Author Topic: Newbie w. New GN  (Read 98284 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Newbie w. New GN
« Reply #300 on: May 03 2015, 05:44:36 PM »
maybe look for a bad connection at the iac plug?

My cars have always started with a leaking injector with no problem but they would miss a bit and start to run better when the throttle was opened a bit...never had more than one injector leak, tho...a leaking injector will usually drop the pressure within five minutes or so
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Newbie w. New GN
« Reply #301 on: May 03 2015, 07:07:44 PM »
What's the MAF at cold idle when you first fire it up?
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 03 2015, 08:08:56 PM »
I'll have to check the cold maf number tommorow. I drove the car today and there wasn't any starting issues, idle iac read 20 when I looked. A little while later it. was like 60 or80, both readings were in park. I picked up a new iac and might throw it in.
'87 T-Top GN, 51k (151K?) mostly stock, freshened engine, 206 / 206 cam, adjustable waste gate link, 42 lb inj., TT chip, scanmaster, boost & fp gauge, hotwire, 17 psi

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 11 2015, 10:26:21 AM »
I checked afs at cold startup today and I saw a 14 then it held at 15 and then worked its way down from there.

I bought an iac and snapped it while installing. Not sure it even bottomed before snapping.
Had to remove the snapped bit with an easy out.  In the mean time Icleaned the OEM iac and for now my starting issues have been solved.I haven't driven it that much so probably not really fixed.

I've driven the car some more to test it, keeping it under the speed where I saw the kr and low o2s and haven't seen any issues since. o2s are always more than 780 at wot and no retard. I haven't gone wot at highway speed which produced the kr before,, but I'm working up there gradually and making sure my o2s aren't lower than 780.Does this seem like a good strategy ? Also Ishould add that my fp is always solid .If I get time I'm installing the powerlogger..
'87 T-Top GN, 51k (151K?) mostly stock, freshened engine, 206 / 206 cam, adjustable waste gate link, 42 lb inj., TT chip, scanmaster, boost & fp gauge, hotwire, 17 psi

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 11 2015, 10:54:40 PM »
Go to the track...where it's SAFE...and make a balls out run with Erics chip on the default settings. Have a look at the PL log...and make your adjustments. Kills me watching guys piss gazzillions of dollars way on cool guy crap...but can't spend a couple of bucks on PL. Okay. I'll quit ranting. :)
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 12 2015, 08:22:02 AM »
INSTALL POWER LOGGER INSTALL POWER LOGGER INSTALL POWER LOGGER INSTALL POWER LOGGER INSTALL POWER LOGGER INSTALL POWER LOGGER INSTALL POWER LOGGER INSTALL POWER LOGGER INSTALL POWER LOGGER INSTALL POWER LOGGER INSTALL POWER LOGGER INSTALL POWER LOGGER!

You're not completely in the dark since you have the scanmaster but having the power logger installed is like flying at night with night vision goggles.  OWN THE DARKNESS!
Then make a run and record the run with the INSTALLED POWER LOGGER.  After the run, upload the log here so all those smarter than me folks can analyze it for you.  They really can help!
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
Another Setback
« Reply #306 on: May 13 2015, 09:08:41 PM »
Because the general consensus was slightly  :icon_lol: in favor of me installing the pl  I've had it since fall and kind of forgot, I fired up the car to back it outside and the stupid ses light was on!

So now I'm looking at a code 42 which as I remember was one of the codes I had before and solved with a new ecm awhile back.. I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is but I'm considering trying an ignition module. Id. have to get one from a part store and have heard they're hit or miss.

I've restarted it acouple times and it will fire and the ses light will go out when it does. Then the light will go on again after afew seconds.  Haven't driven since the light illuminated but the final time the ignition did seem to cut out for a second once.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 13 2015, 10:10:41 PM »
In the old days, cars that had the Translator T installed often had this problem, but, I am pretty sure that you have the regular Translator that does not have the timing adjustment so...

Most of the time, it is the ignition module-particularly if you have an aftermarket module but before trying another module check the wiring as per the link for good connections.

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/code_42.htm 

If you have to get a module, the Standard brand is usually the most likely to work.  Think it is the Wells that is almost always a pos.
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 14 2015, 07:24:19 PM »
Steve...is it only the GM ignition modules that will work with an aftermarket tach?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 14 2015, 10:37:14 PM »
Brad, I am not 100% sure, but, I don't think they will.  I know they won't work with vdo tachs, but, I don't think they will work on any of them.  I say this because Caspers coil/module tester will not work on them because the aftermarket modules appear to use a different wave form signal
Steve Wood

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 16 2015, 10:22:51 PM »
Steve, once again your site proves invaluable,so thanks again for all your expertise.  I got through the first position in the flow chart and I think I determined that, my ignition module was indeed bad. I probed the b4 terminal and found the resistance to ground to be 10,000 ohms. Then a checked the resistance to the I.M. wiring harness under the hood and it was two tenths of an ohm. Finally I measured resistance at the I.M. "A" terminal and it was off the meter high. So I'll be ordering a standard module ASAP. Once again thanks.

Tomorrow I may put in the PL if I get time.

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 27 2015, 11:58:04 AM »
I made a mistake in my previous post. When I probed the b4 terminal I had the key off when it should have been on. When I turned the key on the resistance dropped below 200ohms. So as it turns out my ignition module might be good. I ordered a new standard l.m. off the internet and it sfill didnt. fix the problem.

So here is the deal, the diagnostic flow chart states that a test light connected to 12 v should not illuminate when connected to the ecm d5 terminal. With either of my ignition modules hooked up my light illuminates, maybe not too bright though. The light goes out when I disconnect the module, so the circuit isn't grounded. I've tested the wiring other ways. and so I'm convinced the wiring is good.

So I think that either both modules have failed exactly the same or the ecm went bad again and my test light is too touchy. It will illuminate a little if I touch the probe with one hand and ground my other hand . Any ideas?

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 03 2015, 04:06:29 PM »
I installed aother ecm over the weekend with the powerlogger too and the code 42 went away.   I drove the car a few miles and found the ignition breaking up some under boost which is a new development.

I pulled into the garage and the car stalled, restarted again, and that stupid check engine light came back on!!! Same code 42.
So in review, since installing the motor  I've been through 3 ecms and 2 ignition modules and am still getting a code 42 . Both  times when the ecm is replaced the code is temporarily fixed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 03 2015, 09:03:31 PM »
Did you take a really good look at the ign module cable connector? ECM connector?

You tried it without the powerlogger?
« Last Edit: June 03 2015, 09:33:22 PM by daveismissing »
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 04 2015, 08:51:06 AM »
The "A" Connector in my ignition terminal  is a little suspect. It was recessed a little more than the adjacent connectors but I was able to adjust it back in line. I'm not sure how to decide it, but that blade that makes contact with the ignition module "A" male part, is a little mashed down.   I can't find a way to bend it back.

It always seemed to make contact when I worked through the dagnostic chart. and the see light was constant, so I didn't think it was the problem. Another development last night was when I moved the car the see light was out.. so maybe I need to eliminate that terminal as a possibility. Does caspers sell that part?

The problem predates the powerlogger.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal