Author Topic: Trip to the warmer southwest  (Read 19888 times)

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Trip to the warmer southwest
« on: February 08 2014, 11:37:31 AM »
I'm trying to get a couple days off. Looking at hopping a train  somewhere in Amtraks routes south and west, mostly west. San Diego and Seattle are on the top of the list. Figure I'm gonna catch a sleeper car, chill for 3-4 days and head back. Any train stops along the way that might be interesting?
« Last Edit: February 08 2014, 04:30:50 PM by Pyro6 »

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to the warmer southwest
« Reply #1 on: February 08 2014, 11:36:16 PM »
Well if you can wait until the end of March we're having the first Texas Buick nationals on the 29th. It would get you out of the snowbelt and give you a taste of Texas before it gets hot down here. :023: :026:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09 2014, 03:19:19 PM »
That might not be out of the question. We have Motorama in Harrisburg this weekend, next weekend is Daytona already, points racing doesn't start til end of April. I just need to get away. Maybe Tastykakes and Hoggie rolls are in order? Where's the closest Amtrak station?

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09 2014, 08:33:10 PM »
I know there's one in the DFW area but I don't know if Austin or Waco have 1. The track's right near I-35 so it would be a straight shot down from DFW in a couple of hours. A friend of mine from South Carolina is coming for the races and I've got smoked brisket and ribs as well as some of my homemade wine for Friday night before the races. Most likely take some hotlinks to the races rather than buy at the track so we're just about prepared for anything. :rock:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10 2014, 06:49:25 AM »
How far from Austin are you?

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10 2014, 09:52:56 PM »
About 2 hours, but the races are closer to Austin. We have a local resort here on lake Whitney that my friend will be staying at from Thursday to Sunday. It's called Bosque resort and it offers fishing, horse riding, golf, and a bunch of other things. If you want a link just say so.

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11 2014, 07:03:50 AM »
Send it, I'll check it out.

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11 2014, 10:44:08 PM »
Here you go. I think it may just be something you'd like for a visit. :rock:

http://www.bosqueresort.com/

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19 2014, 11:17:56 PM »
Thanks Charlie, checked it out and the prices are very reasonable. Been doing nothing but plowing, shoveling snow, cleaning cars off before bringing them in, rescheduling, and trying to keep everybody happy. Just finished a class tonight on VVT controls. As of now, we're 6 jobs behind: upper control arm bushings on a 71 El Camino, 98 Stratus timing belt and water pump, 2010 Silverado low oil pressure, PT alignment and broken wheel stud, my local locksmiths Kohler generator fuel issue, and a Sorento no start (timing belt)? Plus, regular scheduled stuff.  Next week I have a Caddy CTS 2.8 thermostat. Anybody ever done one of those?. 4.4 hours.
I'm working on an over the road "training run", trucking south, rent a car for sightseeing (or attend races), take the train home. Until we get caught up, it might just be the end of March.
« Last Edit: February 19 2014, 11:25:42 PM by Pyro6 »

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19 2014, 11:34:58 PM »
The races are the last weekend in March and the crappie will be biting. I'll even make you a deal. I'll be serving brisket, ribs, and hot links that weekend and if you show up I'll even temp you with some homemade wine that will be ready about the same time. :player:

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20 2014, 06:51:42 AM »
I'll bring the Tastyakes, rolls, and :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer: :atbeer:

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20 2014, 09:12:51 PM »
PM me the info when you've got it nailed down and we'll make it a party. Mr Wood might (I doubt it) even show up for some fun. :rock:

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25 2014, 06:44:01 PM »
Is the race at Little River Dragway?
« Last Edit: February 25 2014, 06:50:40 PM by Pyro6 »

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1