Author Topic: TA timing cover on sale 'till 16'th  (Read 12850 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
TA timing cover on sale 'till 16'th
« on: December 13 2011, 01:58:46 PM »
see front page , call for discount
http://taperformance.com/
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline tb3

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: TA timing cover on sale 'till 16'th
« Reply #1 on: December 13 2011, 11:13:14 PM »
I wonder where highway stars gets theirs?
are they nos? 

http://www.nos4gn.com/servlet/the-586/25522648-engine-timing-chain/Detail
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13 2011, 11:20:21 PM »
It's almost like TA knew I was going to make a run of timing covers.....
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline turbo nasty

• PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14 2011, 03:43:50 PM »
The TA piece is the one to get since their final machining is done by them to much tighter tolerances.

I recentlyand setup a Brand new GM cover from Nos 4 GM.....and brand new out of the box the pump cavity was outside the spec.

87 GN New Zimmerman Powerplant in the works!!!GT3255E, Alky, ESP FMIC, GEN2 w/LS1, Ext G, HR Bar, UMI, Bertram/White/EA Stg2 Trans, yadda yadda

Offline turbo nasty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14 2011, 03:45:06 PM »
Forgot to mention the cover you can get from Auto Zone I think its Dorman the oil pump drive shaft wouldnt go through the hole...Fail
87 GN New Zimmerman Powerplant in the works!!!GT3255E, Alky, ESP FMIC, GEN2 w/LS1, Ext G, HR Bar, UMI, Bertram/White/EA Stg2 Trans, yadda yadda

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Larrym What did you buy???
« Reply #5 on: December 14 2011, 09:46:06 PM »
So tell us Larry, local crap, TA or Orig GM??

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14 2011, 09:56:18 PM »
Looks like Santa arrived early: 

Ordered mine yesterday..... but went for the TA1530A, it's only a couple of bucks more and has got the front seal retention screws to prevent front seal blow out.    :023:

Since the front cover will be off....also ordered their steel billet timing chain set with stock style chain & tensioner.

While I'm in there and have it all apart, would be a good time to  put on the new AC Delco Water Pump I've had sitting on the shelf.

New Valve Springs and should be good to go in the spring!   :icon_keel:

Offline larrym

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15 2011, 01:05:54 AM »
So tell us Larry, local crap, TA or Orig GM??

I haven't bought any yet....... Richie had an old one I just finished pulling it apart but I think it is too worn gear pocket is galled up and the shaft bore has some play. Christmas and 4 kids has me maxed out on the credit card LOL so it might have to wait till the new year. I will go with the TA hope I can catch the sale price would really like the fully assembled peice.
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15 2011, 04:23:55 AM »
I've heard of fitment issues with the parts stores covers also.

as far as the ta covers, the (possible) advanatages I can think of off the top my head would be:
the front mounted seal
fits 14 or 20 bolt pan/blocks
has the longer oil pump gear cavity.

friend of mine local bought one for his 9 sec car and no issues, but did have alot of casting flash to clean up.   I just did alot of casting clean-up for another buddy of mine recently, but his engine isn't done yet.

earl brown,  I'm in no hurry, but I'd like to buy one of your covers if you do another run of them

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 15 2011, 09:38:34 AM »
Earl Brown's all the way...nothing to clean up after-hand massaged for ultimate flow, no need for hv pump gears that ultimately wear out the front cam bearing....mor e flow without resorting to more strain.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15 2011, 11:28:10 AM »
What about the guys with the really fast builds for mostly the drag strip that have the bigger cams and such?
would the hi volume gears benefit them?

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15 2011, 01:49:06 PM »
.....but went for the TA1530A, it's only a couple of bucks more and has got the front seal retention screws to prevent front seal blow out.    :023:

Well, $50 difference this week...

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #12 on: December 15 2011, 02:02:11 PM »
What about the guys with the really fast builds for mostly the drag strip that have the bigger cams and such?

You only need a high volume pump if your system will not maintain sufficient oil pressure for your needs.  If the oil pressure is there, then the volume is enough.

There might be an engine built so loosely, that the pump's output cannot maintain the desired pressure.  That would be an engine destined to be rebuilt frequently like an all out, very high rpm race engine.... probably built by an old timer that used to build chebbies?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Earl Brown's all the way...nothing to clean up after-hand massaged for ultimate flow, no need for hv pump gears that ultimately wear out the front cam bearing....mor e flow without resorting to more strain.

I have done 5 used GM covers (I have a NOS to do this winter) & they are all 25 hot idle with 10-40 & hit 50+ with any RPM using Earl's tricks. Thanks Earl!!!
The used covers cost me under $100 each shipped & even with some specs slightly out (end play) I still haven't had any issues nor have the 2 guys that have used them. The one thing they all needed was the pump cover machined flat because for some reason they were all High in the middle where the gears wear? At first look you would think they would be low in that area but all were high????
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16 2011, 02:21:35 AM »

You only need a high volume pump if your system will not maintain sufficient oil pressure for your needs.  If the oil pressure is there, then the volume is enough.

There might be an engine built so loosely, that the pump's output cannot maintain the desired pressure.  That would be an engine destined to be rebuilt frequently like an all out, very high rpm race engine.... probably built by an old timer that used to build chebbies?

now I know, thanks steve!   :icon_super:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal