Author Topic: 11.5 time bomb  (Read 7892 times)

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
11.5 time bomb
« on: February 13 2015, 01:19:07 PM »
  <blockquote> Im over the 10K mark with this build.I have put three sets of mains in this thing .
 I have been over this engine with a fine tooth comb .completely disassemble thoroughly clean and reassemble only to do it again .
 I have  been through the trans cooler pressures Good ,converter fit good,crank and block look good.
 Tune I dont know ,its a 6.1 TT  Alky chip    untouched ,Alky controller set at 6 , boost  only 20lb ,ET 12.0 MPH 112 not pushing it,leave soft go WFO
 I have gotten KR when it hits the rev limiter (5800) and only 5 times it has done that ,,its never lean and the rod bearings is a  little hurt buy contamination  but OK(I still change them)head gasket not hurt,plugs look good ,not lean no detonation good heat range ,I use Valvoline 10-30 racing ,no engine cooler ,no trash from there 
 Im ready to through this thing away and buy a new short-block from someone I'm just afraid to repeat my problem and do it again
 If 5K+  short block would make this go away id spend it.Its the not knowing that terrifies me .I chose 11.5 ET to keep it fun at the track and have nice Sunday drives with my wife around the island   </blockquote>   
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: 11.5 time bomb
« Reply #1 on: February 13 2015, 06:55:28 PM »
Any pix of the bearings you took out? Is the crank straight? Has the block been alingn bored? You say you only detonated a few times but with it spittin bearings you may have the wick up a bit too high and are pounding the bearings out with the detonation.

Something is wrong to be having that much trouble.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13 2015, 11:41:22 PM »
tricky
DLS 210-210
Champion irons

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13 2015, 11:44:24 PM »
took me a some time to figure that out
thats 3500 miles 10 passes at 20lb boost
DLS 210-210
Champion irons

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13 2015, 11:58:05 PM »
this block was line bored with three new steel caps added
yes today the crank is .0005 at #3 .0003 at #2
The KR came at 5800 right at rev limiter I believe it to be false head gasket no hurt
I have been trying to figure how to post the loges its to tec for me
DLS 210-210
Champion irons

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
11.5 time bomb
« Reply #5 on: February 14 2015, 02:42:36 AM »
Are the caps snug in the register I would suspect center cap alighnment
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14 2015, 04:28:15 AM »
It all looked good ,all caps are snug. I check the bore all are round to the .0000,so no cap has collapsed,the #3 bearing did collapse as you can see in pic ,I just new that cap would be a problem this time,bearing set befor this set hade more trust damage it was +.008 of where and this one was +.004,I've had a T in the transmission lines with a pressure gauge TV cable adjusted with a gauge,
I'm sure I'll pull the trigger for a short block just got to figure the shipping my spear to the mainland ,I'm steal a bum founded
DLS 210-210
Champion irons

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14 2015, 07:04:55 AM »
I saved the pics of those mains and blew them up. What brand are they? The rear main cap...where the bolt goes through...is a mess. Are the chamfers at the correct angle...cuz I've seen this before. A competent machinist after doing an align bore/hone will remove the caps...retorqu e them...and check them at 12, 3. 6 and 9 o'clock with an elongated dial indicator. I'd be curious to know what the size of the two inner mains are...right now. Oh...and those caps...may not be a high quality steel...seen it before.

You shifting at 5800 RPM...or seeing that at the traps? Put the transmission in D...and let it do it's thing.

If you don't thoroughly understand Erics 6.1 setup...then you'd be better off with his 5.7 chip.

If your completely honest with Eric with your build...and your intended max boost...then you should be able to run 22-23 PSI all day long with Erics chip on the default settings and Julios alky kit on his default settings...wit h zero KR.

Post a PL log of one of your runs...and let's see what's going on.
« Last Edit: February 14 2015, 07:35:25 AM by Scoobum »
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14 2015, 09:52:20 AM »
I noted on the other board your fuel pressure is at 57...where it should be at 64 at 20 PSI. Your voltage is 12.7...should be in the 13's.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 14 2015, 09:52:38 AM »
that would be one hell of a lot of detonation.  Any time I see steel caps, I always wonder if they were fitted properly as they don't always index properly to the block and the block has to be mated to them caps so they cannot move at all under boost.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14 2015, 10:12:06 AM »
that would be one hell of a lot of detonation.  Any time I see steel caps, I always wonder if they were fitted properly as they don't always index properly to the block and the block has to be mated to them caps so they cannot move at all under boost.

Exactly. One of the locals kept taking the mains bearings out of the block shortly after startup. He couldn't figure out why. It had aftermarket main caps. I bought the block...and took it to a machinist from when I apprenticed who has his own machine shop. Sure enuf...the steel caps didn't have the correct angle chamfer. What the other guys machinist did...was torque the main caps down...and align honed it. He degreased the block...and handed it back to the local. The locals machinist never noticed the incorrect chamfer...and never bothered to remove the caps...and retorque...and recheck for size. When I checked the mains for size...the caps 'twisted' in the block...and the mains were 'tight' all over the place. I had my machinist friend machine the correct angle to the caps...and do an align hone. That engine is still in service to this day. And you wonder why I run as much stock junk as possible.

Offline 278CIKILLER

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14 2015, 11:53:31 AM »
I told him that i had great re build motor for sale just drop in and go that would be cheaper than having that one sent back to the main land to do all over again, Just trying to help out.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14 2015, 03:55:47 PM »
I told him that i had great re build motor for sale just drop in and go that would be cheaper than having that one sent back to the main land to do all over again, Just trying to help out.

Look at it this way. If you sell your stage engine...then you have a 109 sitting there waiting to go. :)

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14 2015, 06:00:16 PM »
278 are you in the islands? thanks Im considering it ,I dont think it was his stag engine at that $ if it was this thread would have stoped 
like you said I think it has to be the block ,block machined in Hawaii Im a machinist by trade(not automotive)old school +-.001 kinda guy.
with inside micrometer (i dont own a bore gauge) It measure good. The rear cap what you see is gray RTV,I try to put just a supper thin layer.
Caps came from TA performance ARP studs.The rotating ass is first class stuff from a super guy in the buick world TA looking crank? Oliver I beam rods CP pistons
I just pulled the log back up fuel pressure  57-59  boost 19.5-20.5 yes its a little low but my AFR are staying 10.8 all the way through
The trans is in D, Lonnie as been working with me to get the governor to shift at 5500 1grm at a time we hope this last adj will have it havent had time to try it ,bearing bad and all , trap rpm 5300
I have limited experience with the 6.1 but have read the instructions over and over Eric reburned the chip when I put the champion heads on and he had all the info up front . Car runs so good
DLS 210-210
Champion irons

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15 2015, 01:07:45 AM »
snap shot