Author Topic: Tonight at Little River  (Read 1873 times)

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
Tonight at Little River
« on: September 12 2014, 10:01:15 PM »
Not certain where to this topic as i am writing this with much grief.

Tonight was suppose to be a night that I have been looking forward to since I went to the Texas Nationals back in March/April. I don't remember the exact date.  I met some really nice folks there and we took a liking to each other because we shared a mutual love for the Turbo Buick.  They shared many tips, tricks and knowledge with me as I am fairly new to the buick scene.  I took all that in, researched read thread after thread, spent hard earned money to make my Buick faster. Spent hours working on my car buying second hand and some new parts.  Tonight was the night to see if that all was going to make my car faster.  I was starting to worry about the weather early this week and it wasn't looking good today.  But hey, I had told so many folks that I was going so I went. 

I made one pass.  Got back to the pits anxious to look at the slip I had just picked up.  Put the car in park, popped the hood.  Grabbed the computer to save the run.  Looked at the slip, I was faster.  Picked up 3 mph and over 3 tents of a second.  Then I heard it...

Looked in the rear view mirror as what looked like a mustang flying in the air.  Ran to the fence but I wasn't the first to run for the vehicle.  Those that arrived at the vehicle immediately turned back and I over heard the voice of one telling another don't look. He's gone.... 

As a chinook test pilot I have heard and scene firsthand what he was trying to keep the others from seeing.  I have even shared some of my experiences with Charlie. But this one was different.  I had just ran down that same right lane.  Why did he hit the rail and not me? Why was it his car that flew in the air and not mine?  Why did his car hit that tree and not mine? Why was his car now in two pieces, half in the track and the other half outside the track under the tree?  Why?

Not sure I'll be racing my car any time soon.

I turned and saw Kirk with his phone calling for emergency services.  I walked to him as he started to break down.  I don't know the safety record at Little River but I do know that Kirk knows all the locals and this had to be someone he was close with.  I told him that I would be praying for him and the folks affected..  What else could I do? 

Emergency services arrived along with the sheriffs department.  They blocked the left lane of the track as to keep the scene private which I thought was very respectful of the deceased.

My father in law and I gathered our things and drove back to gatesville. The whole drive back we discussed the events.  I am still shaken...

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Crash-At-Drag-Strip-Leaves-Man-Dead-274984801.html?device=tablet
« Last Edit: September 12 2014, 11:58:31 PM by good2win22 »
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight at Little River
« Reply #1 on: September 13 2014, 12:53:38 AM »
One of these days I will tell you some classified info Jason. :O I'm sorry you had to see this but it wasn't as bad as I had to deal with. You will be back at the track, just not right away. This was just a warning to be careful so you can watch the kids grow up as you grow old. :cheers: Still hope we can go to Noble and have some fun but I understand if you don't want to join in. :pissed
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13 2014, 07:25:09 AM »
Sorry to hear it Jason. It seems to bring the reality that all kinds of racing is dangerous even 1/4 mile. We race machines, and machines fail in all sorts of ways. Rarely are they this tragic though. Call me if you just need to talk.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13 2014, 08:10:22 AM »
My condolences to his family and friends...and I'm sorry you had to see this Jason. We all have the 'it can't happen to me' mentality...an d sign the waiver form like it's second nature.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13 2014, 09:20:02 AM »
Thanks fellas.  I took a little something to help with sleeping and now I am thinking about the man who witnessed his brother's last moments.  I pray his grieving is short and that he can rejoice that his brother is in a better place and went out doing something they both enjoyed together. 

I have personally known 17 individuals that are no longer with us.  Most I served with in the military and some were close friends I knew through work but all died in some type of aviation incident.  Whether enemy fire, mechanical failure or pilot failure,  all are gone. 

Knowing that, having seen some of it and having made a forced landing in Iraq in 2005, I still climb back in the cockpit almost on a daily basis.  I guess you could say the primary reason I still fly is that its a skill set that provides for my family and you would almost be right.  Somewhere in the back of my mind and mostly in my heart I climb black in a the cockpit to honor those that went before me.

I will run the car again to honor him

Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 13 2014, 09:33:49 AM »
It's a sad event but there are risks associated with almost all that we do that makes life what it is.  We must do the best that we can to make things as safe as possible and if we are uncomfortable with the local situation then we give it a pass and move on.  Racing associations insist on safety equipment with such eventualities in mind but sometimes things happen in spite of the precautions at all levels of the sport and in life in general. 

My thoughts are with his family.  It's a terrible happening.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
Very sad! Years back at an NHRA sanctioned track there was a guy called something like "Downtown Joe Brown" running 6's & at half track the car just Exploded & went to a ball of fire. By the time the rescue trucks got to him the car was about 12"-18" high. That threw me for while but I guess we all know that taking risks are part of living life.
My sincere condolences to his family.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal