Author Topic: Turbo Tech  (Read 58854 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Turbo Tech
« on: July 05 2018, 05:49:06 PM »
Talking to Brad about turbos and my opinions about on certain turbos led me to look for a write up someone had doen in the past about the problems with some PTE units.  I recalled that the guy had torn down a PTE bb unit and noted that the bearings were small compared to other manufacturers such as Garrett.  I could not find the write up which is a shame because it was very detailed.

In the meantime, Brad sent me a link to a current thread on the other board.  It was started by a guy selling WORK turbos and some others and I noted he mentioned the bearing problems.  I also remember that PTE used steel thrust bearings on some units instead of brass like the other companies and this lead to failure as well prematurely.

Anyway, I don't read the other board, but, I thought this is an interesting thread

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/article-on-why-billet-turbos-make-so-much-power-and-the-different-types-of-billet-wheels.458778/

Here is the actual article the guy is writing      https://www.boostedrps.com/single-post/2018/06/20/Turbocharger-Cast-and-Billet-Compressor-Wheels--Not-all-Billet-Wheels-are-Made-EqualDont-Overpay-Or-Be-Fooled-Into-Buying-The-WRONG-Turbo   
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Tech
« Reply #1 on: July 05 2018, 05:56:18 PM »
So how much of the turbo is made by WORK?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05 2018, 06:08:07 PM »
I texted Tyler...he's on his way. You got questions...fi re away.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05 2018, 06:47:27 PM »
Talking to Brad about turbos and my opinions about on certain turbos led me to look for a write up someone had doen in the past about the problems with some PTE units.  I recalled that the guy had torn down a PTE bb unit and noted that the bearings were small compared to other manufacturers such as Garrett.  I could not find the write up which is a shame because it was very detailed.

In the meantime, Brad sent me a link to a current thread on the other board.  It was started by a guy selling WORK turbos and some others and I noted he mentioned the bearing problems.  I also remember that PTE used steel thrust bearings on some units instead of brass like the other companies and this lead to failure as well prematurely.

Anyway, I don't read the other board, but, I thought this is an interesting thread

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/article-on-why-billet-turbos-make-so-much-power-and-the-different-types-of-billet-wheels.458778/

Here is the actual article the guy is writing      https://www.boostedrps.com/single-post/2018/06/20/Turbocharger-Cast-and-Billet-Compressor-Wheels--Not-all-Billet-Wheels-are-Made-EqualDont-Overpay-Or-Be-Fooled-Into-Buying-The-WRONG-Turbo

Hey There!

That would be me, Tyler, who wrote that article! :D

I hope you enjoyed reading it! The whole purpose for writing it was to try to explain and simplify the different turbocharger wheel technologies in a way that someone who may not be familiar with this stuff, can understand.

Here is the link to the Turbo Lab of America video where they discuss the PTE vs Garrett ball bearing cartridge, and how the Garrett unit not only spools 500rpm quicker than the PTE, but it is also more durable as well.  http://turbolabofamerica.com/category/precision-turbo-upgrade/precision-6262-turbo-upgrade/precision-6262-gt35r-hybrid/

For what it is worth, the WORK turbos use center cartridges that are similar to the Garrett ones, so you can expect the same quality and durability out of the WORK DBB units as you would the Garrett DBB units.

Again, I really appreciate the compliments about my article.

Do you have any other questions regarding the article, or WORK, Garrett, or Borg Warner turbos?

So how much of the turbo is made by WORK?

I am assuming you are referring to the G4 turbos?

The Compressor and Turbine housings are a WORK design. They are both modified in-house at WORK. ALL the compressor wheels are 100% WORK-designed. SOME of the turbine wheels (not all) are WORK-designed, the others are derivatives of Garrett GTX and GTW wheels.

The center sections are 100% made in the USA, and assembled by WORK. I think it would be a bit much to ask for a company to make their own center sections as well. I believe only Turbonetics makes every part of their turbo in-house.

I texted Tyler...he's on his way. You got questions...fi re away.

Yes Sir! I'm here to answer any questions you guys may have!
« Last Edit: July 05 2018, 06:57:48 PM by BoostedRPS »

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05 2018, 06:52:12 PM »
Tyler...where are you with the IC's? Just the cores show on your site. Can we expect you to be selling them as drop in units for the TR's? If so...when?

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05 2018, 06:57:11 PM »
Tyler...where are you with the IC's? Just the cores show on your site. Can we expect you to be selling them as drop in units for the TR's? If so...when?

Hey Brad!

The Treadstone cores are taking longer than expected.

As far as the Bell cores... Duttweiler is building my engine in September. Once my engine is built, we'll be dropping the engine in a car, and shortly after that we will begin the fabrication for the two Bell cores, starting with the smaller 3.5" thick, "1,100hp" rated core. I say 1,100 in quotations, because these cores are way underrated.

So to answer your question, after my engine is built and installed in the car, I would expect fabrication for the Bell cores to start within a month or two.

It all depends on how soon my engine gets built.

BTW Brad pointed out I forgot the link to the Turbo Lab page. Here is the link:  http://turbolabofamerica.com/category/precision-turbo-upgrade/precision-6262-turbo-upgrade/precision-6262-gt35r-hybrid/

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05 2018, 07:36:31 PM »
Thanks for coming over, Tyler.  It's good to see some fresh blood and fresh ideas in the market :)
Steve Wood

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05 2018, 07:59:12 PM »
Thanks for coming over, Tyler.  It's good to see some fresh blood and fresh ideas in the market :)

Thank you Steve!

We (RPS) have actually already developed a few products that I believe no one else currently (or has ever, in some instances) offered for the Buicks, but I don't really advertise them because every time I do, people always give us shit for it. They figure that since I am young (31yrs old, but I have owned TR's since I was 17) I must not know anything, and dismiss what we created immediately. Not taking into account who helped us develop these parts how we arrived at the designs/final product.

That being said, with the help of Tom Molnar from Molnar Technologies, we have developed the first-ever billet 4340 steel wide journal, off center, h-beam connecting rods for the Buicks. These rods were shown to Kenny Duttweiler in-person just a few weeks ago by myself, and when I told Kenny that I'd be using them in an engine trying to make 1,500-1,600hp he told me that I should have no issues with these rods taking that power, and that he really liked the design.

Best part? Is that these rods cost under $950! Bad Part? I only have ONE set left :/

We also have the only liquid to air intercooler setup for a TR currently, I believe. It is a stock location setup that can support over 1,000hp. Comes with a lot of stuff you could piece together yourself, except the mounts and the piping, but we sell it all for about what you'd pay if you bought everything individually, except our kit comes complete with everything you need.

We have the only production intercooler that uses air diffusers in the end tanks to help increase the efficiency and keep a low pressure drop across the intercooler core.

Lastly, I believe we are the only company that offers billet crankshafts that come in ANY stroke you want, ANY journal size (narrow or wide) you want, micro-polished, and knife-edged standard, and all of that cost is included in the pricing...Whic h currently we have 1 (that I know for SURE) crankshaft left that we're selling for $3,200 shipped.

Anyway, we're just laying low right now until we have more stuff tested. Then we'll be bringing it more into the public's eye.

I really appreciate you letting me post and answer questions on your forum! I hope I can offer some good insight into what is going on in the Buick turbo world today!

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05 2018, 08:33:04 PM »
I'm 2 1/2 times as old as you, Tyler.  :D I'm still interested in fresh ideas.  I have learned how every thing works about 4 times and just about as soon as I have it down, it all changes again.  That's how the world works.  Technology evolves faster and faster as our tools and knowledge base improve and grow.

Buicks are a small pond and change is not always accepted  It's like a small town in that a small number of people tend to run everything and growth is stifled until suddenly there is a quantum change causing a management change.

31 might seem young but new mousetraps invariably come from the young so I would not waste time on that issue.  Performance is always noticed and there is always an entourage waiting for the new bus to come along.

Don't be afraid to roil the waters.  Progress involves change and that incurs a certain amount of risk but performance is always noticed and applauded...us ually after a few rounds of boos.

You write well.  I enjoyed learning something :)
Steve Wood

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05 2018, 11:12:57 PM »
Thanks for coming over Tyler! I've seen the shit storm that you took on the intercooler. Remember this, before there is progress, there will be struggle.

Also, big thanks to the fellas for finding the articles on the ball bearing units. I knew I read something somewhere. I may be in the market for something bigger in the future and precision doesn't offer a journal bearing cartridge for what I'm looking for.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05 2018, 11:42:44 PM »
Thanks for coming over Tyler! I've seen the shit storm that you took on the intercooler. Remember this, before there is progress, there will be struggle.

Also, big thanks to the fellas for finding the articles on the ball bearing units. I knew I read something somewhere. I may be in the market for something bigger in the future and precision doesn't offer a journal bearing cartridge for what I'm looking for.

It still shocks me when I hear someone tell me about some time I got a bunch of shit from someone for a part I'm working on, or some point I was trying to make...just kinda reinforces the notion of how small the Buick community is, I guess.

I have to ask...what were your thoughts when you saw the shitstorm I got when I posted my intercoolers? Sorry if it is a weird question, I got my degree in psychology from UCSB, so I find things like that fascinating.

I had someone tell me the other day that they got a screenshot of a post I made on Turbobuick.com in a Borg Warner thread, and Nick Micale got all on my ass because someone posted asking if there are 3-bolt Borg Warner turbos coming soon, and I told them that WORK already has them. Well Nick took it as I'm trying to poach or whatever, when I really didn't mean for it to come off like that, and what sucked even more was that I couldn't edit my post to change it once I saw his response....my buddy told me he got a message from a friend showing a screenshot of my post and Nick's response and he told him something along the lines of "Look at Nick starting shit" or like "Look at Tyler getting shit". It makes me wonder just how many instances like that there are, regarding stuff I have posted, that people gossip about. I know I have caused a lot of waves since I started RPS, and I have heard rumors spread about me even as far as I lied about being robbed so that I could commit insurance fraud, because I owed money to companies for parts I already received!! I couldn't believe it!! These rumors have to start somewhere, and I have a pretty good idea where that is, but what sucks the most is that people form an opinion of me without ever giving my company (Or Reggie or Kendall who work with me) a chance, and see just how different we are than everyone else...

Sorry for the rant. It is something that has been erking me for a while, and your response seemed to trigger that. If you wouldn't mind sharing what your thoughts were when all that intercooler stuff went down, it may actually help me in how I deal with things in the future. I am constantly and continuously trying to make improvements to myself to handle situations like that in a better way.

I appreciate any input you may have.

Thank you,
Tyler

PS- I hope you give RPS a chance when it comes to any new turbo you are looking for! Please know that we have more than just the G4 line when it comes to our WORK turbos (besides the Garrett and Borg Warner units, of course) and no one uses as high-quality of parts as Reed does!

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06 2018, 07:37:01 AM »
NOBODY is up to Nick.s standard so I would not worry about that.

Turbo Buicks and psychology sure seems like a contradiction to me.

Butting heads with the competition is expected in a free market society all we can do is put it behind us and move on.

Just my thoughts for the day.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06 2018, 07:37:06 AM »
Tyler...you're young...articu late...educate d...tech savvy...and honest. You're offering the highest quality products with the knowledge and tech to back it all up. The bottom line is...you're cutting into their profit margins...and they aren't liking it. One of them even has in his sig, I was here first. You guys just keep doing what you're doing...and ignore the BS.

P.S. Get on that IC as quick as you can...and get it to market. Give us a writeup on the vertical flow vs horizontal. Remember to dumb things down so everyone can understand it.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06 2018, 08:17:29 AM »
When you are done fixing the turbos and intercoolers - please fix the camshafts used in these cars.  I don't think there has been a fresh grind using modern lobes and valvetrain data in what... 15-20 years?

PS. It is time to march off the old guard of vendors.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06 2018, 08:39:46 AM »
If you are going to be upset with every Tom, Dick, and Coattail Rider that lives on the Net, then you will have a miserable life.  Suck it up!  If a man is measured by the quality of his enemies, you have not even scratched the surface yet.

If such people were kissing your butt and praising you, I would have serious doubts about you LOL
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal