Author Topic: Oil Filter bypass removal  (Read 2225 times)

Offline ss/gn

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Oil Filter bypass removal
« on: August 06 2018, 08:17:43 PM »
Looking for any ideas on how to remove oil filter bypass from the filter adapter without destroying it. I want to put it back in after a cleaning.
Thanks in advance   :cheers:
It's just a six cylinder, you can't loose
Kevin

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Oil Filter bypass removal
« Reply #1 on: August 06 2018, 08:22:35 PM »
Looked at one that I have on the shelf.  Appears to be a metal donut holding the spring on the backside of the adapter.  I guess you have to figure out how to pull it out without doing damage to it so you can tap it back in...like a mini-wheel bearing seal that goes on top of the bearing
« Last Edit: August 06 2018, 08:48:53 PM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07 2018, 01:21:56 AM »
The easiest and more workmanlike method is to replace the oil filter adapter with a new one.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline ss/gn

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07 2018, 06:45:26 AM »
Looking at grinding the flashing and sand blast the cover so I am concerned of any dirt getting trapped in the spring.
It's just a six cylinder, you can't loose
Kevin

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07 2018, 04:31:51 PM »
In that case, you're just begging for a ground up engine.   Glass can embed firmly into soft aluminium and then become a metered grit distribution device.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal