Author Topic: Barn motor ideas...  (Read 40516 times)

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
Barn motor ideas...
« on: February 23 2015, 09:02:33 PM »
I have this short block sitting in the barn.  Stock bottom end with studs on the caps.  Mains have been turned .010 and rods have been turned .010.  TRW .030 over forged pistons attached to polished 2 dot stock rods with moly rings. Stock deck height and piston to deck measurement is .039. 

My quandary is this...  I have a set of untouched stock 8445 heads but I have yet to send them out for machining and I also have a set of aluminum TA heads that are ready to install. The TA heads have been set up for a roller cam and I would have to set up the irons for whatever cam is decided upon. My concern is that I won't be able to get enough static compression to really benefit from the aluminum heads without further machining the deck to get a lower deck to piston measurement.  The thinnest head gasket I have been able to find is the cometic at .020.  When calculating the static compression using the TA heads, the highest compression ratio I can come up with is 8.4 to 1. Also wanted to mention that I have a set of 1.65 roller rockers that I can use on either set of heads and studs for both sets

My goals for this engine is for it to be a daily driver,when the weather is nice, but also be able to throw the alky to it and run a high 10 in the quarter.

Appreciate y'all's thoughts on whether or not to go aluminum or get the irons ready for install. Also, thoughts on a cam.  Been eyeing that 210/215 roller from full throttle but I'm not against sticking with a flat tappet
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Barn motor ideas...
« Reply #1 on: February 24 2015, 02:24:22 PM »
Things always change Jason. Things like they are, if you want the cam you can have it for what I've got in it. Then all you need to do is get hold of Earl for a better set of pistons with valve reliefs so the valves will clear. That would let you use the TA heads and get the most out of the engine. :D Not a lot of changes and not much money involved to get where you want to go. :cheers:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24 2015, 04:36:09 PM »
What turbo and convertor are you planning to use...and how much boost?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25 2015, 10:49:28 AM »
Thanks Charlie, I'll give that some consideration. 

I am looking at having Brian build the 6262 with an .85 exhaust housing and with Jake overhauling the barn tranny.  I was really pleased with his work on the last transmission he did for me.  I will also ask him for the same 3000 stall converter that I got from him as well.  Looking to push 20-25 pounds of boost with alky.
If using the irons, how would you set them up?
« Last Edit: February 26 2015, 12:27:43 PM by good2win22 »
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25 2015, 04:42:37 PM »
You're gonna be in tough trying to crack the 10's...or 7.0 in the 1/8th with unported irons. I run 135 lb springs with this flat tappet...but I don't recommend it. I'd go the roller route...and sleep well at nite. I run as much stock junk as possible...jus t to piss guys off with the high dollar engines and 'cool guy' stuff.  :)

Think you mentioned your track is now 1/8th mile...now here's the rub. You can't lock that convertor in the 1/8th...and a LU convertor unlocked...is incredibly inefficient. You can see where I'm going with this. I run a NL...for a reason.

If you go to a 1/4 mile track...can that convertor withstand being locked at WOT? The only two I'm aware of is the multi disc Vig...and the 9/11.

Take some time and have a read...especia lly Dustys explanation on page 3.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/fastest-times-with-lockup-tc.423322/

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25 2015, 08:08:38 PM »
I'll have to ask Jake about the quality of his converters.  As I recall, it was locking around the 100mph mark last time I ran the 1/4 but I was hitting the traps around 108ish.  I never did get to run another 1/4 with the 981 springs before selling the white T.

Porting the iron heads... I assume bowl work, touching up the short radius side and gasket matching? I can do that but always worry about not taking out enough and then taking out too much and making them flow equal. 

Charlie give me a shout when you can.  I need to start a budget and you know I would like to have that cam!
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25 2015, 10:14:13 PM »
Need the green and I'll see what I paid for it Jason. :D
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25 2015, 11:04:28 PM »
That's a good read.  Thanks Brad!
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26 2015, 02:35:30 AM »
Jason, I have no clue about what to do about bowl work, porting etc...that's why I hand my heads to Joebuick. :) There are head porters...and there are head porters...and Joe's the latter. :) Those pics I put up last fall show a stock doghouse...it's not stock. Joe backfilled/contoured/polished it to match the Champion stock appearing intake...and it's also ported to match Steve Monroes 62mm TB. I also run a Champion 3/4 inch spacer...again ...for a reason. :) I have this bad habit of listening to the very best. :)
« Last Edit: February 26 2015, 02:40:28 AM by Scoobum »

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26 2015, 02:40:26 AM »
The big question is if you want someone to do it or if you want to learn how. Either way I can hep here Jason. I don't remember how many heads I've done over the years but if you want to do the cast or aluminum ones I can either show you how or do the work myself. Taught Guess on the big board and you can ask him how and what I do. :cheers:

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26 2015, 02:50:12 AM »
I have a set of TA aluminum heads here...with further porting done by Nick Micale. I'm gonna bolt them to this .030 over engine/rotating assembly I have. Static compression... no idea. But I know gobs of boost will make HP. :)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 26 2015, 11:05:58 AM »
You're gonna be in tough trying to crack the 10's...or 7.0 in the 1/8th with unported irons. I run 135 lb springs with this flat tappet...but I don't recommend it. I'd go the roller route...and sleep well at nite. I run as much stock junk as possible...jus t to piss guys off with the high dollar engines and 'cool guy' stuff.  :)

Think you mentioned your track is now 1/8th mile...now here's the rub. You can't lock that convertor in the 1/8th...and a LU convertor unlocked...is incredibly inefficient. You can see where I'm going with this. I run a NL...for a reason.

If you go to a 1/4 mile track...can that convertor withstand being locked at WOT? The only two I'm aware of is the multi disc Vig...and the 9/11.

Take some time and have a read...especia lly Dustys explanation on page 3.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/fastest-times-with-lockup-tc.423322/

Interesting thread...nice to see the nuthuggers over there are still accusing everyone else to be a nuthugger lol
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline larrym

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26 2015, 02:33:07 PM »
What do you run for a converter Steve Nuthugger or nonnuthuggert  :P
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26 2015, 03:34:16 PM »
What do you run for a converter Steve Nuthugger or nonnuthuggert  :P
Nice! :headz:
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 26 2015, 04:31:29 PM »
vigilante in one car...restalle d converter in the other

broke a 9/11 and put the vig back in after trying the 9/11
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal