Author Topic: Turbo Tweak GN ECU  (Read 36943 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Tweak GN ECU
« Reply #45 on: July 13 2018, 07:05:33 PM »
Maybe we should note we are talking about cars that get raced?

Define raced. You've been at this a long time. How many sets of head gaskets have you seen lost going WOT, whether it be on the street or track due to neglecting fuel pressure and the resulting detonation. 
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #46 on: July 13 2018, 07:50:57 PM »
have no idea.  For raced, I meant cars regularly taken to the track and running boost above 17 psi.  I admit, I have seen quite a few cars spraying alky survive blown hgs because the alky covered up the lack of fuel.  That is why I initially asked about logging fuel pressure and settting off an alarm when the pressure dropped some percentage below the boosted expected level
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13 2018, 08:42:06 PM »
Should have been available a long time ago, measure boost and and fuel pressure, squawk when there is a big spread
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13 2018, 08:46:40 PM »
Should have been available a long time ago, measure boost and and fuel pressure, squawk when there is a big spread

I've have my eyes open for years for a differential switch that can handle fuel for that very reason.    I haven't even came across one I could modify.

I also bet that if I were ever come up with one, nobody would buy it.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13 2018, 08:49:31 PM »
You've got a great idea of an alarm or light going off or both, if the fuel pressure drops to a certain point or percentage. Now, I'll ask you another question. How many people have admitted to you and how many posts have you seen, where guys have kept they're foot in it even tho the knock gauge is lighting up like a xmas tree.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #50 on: July 13 2018, 08:51:04 PM »
Lotsa people....LOL  That's the reason I was trying to find a means to jerk the timing (or boost if using electronic boost control)
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13 2018, 08:57:52 PM »
Lotsa people....LOL  That's the reason I was trying to find a means to jerk the timing (or boost if using electronic boost control)

You can call it the, Please Save Me From Myself feature.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13 2018, 09:31:35 PM »

How exactly PnP is PnP here?
Remove stock ECM.  Plug in harness to GN ECU. install wideband in downpipe.  Run wire to wideband from ECU.  Run vacuum line from manifold to ECU.  Start engine
That is pretty PnP - did it come with a start-up tune from the seller?  That is one of MS biggest issues is novices building tunes - especially VE tables.
As for KR, I'd imagine you could still keep the factory ECM connected and listening to at least display knock events.  It is a weird little system converting a crystal resonance frequency to a digital signal to a timing retard rate.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13 2018, 10:36:16 PM »
Couple thoughts.
First, I know you are the guy to make this go. I'm sure Ken will have one soon if he doesn't already.
As far as dash, will a tablet work? Something to slip in front of the giant speedometer.

Next thing comes to mind is the wifi. Is there a way to "lock it down". The statement of "sitting in the stands" worries me about the element of people who might be up to no good . Strong password?

I really like the diagnostic feature. Sounds like a great thing.

Keep us up. This is great.
Tablet will work with the real dash app. Put it on my iPhone but the app can do more on an android product. Going to steal the daughters android based tablet that she doesn't use anymore and give that a go on Monday... I hope
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13 2018, 10:40:20 PM »
Jason did you verify timing ignition timing?

Steve - until people stop tuning off knock threshold they are still going to break stuff.
I have verified on the previous system but not with this one yet. Went back to work about 30 minutes after I shot the startup vid. Now I won't be back till Monday to play with the car. Have the laptop with me and playing with the log I got at idle
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13 2018, 10:46:16 PM »
have no idea.  For raced, I meant cars regularly taken to the track and running boost above 17 psi.  I admit, I have seen quite a few cars spraying alky survive blown hgs because the alky covered up the lack of fuel.  That is why I initially asked about logging fuel pressure and settting off an alarm when the pressure dropped some percentage below the boosted expected level
This system has the ability to increase injector duty cycle to compensate for fuel pressure that is not rising one for one. Just have to tell it what the base pressure is set at with the vacuum line off
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13 2018, 11:00:43 PM »

Remove stock ECM.  Plug in harness to GN ECU. install wideband in downpipe.  Run wire to wideband from ECU.  Run vacuum line from manifold to ECU.  Start engine
That is pretty PnP - did it come with a start-up tune from the seller?  That is one of MS biggest issues is novices building tunes - especially VE tables.
As for KR, I'd imagine you could still keep the factory ECM connected and listening to at least display knock events.  It is a weird little system converting a crystal resonance frequency to a digital signal to a timing retard rate.
I forgot to mention that you have to calibrate the TPS before starting the engine but that's a peice of cake. Couple of mouse clicks and done, then start the engine.

Eric emailed a few weeks back asking if anything had changed on my combo since I last purchased the sd2 from him. I replied with the only change was going to a non lock up converter. He sends a thumb drive with his tune for your combo.  Start up video is from Eric's tune. I haven't changed anything yet. I am really impressed with his tables he built. I'm going to really nail down the idle first. I'm really liking being able to smooth the tables on the 3D graph. Can't do that with fast
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14 2018, 08:39:06 AM »

I forgot to mention that you have to calibrate the TPS before starting the engine but that's a peice of cake. Couple of mouse clicks and done, then start the engine.

Eric emailed a few weeks back asking if anything had changed on my combo since I last purchased the sd2 from him. I replied with the only change was going to a non lock up converter. He sends a thumb drive with his tune for your combo.  Start up video is from Eric's tune. I haven't changed anything yet. I am really impressed with his tables he built. I'm going to really nail down the idle first. I'm really liking being able to smooth the tables on the 3D graph. Can't do that with fast

There - that's the difference which justifies the added expense.  The support offered is the game changer here, assuming Eric can keep up with the demand.  Demand being the issue for some highly entitled novices who feel PnP includes Eric flying to their homes to set it up/troubleshoot/tune it for the money they spent.  We saw this on a lesser scale with MAFT Pro - cutting edge tech, price, and complexity at the time - I think Bob let it die because the learning curve was too steep for the Cool Guys who got overwhelmed/disappointed.

I have no doubt you got a grip on this, so buyer's remorse is unlikely in this instance.  $3K for an PnP OS/hardware, datalogging, and direct tech support is a very fair deal.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline aminga

• Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16 2018, 09:38:17 AM »
You know the old ISAC (alky boost controller could do that).  I discussed with bob at length about a knock sensor boost cut and some other things.   In the end the lean out using the wideband is the most reliable boost cutoff.  I don't remember the details but that was the consensus.  Of course the ISAC couldn't see the fuel pressure.
86 Regal T-type. One Owner. Twisted 6 Racing Built 109, FTSS Revolution X 206/210 Cam, T&D 1.65 Rockers, Diamond Forged Pistons, RJC Power Plate, TA6262DBB, PTE SLIC, Alkycontrol pump and Kit and ISAC Controller, Bailey TR6 Wastespark, TA Headers, ATR Downpipe, Racetronix Walbro pump and hot wire ki

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16 2018, 03:06:46 PM »
What was the demise/deal with that thing?  Also too complicated for the masses?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal