Author Topic: My GN needs a cam. Recommendations, manufacturers?  (Read 24819 times)

Offline Spoolin'

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Re: My GN needs a cam. Recommendations, manufacturers?
« Reply #45 on: March 12 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
A lot has happened in the last 6 weeks since my last post. I have since quit my job and went to work for at the shop where my car is at. Not only is it a great change of pace, its also quite lucrative too. Having been a dealership employee most of my young life, the independent scene is so much easier.

I haven't gotten my engine back, but it is deemed to arrive late next week. The block was dismantled and cleaned. The cam journals were line bored, and thank goodness they were straight. I got a fresh set of bearings, new rings, and the wrist pin issue fixed. Turns out on removal of all the pistons, they were all tight at the pin. Told the machine shop to fix it, because as I said before, I don't want this to come apart anymore. As far as my valve issue, from what can be seen is it appears someone over-did the valve job last time and dressed the tips at the very end. I'm having all new seats, valves, and keepers installed while there apart.  Once I get the long block back, I can bolt my intake on and put it back in the car  :D

I do have a question for some of you Veterans - Is it easier to put the engine in with or without the intake on? I know getting the valve covers off can be a pain in the ass depending on which one you're removing... To me it seems easier to bolt all the accessories on while the engine is on the stand, then do the install. This is also the first one I've had to do, so what do I know?

As far as the detailing goes, I've since painted the firewall with a semi-flat black that blends quite well over the original. I also did some "spring cleaning on my intercooler and got all the black residue out of it. I then repainted it and painted the intercooler shroud with the semi-flat. Next up is to order a re-pop intercooler tag from TR unless I find a cooler decal to put there instead. Today I'm going in to prep and paint my drive pulleys, intercooler fan, driveshaft, and finish undercoating the lower control arms. The snow is melting fast here, and by this time next month I'll be on the road with it.  :psix;

Some other goodies I ordered was a new air filter. I went with an AEM dryflow filter as its oil free and came well recommended to me by my friend/boss. I also ordered up my TT chip from Eric last week, and got me a sweet ASC vanity plate for the front with a pair of tinted plate covers. They are illegal in WI, but I put a pair on Ms. Spoolin's car when she bought it 2 years ago and she's had no trouble... But then again her driving record isn't as colorful as mine, either  :rolleyes:

All this means is that I should finally register my plates to the car, so when I get stopped I only get a warning instead of tickets...

Offline Spoolin'

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12 2011, 09:37:15 AM »
Here's a couple of shots of my GN in its current sad state of affairs:

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
My GN needs a cam. Recommendations, manufacturers?
« Reply #47 on: March 12 2011, 10:52:37 AM »
Lookin good! Glad to hear the shop gig is working out, sometimes a change of pace can mike life that much better.

I would love o have a lift.  :cool;
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Wrecked Em

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hotairbuick.com
« Reply #48 on: March 12 2011, 08:37:54 PM »
Congrats on the new job...keep us posted on the Buick.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #49 on: March 13 2011, 10:58:12 AM »
Put the intake on
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Spoolin'

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17 2011, 07:40:56 PM »
Talked with the machine shop today, and I'm getting an engine tomorrow  :supz:  :supz:

Should be getting it in the car with the transmission this week, and hopefully light up the plugs by the end of the week. Of course, that all depends on how much work we have next week. Our turbo Eclipse project is done, and our '62 Fuelie Corvette is getting trailered back to its owner tomorrow. Unfortunately now I think I'm coming down with the flu, because I sure feel like shit right now. Perhaps an engine on the stand can cure that.

I do need to re-paint the valve covers. Apparently the guys at the machine shop didn't realize the parts washer would take the paint right off of them  :rolleyes;

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17 2011, 10:23:40 PM »
Awesome. TAKE PICS
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Spoolin'

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23 2011, 10:00:25 PM »
Oh Snap!!

Just before I painted the block. Going to get the accessories bolted up, intake on, and drop it in hopefully before the end of the week. From there, it will take about 15 minutes to put the tranny in it. If all goes well, I may be able to hit the key on it by the end of next week.

Oh, I have to install my cutout also :evil; Then comes the new chip install, hotwire kit installed, and see how well those 16" Continential's hook on the street  :supz:

Offline Spoolin'

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25 2011, 10:43:12 PM »
Got my intake, plenum, and exhaust manifolds painted and installed today, along with a few other things. Bought new motor mounts, knock sensor, waterpump, plugs, hoses, 160* t-stat, and a few other small misc. items.

Painted brackets and the dipstick tube and installed them. Ran out of time today, but it's literally ready to go in the car. Thinking I will bolt up the transmission and set it in all together.

Should be able to break the cam in next week, and maybe even take it for a drive  :psix;

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #54 on: March 26 2011, 12:02:27 AM »
if it runs half as good as it looks, you will have a winner!
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Spoolin'

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26 2011, 07:50:38 AM »
On a side note, I've really been messing with my neighbor/best friend over the whole build. He has a 00 Trans Am with a forged LS1 and a P1SC Procharger on it, putting down something in the neighborhood of 600hp. He's very competitive, and likes to be the top dog. I explained to him that I was just doing a stock rebuild with a bolt-on or two. Lately, he hasn't called me unless he wanted to know what was going on with my car. The last time I talked to him, he asked how it was coming, so I explained to him it was ready to get the accesories hung on it and set in. Jokingly, he asked me "Full stroker motor, right?" So I said "One way to find out. Bring your wrinkle walls.... And your wallet!" He got all defensive asking me if I really wanted to put money on it  :D  :D I've been playing along with the whole skit, and posting pic's on my Facebook that he will see. Overall, he's a pretty savvy guy when it comes to performance stuff, but he had a GN two years ago and he doesn't know all there is to know about the mighty 3.8. My buddy 1twisted6 and I have been commenting on the photo's and discussing GN1 heads, ported plenum and intake, and I even mouthed off something to the effect of 60 lb injectors and a different turbo, just to get the masses all worked up!!!

Around here, a lot of people do this "roll racing" going from 40-120. Personally, I think its stupid because they say it 'eliminates driver error'. From what I know, thats part of racing isn't it? Being able to drive your car? Then they will use the excuse about its not hard on your driveline to launch it, which sounds like a ricer excuse to me. The T/A mentioned above has a Moser rear end, subframe connectors, torque arm, etc. and will have no problem leaving the tree, but they insist on this roll racing crap because thats what they do in the big cities  :jerkit;

I say, if you want a roll, take your ass to the baker. If you want to race me, we do it at the track - off the tree or off the armdrops. I raced a buddy on the street last year, came into a stop sign hot, and he got loose with slicks and skinnys and kissed a lightpole pretty hard. A good life lesson learned.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26 2011, 09:29:45 AM »
I love seeing the progression, thanks for the pics and the stories.

And I agree - the launch is what separates good drivers, as evidenced by all the bracket racing and it's popularity.

I REALLY hope you smoke your neighbor.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26 2011, 09:30:18 AM »
Nice!!!
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26 2011, 09:37:11 AM »
Quote from: "Top Speed @ Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:30 am"
Nice!!!

Shut up and knock he 3" of dust of YOUR TR, slacker.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Spoolin'

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09 2011, 06:39:33 PM »
The engine and transmission are in!!!

All thats left to do is:

-hook up the exhaust
-get the engine accessories bolted on
-connect the wiring harness to the engine
-repair some vacuum lines

Then it will be time to break in the cam. I am curious to know what others are running for oil? Do you use a performance oil w/zinc in it? An SM oil w/ZDDP? A performance oil with zinc and ZDDP? I was reading a topic on the other board, and the answers were pretty one-sided over ZDDP -they came from Richard Clark and Dennis Kirban. Nothing against either guy, DK has helped me on more than one occasion when I've emailed him with a question. I've also bought some products from him (and paid crazy shipping costs). But its one of those things, you can ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers. I prefer the knowledge here (Steve Wood  :yawinkle: ) Is there such a thing as too much zinc in oil? I want to be safe after cam break-in, becuase this car will get moderate use.... And after what I've had to put in it, I'm going to want to step in it without worries  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal