Author Topic: My new (to me) 1986 White T-Type  (Read 11992 times)

Offline gordyzx9r

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
My new (to me) 1986 White T-Type
« on: July 10 2012, 11:43:34 PM »
Well, I bought it and brought her home. 

Here is what I know of it so far:

1986 T-Type
ARP Studs w/ Billet Caps
Comp Cam 212/212
RJC Power Plate
TE45A
PTE Turbo Saver
60lbs. Inj.
340 w/Hotwire Kit
70mm TB
Pat's 3200 L/U
SE Turbo 3" DP
Razor's PAC Alky
TT chip
LS1 MAF
BGC SLIC
Scanmaster
Dynomax Exhaust
Boxed Arms
Moog Springs,
UMI Lowers
Hotchkis Bar

Originally a TX car with 71.5K miles on the body, no idea what's on the power train or even sure if it's what originally came with the car or not (stock motor, stock transmission and G80 rear end). 

It is clear of rot except for one spot...right rear fender along the body crease at waist level it was scratched/gouged down to the metal while being worked on at a shop.  The shop put it outside in the elements for a few weeks and it started showing corrosion.  My friend sanded it down and painted it with white primer to keep it from getting worse. 

Blue interior.  It was caged at one time, but it was removed.  Apparently it was a staged race car but the stage motor was taken out and they scraped together a motor and threw it in.  Front bumper is fiberglass but someone painted the rear chrome bumper white and the idiot at the shop scraped one pretty good so now the chrome is showing on the left rear.

I've repaired some of the electrical gremlins, got the speedo working, the tail lights (connector by steering column), got the fans going again (bad wiring), and some other things.

He blew both head gaskets...and in the process of getting it repaired it was discovered that the valves were leaking so he had the heads replaced with the new stock heads.  Those were just both replaced by Bill Ragland so I know they were done right.

What I know it needs:

It's not idling right, you have to keep giving it gas to keep it running for the first few minutes.  No malfunction codes.  And I haven't had time to get the numbers off the scan master, but I thought I saw .54 on the TPS.

Transmission fluid is leaking from the lines going to the radiator. 

Fuel gauge isn't working.

Brakes need to be purged and the fluid replaced, possibly a new accumulator ball. 

I think it needs a completely redone engine harness as we're constantly finding frayed/exposed wires on it. 

It's going to need a paint job, nothing crazy...just a plain jane white paint job with out the trim or emblems.  Even considering having the spoiler removed and the antenna hole filled in. 

Maybe a new carpet, but at the very least I need to look under there to see what the condition is after they removed the cage.

In the papers that came with the car I found the original ebay ad for it that my friend purchased it via, unfortunately plugging in the item # doesn't work (I guess since it's been so long). 

This is from the eBay ad:
Starting bid:  $8K
White ext. w/black out trim and blue int.
One owner car with original title from 1986
Car has approx. 72K original miles on the body
The car was previously modified and has been returned to close to stock cond.
The car was in GMHTP and a copy of the magazine will be provided to the new owner

Fresh eng. and xmsn. < 300 miles
Engine built to stock w/exception of Billet Main Caps, ARP studded bottom end, Comp Cams 212/212 Cam
Xmsn. rebuilt with very mild shift kit and teflon seals
Fuel Inj. 42lbs.
Boxed rear upper and lower control arms with new bushings
New KYB shocks front/rear
New Moog rear springs
New Moog Sway bar end links
Wildwood manual proportioning valve to adjust the brake bias
New AC Delco fuel pump
New stock MAF pipe
New turbo hose/clamps
Stock airbox setup w/new filter
Stock exhaust
tbs.com mini starter
4 core stock style radiator with oil and xmsn cooler built in

I paid $4500...I think I got a good deal out of it. 

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
Re: My new (to me) 1986 White T-Type
« Reply #1 on: July 10 2012, 11:45:36 PM »
Pics of the engine bay:

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10 2012, 11:47:03 PM »
More pics:

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10 2012, 11:48:51 PM »
More pics:

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10 2012, 11:51:59 PM »
More pics:

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10 2012, 11:54:11 PM »
More pics:

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10 2012, 11:56:09 PM »
More pics:

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10 2012, 11:57:33 PM »
More pics:

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11 2012, 12:05:41 AM »
It has some kind of wild Kenwood deck that he put in it...no idea if it works, it lights up though (lol).  No idea if the speakers work or whats in those CSII speaker boxes on the doors.

It came with a complete set of urethane bushings, so I'll have the worn out stock ones replaced soon too.

First thing first...get it to idle right/drivable without stalling and the brakes. 

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11 2012, 08:20:07 AM »
I think you did well, taking a SWAG at what you need to fix it up right you will be well "ahead" of me and I suspect Mark.

Suggest a power logger right off the bat. I would have saved much frustrating trouble shooting as seen elsewhere.

Is the wife talking to you yet?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11 2012, 08:40:50 AM »
I would have bought that in a heartbeat for 4500.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
Good price for that car!! Have Fun!!  :atbeer:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 11 2012, 09:27:45 AM »
Looks like a bargain to me...I love the white and the gray cars.  I know you like to replace everything on your cars so they are all new, but, that car does not really look like it needs much other than a little time to go thru it and get everything working.   That a helicopter instrument panel :)?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11 2012, 01:09:33 PM »
I think you did well, taking a SWAG at what you need to fix it up right you will be well "ahead" of me and I suspect Mark.

Suggest a power logger right off the bat. I would have saved much frustrating trouble shooting as seen elsewhere.

Is the wife talking to you yet?

Yeah, she got over it pretty quick...the issue is that I literally have no place to keep it.  I don't want it outdoors given the paint (lack thereof) condition on some areas of the car.  So I'm having to keep it in the trailer, in my storage lot until I sort this out...since we're selling the house and moving I don't want to invest anything in the house that I'm not going to get back out of it.

I would have bought that in a heartbeat for 4500.

Sorry the timing didn't work out, my schedule got discombobulate and my friend had to jump through some hoops when his truck broke down the day I drove down to pick the car up.

Looks like a bargain to me...I love the white and the gray cars.  I know you like to replace everything on your cars so they are all new, but, that car does not really look like it needs much other than a little time to go thru it and get everything working.   That a helicopter instrument panel :) ?

The instrument panel comment is funny, the guy I bought it from is a pilot and I was one.

I'm not a fan of white cars, I'd rather have a grey one or a burgundy one.  But given the price and what I got I can't really complain.  This car won't be getting the financial attention that the GN gets.  What I really wanted was a bone stock, unmolested '86/'87 T-Type or T that I could get down and dirty on and learn the ropes.  I didn't have time to do that when I was in the Army with the GN and have always had to take it somewhere to get whatever I needed done on it.  Having to play with a car that has who knows what kinds of modifications and parts on it are probably difficult enough for experts let alone a novice. 

It'll be fun, I'm looking forward to getting it running right...with minimal dollars being thrown at it.

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11 2012, 01:15:37 PM »
What is the intent behind the Wildwood manual proportioning valve to adjust the brake bias?  What does that mean exactly?

In the trunk, I have to be honest...I don't think I've ever looked under my carpet in the GN.  Are they all like that or does this T-Type have an access panel to the top of the gas tank to get to the fuel pump?

Is that an RJC boost controller?  You can see it in one of the engine bay pics I think in the 2nd or 3rd post.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal