Author Topic: Thinking of buying a money pit (I mean boat)  (Read 11294 times)

Offline gn85

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: -1
    • View Profile
Thinking of buying a money pit (I mean boat)
« on: October 31 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
I posted this on tbs.com, but since everyone is here, I thought I'd post on here and hear y'alls opinions.

If everything works out well, I think we'll be ready to take the plunge. We've had jet skis for a few years, so we're not 'new' to the water. Of course, I know there's a big difference between a jet ski and a boat. We've been going to the boat shows for the past couple of years and have seen a lot of what we like.

For our first boat, we've pretty much settled on a bow rider.  We'll probably go with something in the 22' - 25' range.  Our main use will be on the bay, although we will like also travel some rivers here in MD. 

I've been trying to get a feel for what brands of boats to avoid.  My wife made the conditions of buying a boat very clear.  NO PROJECTS!!  I really agree with her on this one.  Even though I'll likely be buying used and understand there's always maintenance and the occasional repair involved, I don't want to do a ground up resto. 

Also, I'm trying to get a fix on prices.  We went to Bass Pro and looked at the line of boats they have there and then compared that to what you can get used to see what the depreciation looks like.  WOW!! 

I post to hear your thoughts.  This place has always been a great source of good info and insight... so let's hear it.

Thanks.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of buying a money pit (I mean boat)
« Reply #1 on: October 31 2011, 11:33:56 AM »
I loved my boat. I had a 21' center console for years - Older Johnson 225 on it. Martone has it now - uses it for fishing charters. As far as brands - it's hard to say, Of course, Grady White or Boston Whaler are some of the best, but shockingly expensive. Personally I would get a gently used 2-3 year old boat, have it gone through by a good marine mechanic, and take it from there.

Boats, for the most part, can be very reliable, the idiots that don't do the routing maintenance are the ones that bitch the most. I had near zero issues with mine - I changed the water pump impeller every year, lower gear fluid, spark plugs, fuel filter, etc. Always ran great.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 31 2011, 02:40:38 PM »
been a few years since a boat owned me and I am somewhat cynical in that my knee jerk opinion is that boats, fast cars, horses, and women are the most fun when someone else is paying the upkeep.

That aside, I really think Mark is right with regard to today's boats.  Maintenance will avoid 99% of the potential problems and modern boats are plenty reliable as long as fresh gas is kept in them, they are stored for the winter correctly, and routine maintenance is performed regularly.

For Bay work, I think you have the size nailed.  Big enough for unexpected choppy conditions but not so big that it is a major hassle to move when needed.

I am not up to date on brands, but, I think Mark's suggestions are safe and I concur on the used advice.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
Boats are a blast...had a 22' Checkmate with a 225 Black Max...fast...7 2 MPH on the radar gun...and lots of fun. Sold it shortly before I bot my first house. With the price of gas...doubt I'll be buying another one.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31 2011, 04:55:06 PM »
Also  check to see if they have a boat owner's club there, similar to a  time share in operation. May be much cheaper in the long run. You really have to factor in REALISTICALLY how much you will use it.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline $1987 GN$

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31 2011, 05:48:43 PM »
 One other thing you might wanna check is the towing capacity of the rig you will be using; a 25 foot tandem can be fun behind a small tow vehicle, did that once not again. Even though the tow rating was there.

If you are gonna dock it; look into the yearly dock rates some are scary . . . Otherwise you will be trailering it every time you want to use it, takes the fun out fast if you have to deal with traffic etc.

As far as maintenance, no biggy as most have said here.

Oh and I forgot    Boat = Bring on Another Thousand

AJ___

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31 2011, 06:36:46 PM »
Trailering SUCKS
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline gn85

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31 2011, 11:14:20 PM »
Actually, I forgot to mention that I do want something that can be trailered.  For now, I'm trying to avoid keeping it in the water.  I have the space to keep a boat.  And I have a rig capable of towing.  Anything above 25ft, and I would probably have to get a bigger truck, but by that point, I think I'd be looking at other options anyways.

I do like the idea of being able to trailer a boat because I have different rivers, the bay and locations near the ocean. 

One other thing you might wanna check is the towing capacity of the rig you will be using; a 25 foot tandem can be fun behind a small tow vehicle, did that once not again. Even though the tow rating was there.

If you are gonna dock it; look into the yearly dock rates some are scary . . . Otherwise you will be trailering it every time you want to use it, takes the fun out fast if you have to deal with traffic etc.

As far as maintenance, no biggy as most have said here.

Oh and I forgot    Boat = Bring on Another Thousand

AJ___

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01 2011, 08:26:59 PM »
If you're like me and a fan of hot teenage ass (and the nudity that comes with it) a boat is a great way to save a lot of trouble. During the warm months it works as well at my hottub.

I've got a 19' jetboat with a big block chebby in it. Parts are cheap as it's just a car engine and the jet has only two moving parts.

Did I mention the teenage ass?  :tongue
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline gn85

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02 2011, 01:26:37 PM »
ROTFL... NO COMMENT!  Nice looking boat!

Offline KGB

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03 2011, 09:49:31 AM »
Is this teenage ass male or female?

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03 2011, 01:10:56 PM »

It's what ever you want it to be, just don't make me have to nearly Baker Act you again. :x
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline KGB

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03 2011, 02:07:49 PM »

It's what ever you want it to be, just don't make me have to nearly Baker Act you again. :x

He told me he was 18!!!  How many times do I have to apologize for that?   :x

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04 2011, 11:03:11 AM »

He told me he was 18!!!  How many times do I have to apologize for that?   :x

The Archbishop still hasn't received your apology..
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline gn85

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06 2011, 01:33:47 AM »
I've been browsing thru Craigslist and other sites to start getting a feel for what's out there. 

How far back do y'all think I can go back safely?  Initially I was thinking of 2000s, but some of the boats back to the mid-90s look decent.  Of course, I'm seeing the sharp drop in price as years go on.  What would be a good year boat?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal