Author Topic: Is a TT6.1 worth the extra money of the 5.7?  (Read 16734 times)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Is a TT6.1 worth the extra money of the 5.7?
« on: December 28 2016, 10:04:02 PM »
I need to get a chip bought for my 4.2L before the end of the year since thre's going to be a large price increase on Jan 1.

I already have the scanmaster3.0, power logger, PLX W/B, and a translator.

Should I just stick with the 5.7 or should I spend the extra cheeze for the W/B tracking?

'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
Re: Is a TT6.1 worth the extra money of the 5.7?
« Reply #1 on: December 28 2016, 11:21:14 PM »
With the increased accuracy of the wideband vs narrowband, I would say yes but don't let me influence what you spend your money on.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28 2016, 11:24:52 PM »
Earl, get the 6.1!  What isn't to like about wideband O2 correction?  Especially with a good wideband.  I think you would regret it after if you didn't.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28 2016, 11:36:47 PM »
I don't mind spending money as long as I get my money worth.   I'm new to TT chips.  Right now I have a 3.8 chip running a deep breathing 4.2 so it goes lean as hell right as I get in the gas a little but it seems to run OK around town.  I need to get one burned for my combo, it's just the 6.1 is 50% more.  If it's worth it AND the W/B tracking actually does what it says it'll do, I'm fine with the extra cheeze.

I just won't want to end up with something like the old translator plus that did more harm than good with the timing stuff.

I'd really like to go SD but I just can't justify spending that much on a car I really don't drive anymore.  Not to mention all the extra tuning and effort to get it running right.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29 2016, 11:37:09 AM »
If you desire plug and play (so to speak), yes.

If you desire not being a slave to the relative limitations of 80s technology (and waiting for a new chip in the mail over and over again), no.  Go with a stand alone EFI option.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29 2016, 02:18:35 PM »
Why would he be waiting for a new chip in the mail?  Eric has done an excellent job with his chips.  And if you have the wideband O2 correction and MAF, you have the best of both worlds and you can tune it as well.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29 2016, 03:33:41 PM »
Why would he be waiting for a new chip in the mail?  Eric has done an excellent job with his chips.  And if you have the wideband O2 correction and MAF, you have the best of both worlds and you can tune it as well.

Future updates.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29 2016, 05:13:58 PM »
This car is done being updated.  I just want it to be turn key instead of the 10+ year garage art it has been.

I spent over an hour trying to get a 6.1 on the way. Turns out I had to dust off IE so the sale could go through.  :\

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #8 on: December 30 2016, 10:05:13 AM »
the 6.1 tends to keep idiots from screwing up....of course, most of them end up running much richer than their combo requires because they take the A/f for a nine second car and use it on their 13 sec car but that has been going on forever.  That makes them even slower.

It does work pretty well with regard to maintaining the A/f to where it was set.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30 2016, 10:31:47 AM »
So, you are saying if I use the nine sec tune my car wont run nines?
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30 2016, 11:33:30 AM »

It will run nines, in your mind!

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30 2016, 11:43:41 AM »

It will run nines, in your mind!

Or in the 1/8th.

My personal hardship with "chips" is from having seen what else is out there - not that Eric and Bob aren't doing great things for you guys.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30 2016, 12:03:38 PM »
Stand alones are nice but there is more sense of accomplishment when you can run really good times on a basically stock location chip in the stock computer.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #13 on: December 30 2016, 06:59:41 PM »
Stand alones are nice but there is more sense of accomplishment when you can run really good times on a basically stock location chip in the stock computer.

Generally, it seems that an aftermarket system, in the hands of an experienced tuner, seem to be more likely to pick up hundredths instead of tenths, over a well tuned chipped car despite what vendors/tuners like to claim.

I have seen quite a few in the hands of home tuners that went slower.

It's really quite easy to understand.    A quick car tends to run over a 500-800 rpm bandwidth which, in reality, makes the fueling simple.  A few trial and error runs to see what it likes in that range and one is there.  Picking a synergistic combination of parts is far more important than the chip or system.  All the advertising claims that the stock computer is slow are correct.  It just does not make any difference in a drag racing scenario where all we have to contend with is 500-800 rpm.

Getting the car to launch reliably is harder than most of the tuning.  No doubt, the latest systems that provide boost ramping can help on a really fast car that wants to spin the tires can make it easier to dial in if one cannot handle it with suspension.

For the average guy that never avails himself of all that is included in with modern chips is never going to be successful with aftermarket unless he can afford a "tuner" to show up and help him.

Let's face it, most guys have a hard time with the instructions on chips and they never accomplish much with an aftermarket system.

Some guys love the intricacy of the aftermarket systems and love tweaking things and they are often not very fast but they love talking about what they can do...different strokes for different folks.  It's all about what gives us pleasure.

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30 2016, 07:56:50 PM »
^hence my need for a plain ole chip.  I'm smart enough to tune an aftermarket chip but I just don't give a fuck.    :)

I'm approximately 100% sure I'll never tune my GN to the Nth degree.  Close is good enough for me.

I have been thinking about making the slant 6 in my '72 Dodge van fuel injected though.  Can't decide between 80's shitbox FI or soldering up a megasquirt.

...but that's a different story.   :tongue

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal