainder of the charge was for the seals and to install and adjust the new valve springs.

On inspection, there are metal filings in the heads, so I am still going to have to disassemble and clean them. Overall I am not happy with the work, if I had it to do over again I would do it differently. 

While I was up there I was able to abrasive blast the valve covers and intake. I tried unsuccessfully using baking powder first, eventually moving up to glass beads and finally fine sand to get the job done. I also started to blast the exhaust up to the catalytic converter, but ran out of time. Blasting the exhaust as rusty as it is will be a lot easier once I have my "new" compressor going with a pressure feed blaster next time I am up there.  With it blasted I plan on finishing up the intake in the next few weeks.

I have cleared out some space in our dining room, and I am going to be moving my engine assembly area inside where there is AC. Hopefully this will allow me to expedite this project :) Time will only tell how this decision goes over with the better half :chin: , but I think she will enjoy the extra time she'll be able to spend with me on the weekends :atbeer:

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29 2012, 10:16:50 PM »
How have you made sure you got ALL the fine sand out of the EGR passage in the intake?  It might be worth it to have the hole welded shut.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 30 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
I am a little concerned about that egr port, I haven't done a really thorough cleaning yet. I think between brushes and my binks 140b it will all come out, but we'll see.

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 12 2012, 10:55:40 PM »
Here's a little before and after of the intake. Coincidently or not, my wife decided to take a vacation as soon as she saw car parts in the dining room. So now as you can see from the pictures, I have also taken over the living room for my intake "assembly station". It's too hot outside down here in Georgia so desperate times call for desperate measures!

Next weekend I have to clean, inspect and paint the heads.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #98 on: August 13 2012, 09:21:29 AM »
Looks good! :)  Tie wrap all the hoses so they cannot pop off under boost.  Make sure the injector harness is not pinched, or laying against the egr valve, or the coil mounting bracket....not pretty when it shorts out :)
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 13 2012, 10:44:50 AM »
Very nice.

Did you use some sort of etching cleaner?

Here's mine, copious cleaning, and painted with flat aluminum and low gloss black engine enamel.

No more EGR - see last pic. Most chips don't use it, and it's kind of an eyesore to me. I was already ordering a new flexplate from Full Throttle Speed, so I added an EGR block off plate.

'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 13 2012, 06:40:49 PM »
Heck they both look good! I had an engine in my dining room with an ex girlfriend once but when the wife came along that stopped pretty quick! Altho I still have a set of GN-1 heads & assorted new stuff in my office that have been here a few years now!  :player:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 13 2012, 08:24:37 PM »
Thanks Steve, I'll be sure to check on that and add those wire-ties. Actually I looked at it a second ago and one of the hoses (orig '87 so I shouldn't be surprised) was pretty well cracked. Better change that as well.

Looks sharp Super Six :023: . I like that color combo. I'm halfway thinking about pin-striping the upper plenum and valve cover fins with red and yellow stripes :powersix: .

After copious amounts of cleaning I actually had to sand-blast intake and upper-plenum with fine "black beauty" to remove all of the corrosion and over-spray. Fortunately I the was able to get away with just cleaning the throttle body. Most of the hardware I wired brushed and then rattle canned. I spent way too much time on that EGR, so eyesore or not it is staying! :rock:

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 13 2012, 09:27:11 PM »
Maybe when you have your new compressor fine tuned I'll send a set of valve covers for a cleanup & we can trade some parts for labour!  :player:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 13 2012, 09:34:54 PM »
Thanks Steve, I'll be sure to check on that and add those wire-ties. Actually I looked at it a second ago and one of the hoses (orig '87 so I shouldn't be surprised) was pretty well cracked. Better change that as well.

Looks sharp Super Six :023: . I like that color combo. I'm halfway thinking about pin-striping the upper plenum and valve cover fins with red and yellow stripes :powersix: .

After copious amounts of cleaning I actually had to sand-blast intake and upper-plenum with fine "black beauty" to remove all of the corrosion and over-spray. Fortunately I the was able to get away with just cleaning the throttle body. Most of the hardware I wired brushed and then rattle canned. I spent way too much time on that EGR, so eyesore or not it is staying! :rock:

Looks great - good work!
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 13 2012, 10:28:51 PM »
Maybe when you have your new compressor fine tuned I'll send a set of valve covers for a cleanup & we can trade some parts for labour!  :player:

I'm on board with that.  I hope to work on that beast over labor day so we'll see what happens.

Looks great - good work!

Thanks, if the rest of the engine looks 1/2 as good as yours I'll be happy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal