Author Topic: Porting Westgate question  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Porting Westgate question
« on: November 24 2017, 10:27:12 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had any before/after experience with this......some will remember my boost issues. Well winters are long here and I was wondering. My DP has the very large puck and a stock size hole. If I ported the hole to roughly 1/16 overlap if it would have an effect on the boost control....spe cifically being able to run higher boost. Now just to run 23 lbs I need a helper spring on the tension arm. What do you guys think?? As always...thank s!!
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Porting Westgate question
« Reply #1 on: November 24 2017, 10:43:59 PM »
With mine at 23 PSI, I need vice grips on the rod to pull it over the arm...the spring is that tight. Porting isn't an exact science as to the size.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25 2017, 01:00:19 AM »
Now just to run 23 lbs I need a helper spring on the tension arm. What do you guys think?? As always...thank s!!

If you're wastegate is flowing so well you have to have a helper spring at 23#s, porting it will make you need a stiffer spring.

Porting is to get rid of boost creep or flat out overboosting.  Your problem is the exact opposite.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25 2017, 08:18:02 AM »
Shimy. I assume you have an air compressor with a gauge on it. Empty the compressor...a nd hook a blow gun up to your air hose with a piece of vaccum hose over the end of the blow gun...and then onto the actuator. Zip tie both ends. Turn the compressor on and watch the gauge. The rod should start moving around 15 PSI. Less than that and the spring is prolly fukd. Mine was all in at 33 PSI.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25 2017, 09:12:25 AM »
One other thing. If you hear air escaping via the actuator...the n the diaghram is fukd.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25 2017, 10:27:20 AM »
Go for it.  Make sure you blend the short side radius to encourage flow (like cylinder head port at the valve) since the WG hole is perpendicular to the direction of exhaust flow.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14 2018, 06:30:10 PM »
We are ready to share this great comment with other people.

Oh spam bot... How I missed you.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal