Author Topic: TPS Adjustment  (Read 7946 times)

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: TPS Adjustment
« Reply #15 on: February 16 2020, 08:57:20 AM »

Steve has more patience than I do...here's his BLM writeup. I'm gonna go on a rant about BLM's and pre-turbo exhaust leaks on my YouTube channel any day now...

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/blms.htm
That would a nice for you to do a pre-turbo exhaust leaks on YouTube.
Please let us know so we, and I can view it. Thanks again
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 16 2020, 09:53:51 AM »
Dribble some transmission fluid or top engine cleaner into the throttlebody while the engine is running at about 1200 rpm. Dribble it slowly enuf that it does not kill the engine.  Look for smoke coming out of the exhaust system pre-turbo including where the turbo mounts.  Be sure to examine the cross over pipe joints carefully.

Also, be sure the  connections to the outlet side of the maf sensor to the inlet side of the turbo and follow up on all the connections between the outlet of the turbo to the throttlebody are tight.

Check the egr valve and make sure it is not leaking around it's base and that the diaphragm does not have a hole in it.

Be sure to check to see if the intake bolts are tight.  I normally torque them to about 30 ft-lbs.

Normal maf range at 750 rpm is 4-6 so yours is fine.

« Last Edit: February 16 2020, 10:11:46 AM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16 2020, 11:45:35 AM »
Dribble some transmission fluid or top engine cleaner into the throttlebody while the engine is running at about 1200 rpm. Dribble it slowly enuf that it does not kill the engine.  Look for smoke coming out of the exhaust system pre-turbo including where the turbo mounts.  Be sure to examine the cross over pipe joints carefully.

Also, be sure the  connections to the outlet side of the maf sensor to the inlet side of the turbo and follow up on all the connections between the outlet of the turbo to the throttlebody are tight.

Check the egr valve and make sure it is not leaking around it's base and that the diaphragm does not have a hole in it.

Be sure to check to see if the intake bolts are tight.  I normally torque them to about 30 ft-lbs.

Normal maf range at 750 rpm is 4-6 so yours is fine.
Hi Steve,
I do appreciate your comments, and advise of my situation
I'm going to wait to do these leak test until I repair the downpipe donut
I will keep you posted of results
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20 2020, 09:29:24 PM »
Hi Steve,
Adjusted the TPS to .44, but the wot throttle reading was only 4.15
After trying to get the wot voltage to be around 4.3-4.8, I removed the TV Detent cable from the throttle body and now I have extra movement to the gas pedal.
I reattached the TV Detent cable and move the TV cable forward just a bit and now the wot is 4.3.
I replaced the TV Detent cable couple of years ago, and I haven't driven it for over 15 years.
Yes I know, WHAT you haven't driven it?
Moving from New York to South Carolina, and for the most part I have been doing a lot of house upgraded.
Don't get me wrong, I do start it up, drive it down the block after I replaced the tranny since the tranny got burnt from the original TV Detent inner cable was getting stuck inside the cable preventing the inner cable to slide, or have movement.
After reading a lot of controversy of how to adjust the TV Detent Cable of adjusting by the GM way or drop the tranny cover and see if the plunger is max when the throttle is at wot. 
[/size]Finally my parts came in and so I can now install the downpipe donut, the EGR plate, transhift cable, remove the tranny cover to confirm TV Detent Cable plunger valve. After all is completed, then start to do a smoke leak test for vacuum, and also for exhaust leaks. When all is done start over all again on the tps, iac , and wot adjustment.
[/size]Will keep posting when all is done

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21 2020, 08:34:34 AM »
Once again...here's a writeup from Steves site for the TV cable adjustment with a pic.

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/tvcable.htm
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21 2020, 08:47:35 AM »
Remove the drivers side floor mat...as the loud pedal may contact it.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21 2020, 08:59:06 AM »
If he read the tps adjustment on my site, he should have read the part about the floor mat and also about checking the cable for stretch, or being too long.

He does  mention above that he has a new tv cable but that does not mean much as many of the replacements were not quite the right length so it could be, too short, too long, or just right :D  the Goldilocks syndrome
Steve Wood

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21 2020, 09:28:41 AM »
Remove the drivers side floor mat...as the loud pedal may contact it.
As I mention before I replaced the carpet, and even though I do have new mats, they are not near or underneath the pedal function.
I did purchased the TV detent cable from highwaystars and if you read as per their instruction you can understand why need to visual check the tranny plunger valve and TV cable are set correctly
https://www.highwaystars.net/cable-transmission-throttle-valve-detent-replaces-gm-25532115/

« Last Edit: February 21 2020, 09:59:22 AM by gnonyx »

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21 2020, 09:49:07 AM »
If he read the tps adjustment on my site, he should have read the part about the floor mat and also about checking the cable for stretch, or being too long.

He does  mention above that he has a new tv cable but that does not mean much as many of the replacements were not quite the right length so it could be, too short, too long, or just right :D  the Goldilocks syndrome
Thank You Steve, you right so right about being a Goldilocks syndrome, having a new TV cable may or may not not be the correct length. Back then there were many issues about the correct length replacement of the 2004r TV detent cable.
During the replacement time I was dealing with highwaystars, who sent me a TV cable that was too short, and then sent me the maybe correct length as what I have now.
This will be extra work I have to do to confirm the TV cable and the tranny plunger valve are working correctly, since I don't want to damage the tranny.
« Last Edit: February 21 2020, 01:44:07 PM by gnonyx »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21 2020, 12:57:22 PM »
If the car shifts cleanly with no slipping between two gears, then it is okay.  If you go too far one way with the adjustment, the shifts will be firm, but delayed (shifts at higher mph than normal.  If you go too far in the other direction, the the shift points will be early and slip between the two gears.  That is no good. 

Seems like it is usually with about 4 ridges showing as in the picture on my site.
Steve Wood

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21 2020, 02:00:07 PM »
If the car shifts cleanly with no slipping between two gears, then it is okay.  If you go too far one way with the adjustment, the shifts will be firm, but delayed (shifts at higher mph than normal.  If you go too far in the other direction, the the shift points will be early and slip between the two gears.  That is no good. 

Seems like it is usually with about 4 ridges showing as in the picture on my site.
I agreed your site is great, very informative, and the 4 ridges as shown maybe the correct setting if the TV detent cable is the correct length.
We and I don't know unless I visually confirm highwaystars TV cable is the correct length between the throttle body and the tranny plunger valve.
I lost one tranny because these TV cable was adjusted incorrectly or stretched and by the time I figure it out the tranny started to smoke.

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
Re: TV Cable Adjustment
« Reply #26 on: February 23 2020, 06:43:33 AM »
Here's a blurb from one of the best.....Lonni e Diers at Extreme Automatics...h ope this might be of some help ?  :hmm

TV (Detent) Cable AdjustmentCritical to the life of your 2004R or 700R4. The TV cable raises line pressure in the transmission and its adjustment is vital to the life of the transmission. The following assumes correct throttle linkage geometry used in a fuel injected or application where the transmission was used from the factory. Most Factory cables have an automatic adjustment. You push the button in on the side of the cable. While holding the button depressed pull the cable housing toward the firewall as far as it will go and release the button. Now depress the pedal and the cable should ratchet into place. To check your adjustment open the throttle all the way by hand and check to be sure there is no play in the cable. Be sure its tight. This is full TV setting. If the trans shifts very hard at this setting you can back off the cable a couple of clicks. If you back off the cable from full TV and it softens the WOT you have gone to far. Aftermarket cables do not have the auto adjustment. You will adjust them by simply releasing the clip and moving the cable. Check WOT setting to be sure you are at Full TV as a starting point. Adjust from there. A pressure gauge should be used when the 2004R or 700R4 has been used in a carb conversion.

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
Re: TV Cable Adjustment
« Reply #27 on: February 23 2020, 06:54:13 AM »
I've got one of Lonnies' Stage II lock up transmissions that uses his modified "BRC" valve body which mimics the famous BRF valve body found in our factory Buick 2004-R transmissions

TV cable set up is a little different and you must drop the transmission pan and use a digital vernier caliper to measure plungers engagement points to ensure proper TV cable adjustment.

However beware that this only applies to the Extreme Automatics transmission which use his BRC Valve Body and unique plunger springs.
Here's a link:

http://www.extremeautomatics.com/assets/pdf/2004R_Transmission_Install.pdf
« Last Edit: February 23 2020, 07:03:13 AM by 1KWIKSIX »

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23 2020, 06:57:21 PM »
I started from the beginning and press the "D" button on the TV cable back to the firewall, and press the gas pedal to the floor, hearing the TV cable ratcheting forward.
My question showing in the photos, after press the pedal to the floor should the plunger be flush or should there be a little bit of shaft expose?
« Last Edit: February 24 2020, 09:38:41 AM by gnonyx »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24 2020, 01:24:26 PM »
will the plunger go any further in?  If it will, I would start at that point and see if the shifts occur at the normal speeds.  If the shifts are too high, then I would pull the cable back a notch at a time until the shifts are at normal speeds (part throttle) and assuming they are still firm and clean, I would leave it alone.
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal