Author Topic: The Oil?  (Read 7810 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
The Oil?
« on: September 08 2018, 05:54:53 PM »
I was surfin and came across this article on bearing clearances
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/03/bearing-clearances/

and in the same thing the next article was about small engines and such and there was some info in there about the engine mfg coming with their own oil formulas
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2018/05/spring-has-sprung-will-landscape-engines-grow-your-business/

Specifically Kawasaki and Kohler and them having zddp in their oils.
http://www.kawasakienginesusa.com/engine/accessories/kawasaki-4-cycle-engine-oil
So i did some more and the Kawasaki site has theirs so I hit ebay.

Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Re: The Oil?
« Reply #1 on: September 08 2018, 06:04:17 PM »
Now the page is giving me, "body of message left blank errors. not sure what im doing wrong.

Rich

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08 2018, 06:07:58 PM »
http://pqiadata.org/QuakerState_Defy_HM_5W30.html

I'm using this now.

But the place that I was getting it from stopped carrying it.
I guess this Kawasaki stuff will come right to my front door, and people wonder why brick and mortar is dying.

Rich

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Rich

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08 2018, 07:22:21 PM »
I was surfin and came across this article on bearing clearances
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/03/bearing-clearances/

I don't think I've ever seen a more simplistic article on that website.   I like how the first paragraph pretended like measuring clearance with a mic and bore gauge was ''high tech'' and not the norm.  (the didn't mention checking the bores without the bearings in them first).

If you really want to learn about oil and how it actually works inside of an engine, read this entire thing....

....then read it again, and again, and again until every bit of it has been absorbed and processed.   https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/motor-oil-all-chapters-inclusive-copy-and-save-this.136052/
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08 2018, 10:01:54 PM »
IhaveaV8

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09 2018, 12:00:34 PM »
Some motorcycle oils are designed for dual duties to include wet clutches. Be careful and read the application first. Better yet be safe and buy oil for automotive or truck use.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09 2018, 12:47:09 PM »
This Kawasaki stuff is for small air cooled engines. I happened to notice it has zinc In it for the cam I would think. Doubt they are using a roller cam in em. The Kohler stuff didn't mention the zinc in their description. Might have it, might not.

Mostly in trying to avoid buying a ten dollar bottle of the zddp stuff if I can get oil with the zinc already in it. And it gets shipped right to my door all the better. Down side it is about $6.50/qt. I'll have to do some math. I can get a bottle of stp stuff with the zinc for $3-4 so that and cheap Dino oil or some thing synthetic with the 0w-xx for the start up a cording to the eb ferrarichat post is what I should be looking for. Might give the 0w-20 a try over the winter and see where the oil pressure goes. So many choices.

Another thing that stuck me was the view of the Dr on the ferrarichat was against additives to the oil but he isn't running a 30yr old pushrod motor that needs the zinc in the oil.

I did get a six pack of wix 51036 on the cheap as I can use em on the 3.1 in the Malibu as well as the T.
« Last Edit: September 09 2018, 12:51:52 PM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09 2018, 04:10:34 PM »
If you just want zinc just dump a bottle of stp in it. Under $3 at Wally World.
IhaveaV8

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09 2018, 04:38:24 PM »
Interesting read!  I like his definition of cold. :icon_lol:   I remember having a bottle of 10w30 full synthetic at -50 and it was grease!!

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10 2018, 02:14:26 AM »
Some motorcycle oils are designed for dual duties to include wet clutches. Be careful and read the application first. Better yet be safe and buy oil for automotive or truck use.

Try triple duties...     They have to do normal oil duties, not make a wet clutch slip AND put up with the shearing effects of transmission gears.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline aminga

• Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10 2018, 10:06:21 AM »
One time I picked up a bottle of Dollar General Brand motor oil and it was still SAE SG rated.
86 Regal T-type. One Owner. Twisted 6 Racing Built 109, FTSS Revolution X 206/210 Cam, T&D 1.65 Rockers, Diamond Forged Pistons, RJC Power Plate, TA6262DBB, PTE SLIC, Alkycontrol pump and Kit and ISAC Controller, Bailey TR6 Wastespark, TA Headers, ATR Downpipe, Racetronix Walbro pump and hot wire ki

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #12 on: September 10 2018, 05:56:57 PM »
I believe 540rat way more than I do the guys on Bobtheoilguy.  He really brings out the hates but I believe him far more than the Ibelieveinmagi c guys.

He is in direct opposition to the "can't get enuf zddp" clique but his views tend to fall in line with the GM factory engineers, Porsche, etc.

Valvoline oils continue to test well and I admit to being surprised how well some Amzoil oils test.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10 2018, 10:44:14 PM »
Interesting read!  I like his definition of cold. :icon_lol:   I remember having a bottle of 10w30 full synthetic at -50 and it was grease!!
I had a Cherokee up in Alaska and we had a cold spell where it got to -72 below. Jeep sat outside, plugged in of course, for a few days.  The old 4.0 fired right up but she didn't move because the diff was froze solid. That's when I learned about gear oil viscosities for the Arctic environment
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile