Author Topic: All about the Gray Ghost  (Read 97406 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: All about the Gray Ghost
« Reply #330 on: January 25 2019, 08:35:26 AM »
Firecore wires a shelf item or custom order? I guess with a coil for each cylinder this does away with the "wasted spark" ? And I'm guessing you can control the timing for each cylinder or is it just one "number" and the computer handles the firing?

It does look cool.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 26 2019, 01:43:37 PM »
Fire cores are not a shelf item. Need to contact Jack Laswell as he set up the wires with firecore. You can check the fire ore website but I believe it will direct you to JL Enterprises which is Jack. He’s in Royce City.

Correct, no more wasted spark for this guy. ECU-GN handles all things ignition now. Was using the TR6 before with individual coils which was not using wasted spark either. Just a few switch changes inside the box.

With the TR6 removed, one less box, I am finding the engine starts quicker and seems to idle more contently. Also when verifying timing after install, there was less correction needed to get the timing marks to line up.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #332 on: January 26 2019, 07:23:49 PM »
it always bothers me when there seems to be a bit of magic involved....bu t, then, I have never been quite sold on the TR6
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 27 2019, 12:23:14 PM »
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 24 2019, 10:41:03 PM »
Beautiful day so I headed to the track. When I got there, it was packed. Waited in the lanes for over an hour. Managed to get in 3 passes. Had installed a used set of QA1 rear single adjustable shocks along with other enhancements which I’ll keep to myself for now. Best pass of the night 6.90@104.77
I wish I was more consistent at the launch but that takes practice and I have a life.  I’m happy with the mph but there’s more in it. Stay tuned...
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 24 2019, 11:44:43 PM »
It was a good day!
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 25 2019, 09:03:18 AM »
Jason...forget about the other lane. When the other car leaves...do your thing. If your leaving on boost...then it's incredibly inaccurate for consistency as the gauge is small and tough to see. Melissa and myself both leave on RPM. That 5 inch monster tach isn't there to look cool. The numbers are large...so I bring it up to 2800...and leave on the last yellow when bracket racing. That's a serious looking car in front of you...and if you wanna go heads up with him...then you have to know when to leave on the last yellow...that's where practice comes in...cuz those guys cut damn near perfect lites.

Rear single adjustable QA1's. Some idiot in Canada uses those. Start at 5 at the same RPM each time and watch your 60 foot time on your slip and keep adjusting. More RPM and you'll have to run them harder as the car will want to hit the tires harder. Or better yet...have a buddy come out and vid your car at launch from the rear corner to see what it's doing like I did. Get a heat gun to read the track temp...as it makes a difference on what tire pressure to run. Throw a towel over the rear tires between rounds...the sun will make the tire pressure rise. I have no life...

Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 25 2019, 10:45:53 AM »
Jason...forget about the other lane. When the other car leaves...do your thing. If your leaving on boost...then it's incredibly inaccurate for consistency as the gauge is small and tough to see. Melissa and myself both leave on RPM. That 5 inch monster tach isn't there to look cool. The numbers are large...so I bring it up to 2800...and leave on the last yellow when bracket racing. That's a serious looking car in front of you...and if you wanna go heads up with him...then you have to know when to leave on the last yellow...that's where practice comes in...cuz those guys cut damn near perfect lites.

Rear single adjustable QA1's. Some idiot in Canada uses those. Start at 5 at the same RPM each time and watch your 60 foot time on your slip and keep adjusting. More RPM and you'll have to run them harder as the car will want to hit the tires harder. Or better yet...have a buddy come out and vid your car at launch from the rear corner to see what it's doing like I did. Get a heat gun to read the track temp...as it makes a difference on what tire pressure to run. Throw a towel over the rear tires between rounds...the sun will make the tire pressure rise. I have no life...
Brad your always good for a sensible tech tip and a good laugh! Thanks brother!
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 25 2019, 01:36:49 PM »
10 second car all day!
IhaveaV8

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 25 2019, 03:12:50 PM »
Great time! :cheers:   How much boost were you running?

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 25 2019, 09:44:05 PM »
Great time! :cheers:   How much boost were you running?
That 104.77 pass was at 21psi.  I’m not one to go all in at the track and see what happens. I have a good idea how much money and time has been invested so far on this car while it’s been in my possession and I would like to learn from it and have fun with it as long as possible. Another thing is that I don’t have anyone tuning my car but me so I can only hope I make a few good decisions on the computer. I still have know idea what my combo actually wants for timing or AFR for max effort, so I’m trying to play it safe as to not grenade the thing.... just yet
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 25 2019, 09:53:21 PM »
I know I have said it before, but, the more alky you spray, the less sensitive to A/F the tuning becomes.  Getting it to leave hard is the most tedious part.

Having a cage in the car makes it easier to leave consistently.
Steve Wood

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 25 2019, 10:48:36 PM »
There is good advise in this thread. I will add a couple of observations.

If you are going to leave on yellow, it will be necessary to stage shallow. the quickest the car will be is staged as shallow as possible and a 0.0x RT. Easier said than done for some. Like me, for instance.

Like Scoobum, I am a big fan of video when tuning the chassis. I want a white line on the rear tire or big white letters (think Hoosier). I prefer the pass side from the side and lasting for 60+ft. Cell phone video is almost instant feedback.

In this thread there is a picture shortly after the hit and a picture of the car at rest in the staging lanes. From these two pictures I believe your car has oem control arm location with negative rear body separation. It is also possible the front shocks are able to hit their extension limit. Standard G-body stuff. The drag performance could be improved w/time-money, but all street strip cars are a compromise. Guess who decides how much.

The car is certainly capable of running well into the 6's (10's) now. Depending on the weight, it is making some steam. Looks do not hurt either.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 26 2019, 10:38:44 AM »
I've been pushing Jason to turn the wick up to 23 PSI. Why...because the CEA high flow turbos come on like a freight train from 23 on up. When he gets the suspension dialed in...the car will run 6.7 all day long on a fat tune and an easy launch. Get quick on the tree...and you ain't gonna lose many races at 6.7.

Jason...keep an eye on the rear view...and ease off on the loud pedal coming up to the traps...and let them get close to you...but get to the line first. Most can't correlate ET/MPH...and everyone will think they're as fast as you. Most only look at ET...and can't relate MPH to it. Watch my vid/listen to me get out of it at the 1/8th...and coast for the wins. I let them catch up to me at the 1/4...but win by a car length or so. They honestly believe they're reeling me in. Run it all in at the traps...and you won't get any races.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 26 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
Tuning 101... Creap up on it.  :rock:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal