Author Topic: crank sensor adjustment  (Read 2071 times)

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
crank sensor adjustment
« on: November 08 2014, 09:13:10 PM »
I have already read this and gnttype
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/cranksensor.htm

I need some advice on how to adjust I can't find a position that doesn't rub.   

I havn't seen a two liter bottle with the black plastic botton cap in 10 + years :icon_eyes: and I don't have any credit cards I can cut up.

Both crank sensors I have are much larger than the one pictured.  The one in the picture looks like it would be easier to adjust. I kind of remember that mayber their was a revision to the crank sensor is that true?

The balancer came with this engine (used short block) the crank sensor came off my old engine. No problem with this sensor before, don't know about the current balancer.

« Last Edit: November 08 2014, 09:32:46 PM by dyermullet »

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: crank sensor adjustment
« Reply #1 on: November 09 2014, 02:22:56 AM »
The smaller sensor in the pictures is the newer style.  I installed one tonight and was actually able to adjust it.  No more scraping sound. 
Then I took the car on the first real drive (60 miles) since putting it all together.  Engine runs terrible, new transmission starting shifting all funky, and when I turn on the cruse the car go WOT.  Guess I have some more work to do.  :icon_eyes:   

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 09 2014, 10:26:30 AM »
Cannot help you with the tranny.

Cruise control troubleshootin g is on my site, I believe.

Check the crank sensor for clearance on both sides on all three blades.  Crank the car, get under it and watch the balancer to see it is wobbling while running..also have someone blip the throttle a few times while watching to see if the balancer moves forward or backward much.

Be sure the cam sensor is set properly and not 180 degs out.

Ohm the coil packs to see if they all look okay.

Look at the vacuum and see if it is not only where it should be at idle but also that it is steady and not jumping around.  If the needle is jumping around, check for vacuum leaks.  If you don't find one, start disconnecting one injector clip at a time and see if the idle slows down each time you pull the connector.  If you disconnect a connector and the idle does not drop, you have a cylinder that is not firing and you need to find out why.  If you have two cylinders that do not affect anything and they are on the same coil pack, then you have a coil or module problem....

Make sure there is no leakage around the base of the egr valve when it is running.  Also lift the diaphragm up with your fingers from the bottom and see if it runs very badly and then let it go to see it goes back to a steady idle.  Do this before it gets too hot.

Check the compression on all cylinders.  Disconnect the cam sensor, remove all plugs, install the gauge, hold the gas pedal on the floor and crank the engine over about ten blips.  Write the compression reading down...do for all cylinders and compare.  I like to run the engine a few seconds before I start testing to be sure there is a little oil on the cylinder walls for better sealing but not long enuf to burn myself too much.

When you pull the plugs, check all for proper appearance and no oil coating, no wet fuel on them, and signs they have been firing.

Obviously be sure the tps is set properly, the maf readings are correct, and the O2s are right before you get too far a long

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09 2014, 01:35:19 PM »
I solved the crank sensor problem.  For anyone that might stuble across this thread in a search, if you have the original style crank sensor save yourself some grief and replace with the new design.  It is drastically easier to set the clearance on. 

Thanks a lot for the info steve I will start working through it. 

I was more venting than asking for help so I wasn't expecting the guidance, it is a good head start.  I am mostly dissapointed that it is taking so much extra work to get this car back on the road, combined with no parts available.

Now to call the trans builder to discuss part throttle 1st gear shift very late, and very hard. Oh and the speedo is wrong.  :068:
« Last Edit: November 09 2014, 01:39:36 PM by dyermullet »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal