Author Topic: Radiator  (Read 7470 times)

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Radiator
« Reply #30 on: August 07 2020, 08:01:08 PM »
It has a trans cooler but its on the engine side & the fitting narrows down inside the rad. I think the stocker is like that but I'm not sure  I'll check when I swap them. The other 2 holes are supplied with hard plastic plugs & include Teflon tape on them from the factory but they just go directly into the rad itself so water only for them.
All 4 holes use the same size plug so I'll find a couple more to seal off the trans cooler so it stays clean inside. I'll probably grab some brass ones since It's polished up nice it should look pretty decent.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09 2020, 05:31:28 PM »
I just looped the engine oil cooling hoses together.

Don't do that. Remove the oil filter, remove the nut, and then take the sammich adapter off.  The filter will screw directly onto the oil filter adapter.

If you ever decide to run an oil cooler again, get a biggie adapter and put the sammich adapter back on.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19 2020, 02:05:32 PM »
My GN was running a little hot after sitting 2 years, so I just installed a GN1 Radiator and can use some help please.  I cannot find any fittings that can mate into the GN1 Engine side ports, which GN1 tells me were designed for the Engine Oil Cooler.  I use a remote engine oil cooler in front of the condenser and plan to leave it as is.  I want to use these ports for Trans oil. 

I am trying to just replace the radiator, as I feed my TOC line into the engine side radiator port and then to an aux cooler, also in front of the condenser, and then back to the radiator as Steve mentioned in a previous post.

My problem is I cannot find any adaptors or fittings that mate to the GN1 engine side radiator ports.  GN1 tells me these ports are “3/4” inverted flare”.  Speaking with Cold Case, it looks like I need a 5/16” inverted flare female to mate to the trans lines which I believe are 1/2”-20 threads, to a 1/2” inverted flare male (3/4”-18 thread) to match up with the GN1 radiator. Anyone have this issue and know where I can get any fittings or adaptors to mate into the GN1 radiator ports?  I’ve been to several auto, hardware, hydraulic supply stores and searched on-line with no such luck.  The AN, NPT and different fitting nomenclature can be confusing me.

If I can find anything that mates in the GN1 ports, I can try to get 1 or 2 fittings to mate up the the TOC line...
Too bad did not see this post earlier, or I may have gone with the Rock Auto radiator.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, KB roller rockers, 3400 West Coast conv, adj w/gate, FPR, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, G-Body DP, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb, LS1 MAF, TT chip, Hofer Trans, Stevemon TB, PTE SLIC, RJC powerpla

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19 2020, 04:06:23 PM »
Let's start out with what kind of hose/line/fittings do you want to use?  Rubber hose and barbs, pushloc style, regular AN, PTFE, hard-line?
Plenty of options to get the job done. 
IhaveaV8

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19 2020, 11:11:24 PM »
Thanks nocooler. Any option that leads me to the parts needed to utilize the winging side in-radiator cooler and my aux cooler. 

My preference would be a barbed fitting for the top port on the radiator that I can attach a hose to which will then attach to my aux cooler nipple. Then a 2nd brass fitting/flare or adaptor that threads into the radiator bottom port to attach one of the OEM TOC lines to.  (A 2nd rubber hose attaches to the aux cooler back to the other OEM TOC line completing the circuit).

This would replicate what I had with my prior radiator. I just can’t find anything that will thread into the GN1 radiator. Im open to other options you mentioned with AN fittings or push locks...
85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, KB roller rockers, 3400 West Coast conv, adj w/gate, FPR, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, G-Body DP, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb, LS1 MAF, TT chip, Hofer Trans, Stevemon TB, PTE SLIC, RJC powerpla

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20 2020, 08:16:35 AM »
Unless you're running the Bonneville Salt Flats or oval track racing...the oil cooler is useless...ditc h it. Hook up a good trans cooler and call it a day.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20 2020, 08:24:30 AM »
I hear you Scoobum but the aux oil cooler is already installed. Im just trying to hook up my trans coolers.

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21 2020, 01:59:04 PM »
Thank you so much nocooler!  Parts now on order.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal