Author Topic: Normal Temperature of an ECM?  (Read 8604 times)

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
Normal Temperature of an ECM?
« on: September 01 2011, 02:45:24 PM »
Does anyone know what the proper operating temp of the factory ECM is? Mine feels rather hot to the touch and I am looking to see if this is unsual.

From what I have read online it is hit or miss among brands as to what is acceptable and what leads to failure.

I am strongly considering adding a 3" brushless DC computer fan to the case to pull cool air across the internals.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: Normal Temperature of an ECM?
« Reply #1 on: September 01 2011, 02:52:29 PM »
Why are you fondling your ECM?

Do you have any ECM mods?
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01 2011, 03:18:55 PM »
Why are you fondling your ECM?

Do you have any ECM mods?

I just like touching things and creating problems for myself.

The ECM is modded for Low-Z injector drivers and has a PowerLogger hung off of it; that and there is a Caspers PnP MAFT Pro harness sandwiched between the ECM and factory harness.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01 2011, 06:20:56 PM »
I would think that if the power supply wire to the ECM was getting warm as well tat it may be a flag that there's an issue with the ECM. It could just be an issue of you overhinking too. :D
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01 2011, 06:35:12 PM »
IIRC there are some multiwatt resistors inside if it's been modded - so it will get warm.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 01 2011, 08:56:27 PM »
guy emailed me the other day with a converter lock up problem and said his ecm was so hot after a cruise that he could not touch it...don't know if I ever touched mine after an extended drive, but, I know they get warm.  Cooling electronics seldom hurts...
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01 2011, 10:21:29 PM »
Semiconductors spec'd for automotive use are -40
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02 2011, 11:04:02 AM »
Stopped by the local computer store and picked one of these up in 120x120x25mm form:
http://www.evercool.com.tw/products/fan_al.htm

The 12V to 24V capacity makes it an easy sell in an automotive application. The aluminum body should help better act as a heat sink over a plastic/polymer unit. I chose to ignore the fans with temperature control as I don't care to figure out how to make it work (might just be internal), or what the switching points are; this will either be key-on/run power or on a toggle switch when out on long trips. More to follow.

I am also going to investigate a means to filtering the air pulled through the ECM, across the chip/PL opening and then out the case vs. pushing air into the case which is still a viable option.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 02 2011, 01:08:16 PM »
Pushing air into the case seems like a good idea to me
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline The Radius Kid

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02 2011, 10:51:24 PM »
Stopped by the local computer store and picked one of these up in 120x120x25mm form:
http://www.evercool.com.tw/products/fan_al.htm

The 12V to 24V capacity makes it an easy sell in an automotive application. The aluminum body should help better act as a heat sink over a plastic/polymer unit. I chose to ignore the fans with temperature control as I don't care to figure out how to make it work (might just be internal), or what the switching points are; this will either be key-on/run power or on a toggle switch when out on long trips. More to follow.

I am also going to investigate a means to filtering the air pulled through the ECM, across the chip/PL opening and then out the case vs. pushing air into the case which is still a viable option.

I thought about this same issue years ago Mike when they first introduced low impedence drivers for these computers.
The drivers are thermally grounded [heatsunk] to the case.
Maybe a slot with a screen,top and bottom to see what happens?

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02 2011, 11:13:05 PM »
You can get washable PC fan filters too. You could go hardcore and cut a hole in the ECM case, mount a fan with a filter on the top, the fan blowing into the ECM.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03 2011, 10:56:58 AM »
I've already marked and cut a 3" hole in the case, I have also marked for a 4.75" hole (the dia of the fan) and in the process of opening that up. I have a spare ECM lid (or two) in the event this doesn't work out.

I'll post pics when I am done.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
By "pics" I mean pic. I say this because by the time I was done putting it together following a million test fits I got fed up and elected to not take it all apart to post pics; plus it is +30*C and humid as fuck.

In all fairness it is just a 4.75" hole cut in the ECM lid with a fan screwed to it and a switched (key-on) 12V source, not rocket surgery by any means.  The fan does in fact blow into the case and out past the chip and PowerLogger; this is the only way it could be mounted with the supplied hardware. I will need to find a source for screens and filters. Also, the fan is grounded to the PL and switched in my ashtray switch plate.

The keen eye will have already noticed the ECM is installed in the kick panel backwards (don't feel bad for the kick panel it was pretty ugly to begin with). Which means that the PL is now installed backwards and this presented its own challenges which were dealt with using a variety of blades and drill bits; yes there is a bit of interference from the body. Granted when it was all said and done the ECM was better mounted to the body than ever before.

And please pardon my grubby hand prints on everything.
« Last Edit: September 03 2011, 05:59:48 PM by motorhead »
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03 2011, 07:27:53 PM »
I would just wonder about exposing the circuitry to dirt, water, pet hair etc.... compared to the elimination of heat. I just pulled a 99 Sebring ECM that was still warm after 30 minutes of running/testing. What's the inside temp of a car in the hot sun with the windows closed? Sitting at an airport for a couple of weeks?

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03 2011, 07:46:02 PM »
I would just wonder about exposing the circuitry to dirt, water, pet hair etc.... compared to the elimination of heat. I just pulled a 99 Sebring ECM that was still warm after 30 minutes of running/testing. What's the inside temp of a car in the hot sun with the windows closed? Sitting at an airport for a couple of weeks?

I hear you.

But, this goes beyond warm... it gets HOT - burn your hand hot. The inside of the ECM is actually coated in what looks like silicone so I am not too concerned about a little dust; using a PowerLogger exposes the internals to a point anyway. Using filters will probably make up all the difference and I will try and procure those on Tuesday.

Again this is all just an experiment.

Also remember the parts for these cars are becoming more scarce and you can't even buy the parts to make a modded (Low-Z) ECM anymore, with that in mind I am willing to do a little work to preserve what I have left.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal