Author Topic: Torque Plates  (Read 7951 times)

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Torque Plates
« Reply #15 on: March 02 2019, 02:48:54 PM »
Nice cars!  There was an old drag racer that has a beautiful 70 GTX with a 514 with 13:1, indy heads, davinci carb.  Body wise it is a show car.  I took him for a spin in my car and he took me for a spin in his GTX, wow I couldn't believe the crazy torque and pull that car had.  He used to have a believe it was a Cuda Hemi race car, definitely a hemi car and he actually sold it to Ed Belfour(Eddie the Eagle).

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02 2019, 04:09:00 PM »
Scoob, those are show quality, huh? I am curious, what rear suspension system is in use on those?
I went to your YouTube channel. You take performance seriously.

Weather has me indoors, so-
This young man and I, brainstormed this car almost 2 years before he bought this car. The only car I know of, completely built by the owner. The most consistent bracket car I have ever heard of. Carburated on E-85. It took him 10 years to build it. It was raced the last 4 yrs of that. Unfortunately it took probably less than 10 seconds to destroy it. It went 1.29/6.19 eighth.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02 2019, 05:49:09 PM »
Show quality, I dunno...but they're nice.

Dan Kellers Roadrunner. He bought that out of Florida...and whoever built it...knew what they were doing. It was turn key...and the suspension was all set up in it. Bring the revs up...jump on it...and it cuts 1.4's all day long. You can see him run a 10.5 at 131 on one of the vids...and does it all day long.

Kevins RT Coronet. To my knowledge Kevin built that car from ground up. Kevin's a Mopar guy through and through...and then some. Kevin kinda gravitated towards me cuz I was the only other person there racing a turbo charged setup. I'd let him know to fatten it up between rounds on a temp/humidity change. He's real quick at making jetting changes.

I'll text Dan Keller and ask him the rear suspension setup. He's told me...but race gas fumes have melted what's left of my brain.

That's a real nice car you posted. Sorry it was wrecked.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02 2019, 05:54:54 PM »
Scoob, those are show quality, huh?
You're probably thinking of what I posted about the guy with a show quality GTX.  I ran into an old buddy/coworker last summer and he built himself a 55 Chevy.  I'll post the pics up in another thread.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02 2019, 08:11:16 PM »
WMsonta. Dans Roadrunner has Cal Tracs rear suspension and was built by Barrs Performance in Naples Florida. I have the last owners name...can PM it to you.

Link for Barrs Performance...http://barrsrestorations.com/
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02 2019, 09:06:47 PM »
Thanks.I am aware of Cal Trac's. I have 2 guys that use them. I thought it possible, one of these guy's might be using Mother Mopar's Super Stock suspension parts available from the dealers counter. They were legend. When Pro Stock was brand new, the Mopar's were hard to beat even with the weight penalty of .5# per cu in. For 2 years, most used rear suspension parts, anybody could buy from your local dealer.
It was said that the Motown Missile did not run a quarter mile. It rotated the earth.

I just finished looking at Forzfed's 55 210 pictures. Most will not even realize the work in that front bumper. He has a friend who owns a Hemi GTX. You run with 2 guys who seemingly race show quality vintage Mopar's. You both can drive GN street cars. At this point, Ima guess neither of you have a 4 cyl s10 for your daily beater.

I am going to change my damn deodorant. Or find a church and put some money in their plate. Hell, I might even trade my oatmeal for some Lucky Charms.

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02 2019, 11:03:14 PM »
I just finished looking at Forzfed's 55 210 pictures. Most will not even realize the work in that front bumper. He has a friend who owns a Hemi GTX. You run with 2 guys who seemingly race show quality vintage Mopar's. You both can drive GN street cars. At this point, Ima guess neither of you have a 4 cyl s10 for your daily beater.
Actually, my daily is a Colorado 4 cyl. :D   My buddy's Hemi GTX is actually pretty beat.  But his brother is a wicked body man.  He was going to do a full restoration but changed his mind and wants to drive it and not worry about putting any dings in it. 

Cars aren't as expensive here as they are in the States.  There is one guy here that owns 2 70 Hemi Cudas, one of them is show quality, all original Shelby GT500 with 26 000km, a 302 Camaro, 67 427 Vette.  But he was telling me there is no way he could afford those cars today if he bought them.  When he bought them they were pretty cheap.
« Last Edit: March 02 2019, 11:12:51 PM by Forzfed »

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02 2019, 11:16:50 PM »
But he was telling me there is no way he could afford those cars today if he bought them.  When he bought them they were pretty cheap.

Sorta like those of me that bought a Grand National in the late 90's?  :)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02 2019, 11:27:37 PM »
Exactly, Earl.  I think he bought most of them after the gas crisis.  Everyone was trying to get rid of all their gas guzzlers.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03 2019, 08:35:44 AM »
Actually, my daily is a Colorado 4 cyl. :D   My buddy's Hemi GTX is actually pretty beat.  But his brother is a wicked body man.  He was going to do a full restoration but changed his mind and wants to drive it and not worry about putting any dings in it. 

Cars aren't as expensive here as they are in the States.  There is one guy here that owns 2 70 Hemi Cudas, one of them is show quality, all original Shelby GT500 with 26 000km, a 302 Camaro, 67 427 Vette.  But he was telling me there is no way he could afford those cars today if he bought them.  When he bought them they were pretty cheap.

Kudos to your friend for getting it running and driving and DRIVING it. Best way to enjoy a car imo, is to get behind the wheel and use the loud pedal.
A 302 Camaro equates to a first gen z/28. Love to see some pix if it and the others.
Funny how car guys are. I bought some injectors from one of the local Turbo Buick guys. Went out to his "estate" and he had five turbo buicks(two gn, a limited with moonroof and vinyl top, and a couple T cars), a gt500(I think 69), a 440+6 challenger in his garages(yes plural, and he was super nice and showed them to my son and me). It was a real cool thing. Same situation. He just bought when he found a deal.

As far as a torque plate goes, I have one so one must bolt the other head and mains on for the bore and hone. I just use a stack of washers to do up the fastener "slack" so the same studs are used. I never went through the hassle of trying to get it up to temp but I guess an all out engine like the NASCAR folks do it would be part of the process. I think it is amazing just how much a Buick (all the BBB, sbb, and the v6) move and the cylinders get out of round by bolting stuff on to the block. Amazing the elasticity of the iron and that more don't crack in use.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03 2019, 04:46:28 PM »

That's a real nice car you posted. Sorry it was wrecked.
I do not live close to him anymore. When I found it happened, he volunteered that it was his fault. When I asked about the wheelie bars, he admitted they were intentionally high. Said he enjoyed waist/shoulder high wheelies for 100 ft. Said the crowd liked it. Said nothing he was aware of could change the numbers. Why not?

He was aware they had just prepped the track and thought nothing of it. When he realized he was in trouble, he tried to keep some throttle to save it. Unfortunately, the pass side slick hit the pavement first. The car made a hard 90* right, still partially airborne. He was in the right lane. He said, when the car came to rest about 100 ft from the line, he still had some throttle on it. It had happened that fast. It did not get over the guardrail and therefore not into the stands. Apparently, no pictures are known to exist.

There should be a thread where everybody discusses their safety routines. Given the number of quick cars on this board, I could probably learn. I would certainly contribute.

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06 2019, 10:20:18 AM »

A 302 Camaro equates to a first gen z/28. Love to see some pix if it and the others.
Funny how car guys are. I bought some injectors from one of the local Turbo Buick guys. Went out to his "estate" and he had five turbo buicks(two gn, a limited with moonroof and vinyl top, and a couple T cars), a gt500(I think 69), a 440+6 challenger in his garages(yes plural, and he was super nice and showed them to my son and me). It was a real cool thing. Same situation. He just bought when he found a deal.
The guy with the Camaro and other cars is more of an acquaintance.  I raced against him in a drag radial series we had years ago.  I do see him at the local car shows.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal