Author Topic: US reportedly finds new secret software in VW diesels  (Read 4767 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
US reportedly finds new secret software in VW diesels
« on: August 08 2016, 10:44:08 PM »

That secret software in Volkswagen's 3.0-liter diesels can turn off the vehicles' emissions controls, Reuters reports, citing the German newspaper Bild am Sonntag. The emissions control system allegedly shuts off after 22 minutes, when most emissions tests take about 20.

this software does exist, it likely resides in all 3.0-liter diesels that Volkswagen sells in the US. This includes the Audi Q7, Volkswagen Touareg and Porsche Cayenne SUVs. Approximately 85,000 of these cars are roaming around the US, and they're already under scrutiny for some software that VW "forgot" to tell regulators about.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/oh-not-again-us-reportedly-found-new-secret-software-in-vw-diesels/
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: US reportedly finds new secret software in VW diesels
« Reply #1 on: August 09 2016, 09:35:38 AM »
So I might be able to get a good deal on one?
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09 2016, 09:45:19 AM »
Not a surprise at all.  I was actually wondering when the V6s were going to get caught.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/400586
« Reply #3 on: August 10 2016, 12:45:45 AM »
There arnt many legit things out there. It's too bad good people follow the shady people's lead.
All about the dolla dolla bills y'all.
I don't know many people that would take a pay cut to do the right thing.
The world would be a much better place, but noooooo.....
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

Offline aminga

• Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
  • Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10 2016, 05:57:08 PM »
Glad I bought the chevy diesel.
86 Regal T-type. One Owner. Twisted 6 Racing Built 109, FTSS Revolution X 206/210 Cam, T&D 1.65 Rockers, Diamond Forged Pistons, RJC Power Plate, TA6262DBB, PTE SLIC, Alkycontrol pump and Kit and ISAC Controller, Bailey TR6 Wastespark, TA Headers, ATR Downpipe, Racetronix Walbro pump and hot wire ki

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11 2016, 11:41:47 AM »

I must say when traveling behind diesel trucks, the Chevy seems to have the cleanest exhaust emissions, then Dodge but still has a funny smell.  I find the older Ford's have the most offense exhaust, newer ones are much better but I still rate them 3rd.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11 2016, 12:01:15 PM »

I must say when traveling behind diesel trucks, the Chevy seems to have the cleanest exhaust emissions, then Dodge but still has a funny smell.  I find the older Ford's have the most offense exhaust, newer ones are much better but I still rate them 3rd.

You have a strange fetish.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline larrym

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11 2016, 12:24:36 PM »
My 09 jetta TDI packed it in after 400,000 I was kind of disappointed want atleast 500,000 the only TDI  I could find to replace it was a 2013 they are not selling new ones. How dirty can they be? If being emission compliant cripples fuel economy is that any better? My combined fuel use is 4.8L/100km or 49 mpg to be honest that's whats important to me.
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11 2016, 01:09:16 PM »
My 09 jetta TDI packed it in after 400,000 I was kind of disappointed want atleast 500,000 the only TDI  I could find to replace it was a 2013 they are not selling new ones. How dirty can they be? If being emission compliant cripples fuel economy is that any better? My combined fuel use is 4.8L/100km or 49 mpg to be honest that's whats important to me.

I get your point, but this is about circumventing the law.  Hell, most every home that uses energy to heat/cool (or food prep) it is a larger contributor to pollution than your average modern car.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 11 2016, 01:09:50 PM »
You are always one of the more discerning types here, Larry!  I am behind you 110%!  :D

The federal government is far more dishonest than VW so I would tend to give them a gold star for selling us a better product.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
You are always one of the more discerning types here, Larry!  I am behind you 110%!  :D

The federal government is far more dishonest than VW so I would tend to give them a gold star for selling us a better product.

I've heard rumours that the urea injection systems may be releasing more carcinogenics in the atmosphere than properly combusted diesel exhaust alone.  I figure if the CAFE economy standards were upheld and the environment restrictions lifted, the target MPGs could he met.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline aminga

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11 2016, 06:36:52 PM »

My garage right now.

3 GM
3 White
3 Turbo's

And 2 Diesels (3 if you count the mower)
86 Regal T-type. One Owner. Twisted 6 Racing Built 109, FTSS Revolution X 206/210 Cam, T&D 1.65 Rockers, Diamond Forged Pistons, RJC Power Plate, TA6262DBB, PTE SLIC, Alkycontrol pump and Kit and ISAC Controller, Bailey TR6 Wastespark, TA Headers, ATR Downpipe, Racetronix Walbro pump and hot wire ki

Offline aminga

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11 2016, 06:39:48 PM »

I've heard rumours that the urea injection systems may be releasing more carcinogenics in the atmosphere than properly combusted diesel exhaust alone.  I figure if the CAFE economy standards were upheld and the environment restrictions lifted, the target MPGs could he met.

Not so much the Urea but the Diesel particulate filters.  The DPF capture the large  particles but aren't 100%.  The stuff that escapes them are smaller and can be inhaled more deeply in the lungs.

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11 2016, 06:39:48 PM »

I've got friends that love their Jetta.  Reminds me of a time I'm behind a Jetta coughing my lungs out and they have a ribbon on it that says, "Support Breast Cancer".  Almost felt like saying, I guess you don't believe in supporting lung cancer?"  It was a woman, and I figure she hadn't changed her air filter in a long time!

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12 2016, 12:58:52 PM »
Aminga, love your garage!  I really like the white T's especially with the black out package.  Is the Cruze a diesel?  Only thing about owning a white vehicle where I live is I will never see it in a snow bank. :icon_lol:

I did have an old Toyota diesel, great little truck except for the ride.  I've been eyeing up the new Diesel Canyon's but the price is almost that of a full size.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal