Author Topic: Barn motor ideas...  (Read 41524 times)

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Barn motor ideas...
« Reply #105 on: January 03 2016, 07:56:41 PM »
Damm that engine turned into a $$$$ pit fast :icon_smile: . Amazing how they grow.. Good Luck with it .. What are ya running a chip or a Fast system ?? Remember DON'T DETONATE it and it will live .

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #106 on: January 03 2016, 08:05:30 PM »
Dan, I am glad to see you are still with us....Happy New year!
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 03 2016, 10:00:32 PM »
Stage and TA blocks bring their own problems...Sta ge One vs Stage Two, even fire, odd fire, uncommon oiling systems, parts availability, cost, etc.  Unquestionably, they are stronger and were built for abuse and high rpm.  The additional head bolts are really nice.

My gut feeling is that the 3.8 block is a safer choice than the 4.1 once one is into the tens.  This is based upon experience and not science.  I think the 3.8 will make the same hp because it will accommodate a bit more boost time and again without splitting.

Spending money on forged cranks, good rods, and lightweight pistons will allow one to approach 6000 rpm a lot of times without tossing something.  Lightweight pistons usually have their own problems arising from the need to use more cylinderwall clearance due to the piston alloy growth with heat.  This rounds off the rings fairly quickly so it may be better to use a heavier, low growth piston for a driver.  Also makes it more important to keep it under six thousand, imo.

I tend to think girdles are not worth the effort on a well built engine.  I suspect many will disagree with me on this.

It's my opinion that high quality machine work and a really good fuel system are the two most important things in achieving long life in a strong street engine.  Steel caps are rally a good investment IF the machine shop understands they don't just bolt on, followed by an align bore/hone.

18 degs of timing will make almost as much power as 24 degs of timing but will make an engine more linear in its approach to the detonation line.

Building an engine with nine second rotating parts will make one that is much more fun to drive in the tens for a much longer time.  As pointed out above, there are not that many cars that will run 10.5 and even fewer that will do it every week end.

I don't plan on hitting 6k on the tach unless the throttle sticks.  Going to stick with the stock shift points until testing reveals something different.  This cam is said to have a monster mid range.  Time and testing will tell. 

I haven't researched the stage blocks very much. Always considered them elusive if not unobtainable and the TA block was just out of the price range when this project started. More drooling about the aluminum block than researching. 

Glad to hear we have the same thoughts about over building the bottom end.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 03 2016, 10:06:04 PM »
Rich, I have yet to step up the suspension on the limited. I'm going to get to it, just going to take some time. I need to do an axle and diff swap as well. 

I believe I have the fuel system in check. -8 feed and -6 return. Right now there is dw300 in the tank. 
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 03 2016, 10:23:10 PM »
Damm that engine turned into a $$$$ pit fast :icon_smile: . Amazing how they grow.. Good Luck with it .. What are ya running a chip or a Fast system ?? Remember DON'T DETONATE it and it will live .

Definately not as easy on the pocket book as I was hoping for.  I did purchase a fair amount of items second hand, so not as much as one would think.  Those TA heads are brand new second hand.  Big money was spent on the rotating assembly.

Going to run a chip from Eric, that's another item I need to get to ordering.   I don't think I want to deal with a modded ECM so no low z injectors.  I'm familiar with powerlogger so going to throw a wide band into the mix to help with tuning and my education of tuning these things.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Barn motor ideas...
« Reply #110 on: January 03 2016, 10:28:39 PM »
Jason, the mid range is good on that cam, but, I think you will find with your combination that it will feel like you down shifted at 5000 rpm and 6000 will there in a split second. I think shifting at 5800 will drop the rpm to about 5000 on the next gear. Should be no problem with your components. It will not have slowed down at 5800 but it will pump the lifters about 6200 or so. Being that it will be up on the cam at 5000, there will be little loss shifting at 5800.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 04 2016, 08:47:57 PM »

Ya still poke around the Buick sites.  Should be racing them next year.  Branching off on other cars though.  Figure if I want to play around now is the time to do it  :rock: Happy New Year to everyone   :cheers:

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 04 2016, 10:32:36 PM »

Ya still poke around the Buick sites.  Should be racing them next year.  Branching off on other cars though.  Figure if I want to play around now is the time to do it  :rock: Happy New Year to everyone   :cheers:

Im glad you stop by. Im thinking your buick powered rx7 fits right in. Do you have other irons in the fire?
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 17 2016, 10:42:25 PM »
Spoke with Eric this evening. Gave him all the technical info and spoke about goals of the setup.  Went over some numbers and talked about his ability of flow matching a set of injectors just a tad bigger than 80's. I'd really like to get some 83's.  But with not really pushing the envelope of the build, 80's should suffice.  Sorry Mike. I'm staying with the stock un modded ECM. Classic 5.7 for 93/alky and another chipped for 110.   Should be here in a week or so.  Still waiting on the tranny....
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 18 2016, 08:14:39 PM »
"
;

Im glad you stop by. Im thinking your buick powered rx7 fits right in. Do you have other irons in the fire?

Mazda is a blast !! Goin in for a halo an some other safety stuff so we can go racing with it.  Have a new Shelby CSX 427 Cobra. All alum BB Ford. Looking for a 65 Griffith 200 or 400. It's basically a TVR with a small block Ford. Only weighs in @ 18/1900#s :player: Keeping the Mazda but buying old Ford performance cars like I had before Buicks. Like a second childhood  :rock:

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 18 2016, 08:16:50 PM »
Spoke with Eric this evening. Gave him all the technical info and spoke about goals of the setup.  Went over some numbers and talked about his ability of flow matching a set of injectors just a tad bigger than 80's. I'd really like to get some 83's.  But with not really pushing the envelope of the build, 80's should suffice.  Sorry Mike. I'm staying with the stock un modded ECM. Classic 5.7 for 93/alky and another chipped for 110.   

I think once ya get the alky dialed in ya won't need the 110 chip.  :cheers:

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 19 2016, 06:11:26 PM »
Jason, the mid range is good on that cam, but, I think you will find with your combination that it will feel like you down shifted at 5000 rpm and 6000 will there in a split second. I think shifting at 5800 will drop the rpm to about 5000 on the next gear. Should be no problem with your components. It will not have slowed down at 5800 but it will pump the lifters about 6200 or so. Being that it will be up on the cam at 5000, there will be little loss shifting at 5800.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Do we have any data on the torque convertor with this engine? RPM drop at the shift points? What it flashes to off the line? RPM at the traps? Slip percentage?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19 2016, 08:15:30 PM »
No data yet Brad. I went with a 3k stall.  The fella who is doing my tranny is now doing his own TC's.

Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 18 2016, 08:09:37 PM »
Parts are piling up...
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Barn motor ideas...
« Reply #119 on: February 18 2016, 08:50:54 PM »
Sweeeeet
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal