Author Topic: Help Me With Slicks  (Read 6451 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Help Me With Slicks
« on: September 20 2015, 04:41:20 PM »
I'm using an old pair of 10.5's for Armdrop. Before you guys start calling me cheap and use new or newer...have a listen. This 'track' is on a WW2 era airfield...and the tarmac dates back to when it was built. Motorhead Mike has slalom raced his TR up there...and will confirm that the stone has risen to the top...and the 'track' is as coarse as all hell. It tears tires to shreds.

Question 1. The car is in stealth mode with the stock GN rims...with the 10.5's mounted on the rears. Keep in mind that those 10,5's are suppose to be mounted on a minimum 8" rim. Recommended tire pressure for the widest contact patch?

Question 2. These slicks are old. I've heard you can spray them with WD-40 to soften them up. Any truth to that? Any ideas to soften them up a bit?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: Help Me With Slicks
« Reply #1 on: September 20 2015, 08:12:33 PM »
Lots of burn out.

If they are tuned and screwed you can go pretty low. With out tubes and not screwed it could spin em on the rim. I'd hit a back street and do some launches and look at the patch to see what you are getting. With the little rim low pressure will be needed to get the center down. Id probably start at 15psi and work down to see about a good patch.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20 2015, 10:45:22 PM »
The last thing you want is the tire cupping with too low air pressure; the contact patch is going to be pretty narrow on those rims.

Here are some thoughts on softening tires: http://forums.hotrod.com/circle-track/70/8150281/dirt-racing/home-made-tire-softeners/
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21 2015, 12:10:59 AM »
There's a product called gumball that will soften the tires, but if the tires are to far gone, then it will cause the rubber to peal off. Oil will soften rubber but it will depend on how much and how long it's exposed.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21 2015, 04:04:12 PM »
Another question. I have single adjustable QA1's on the rear. Should I soften them 1 notch...as traction will likely be at a premium.

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21 2015, 11:17:54 PM »
How have they been stored? That's the biggest issue. If they have been laying on the permafrost then they will be dry.

I think the glue you throw on the track can be applied directly to the tires.

You might be able to find the recipe for pimp juice somewhere.
IhaveaV8

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22 2015, 09:49:14 AM »
How have they been stored? That's the biggest issue. If they have been laying on the permafrost then they will be dry.

You've been watching too much Street Outlawzzzzzzzz zzzz! (I love that show...)

Remember that this is chemistry and physics.  You have to make sure that the rubber and road are compatible, and the same thing goes for whatever traction compound you use.  Temperature plays a big roll in getting things to stick together too.  You might find that on a cool Autumn morning a street tire (in its desired temp range) is more effective than a slick.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22 2015, 07:09:15 PM »

Jeremy, Frans son works at Goodyear here in town..so I have an unlimited supply of tire bags. :)

Here's the game plan.

WD 40 the tires.
Lower the rear shock setting to 3.
10.5 pounds in the tires...adjust if necessary.
Set the shift lite for 5600
What's worked in the past is to bring the revs up to 1200...and as soon as the lady twitches her shoulder...get on it and pedal it till it hooks in 2nd...and label it.
Lower the low gear timing to default from where I have it.
Add 2 pounds of boost...and 5 percent high gear fuel.

Thanks for the help guys...always appreciated. :)

Offline larrym

• View Profile
Help Me With Slicks
« Reply #8 on: September 22 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
Good luck Brad let us know how u do.
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26 2015, 09:08:26 PM »
Good luck Brad let us know how u do.

Race 1. New 6.1 Challenger. Got out of it at the 1/8th and coasted for the win.
Race 2. 1987 GN. Hit my hand on the shifter leaving the line...and bumped the shifter into OD trying to shift it. Got my ass handed to me.
Race 3. Dan Kellers 87 GN. He stayed pretty close. I let off about 100 feet from the traps and went 11.4 for the win.
Race 4. Dan Keller again...hot lapped. His SLIC was heat soaked...and I rolled out of it way early for the win.
Race 5. Hellcat...well ...almost. He chickened out and went and grabbed his buddy Hellcat owner to pull in in front of him. Got stuck racing a kid with a fukn Neon with an IC hanging off the front and slicks on the front. Had a cup of coffee while I waited for him at the top of the track.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26 2015, 09:13:53 PM »
10 PSI worked perfectly for the slicks on the GN rims. Contact patch was all the way across and I was able to hold 'er to the boards on the 3rd, 4th and 5th runs. Spun horribly at 11 and 12 pounds...and the contact patch wasn't all the way across till I lowered it to 10.

Offline larrym

• View Profile
Help Me With Slicks
« Reply #11 on: September 26 2015, 10:42:41 PM »
Sounds like a fun time :)
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27 2015, 08:22:21 AM »
Sounds like a fun time :)

It was likely my last. There are very few quality vehicles racing there anymore. Track conditions are tough...hence why I started this thread. Mostly late model Challengers and Mustangs and kids in tuner cars. There were very few muscle cars there yesterday and only one nostalgia car. We have the benefit of PL. All I did yesterday was go back to the trailer and watch the TPS. On the 3rd run with the tires aired down to 10 PSI the TPS was maxed.

I don't think most realize how critical tire pressure is...and even 1 pound makes a world of difference. Having a top notch air gauge for slicks is imperative.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27 2015, 09:04:46 AM »
Glen just posted this pic...as him and the crew are out cleaning the grounds this morning. This is what I had to work with yesterday. Check out how coarse the asphalt is. With your guys help I was still able to bang off an 11.4.  :rock: Took some HP to make it up at the top of the track. :)

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27 2015, 02:04:24 PM »
I don't think most realize how critical tire pressure is...and even 1 pound makes a world of difference. Having a top notch air gauge for slicks is imperative.
Most don't realize how much a half pound can effect the car Larry. The really good gauges will do as little as .2 lb differences.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal