Author Topic: jason's education thread  (Read 98715 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
Re: jason's education thread
« Reply #285 on: June 15 2015, 02:11:43 PM »
Billy = Avila?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 15 2015, 04:01:14 PM »
Billy = Avila?
No.....  Billy the kid! lol
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 15 2015, 04:03:49 PM »
Billy = Avila?
No.....  Billy the kid! lol
Well you didn't get a goat from me. :rofl:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 15 2015, 10:08:26 PM »
Thanks for breaking it down for me Steve so even this guy could somewhat understand it. 
It couldn't hurt to just have the wideband sensor installed to back up the narrow band readings and vice versa and still run the narrow band chip.  That may be the way to go so  I can get a better grasp of the wideband tuning. 
I was a bit surprised with Billy's car when my old white T, which still has an unopened stock engine, was outrunning his car.  He had some better 60 foot times, which I feel comes with practicing consistant launch techniques, but the old white T was killing him at the traps with both time and mph.  Pretty much same setup except for his 212 cam and he was shifting at like 6 grand.  Same 6262 turbo and both pushing around 25 PSI boost. 

Did you get those gaskets changed?

Shifting at 6 grand with that cam is too high. I leave my transmission in D and let it do its thing. The 1-2 shift comes in at 5250 with the 2-3 shift at 5500. RPM drop at the shift points checks in at 700...with the 16930 convertor 'flashing' to 3950 on a hard launch.

Getting the alky turn on point set...is critical. Too soon...and it'll bog the motor down. My SMC progressive kit kicked in at 13 PSI.

A word about heads. There are head porters...and there are head porters...and mine is the latter. The other option is to go with a set of Champion irons. Most don't run enuf valve spring pressure.

I don't run WB cuz I know when I have the fueling in the 750's at the shift points with my engine that I'm at the grenade point.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 16 2015, 01:27:20 PM »
Thanks for the input Brad

I worked on my A/C yesterday evening.  I'm no HVAC guru.  At idle, set on max, fan on high with the windows down and high side was 185-190 and the low side was 35-36.  Are these good numbers?  I believe temperature has some affect on the pressure readings but not certain.  Outside temp was low 90's. The temps in the pic:  lower number is from the center vent and the upper number is from where the thermometer is resting on the dash
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 16 2015, 02:40:04 PM »
WBO2 + PowerLogger = success.  That is the simple solution, IMO.  Even if your ECM isn't adjusting with the WB02, you can at least read, record, and review the data in a very clear and linear fashion.  Tuning with a NB02 alone is sketchy.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 16 2015, 04:05:07 PM »
The center usually gets the most air and is usually the coolest Jason. You should be close on all vents though. If the top is your center and the bottom is your side then you've got something blocking the vent in the dash. I've pulled mouse nests out when something like this has happened. :rofl: Damn things will make a nest anywhere they can, believe me. :013:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 16 2015, 04:13:37 PM »
The center usually gets the most air and is usually the coolest Jason. You should be close on all vents though. If the top is your center and the bottom is your side then you've got something blocking the vent in the dash. I've pulled mouse nests out when something like this has happened. :rofl: Damn things will make a nest anywhere they can, believe me. :013:
The top number is the temp at the little white box.  The lower number is at the vent. All the vents were within like 2 degrees of each other.

I bought this little device to check the inside of an old coke machine. It was like $20.  It has like a 6 foot wire with a temp sensor on the end of the wire.  Put the sensor wherever you want to check the temp and then put the little white box where you can easily read the numbers.  It has come in handy over the years. Temps on the display are labeled as outside and inside. Inside being the temp at the sensor wire
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 16 2015, 04:17:42 PM »
WBO2 + PowerLogger = success.  That is the simple solution, IMO.  Even if your ECM isn't adjusting with the WB02, you can at least read, record, and review the data in a very clear and linear fashion.  Tuning with a NB02 alone is sketchy.

So you find tuning with the wideband easier or just as a backup to the narrow band tuning?  I have had no issues tuning with narrow band without a WB as a backup.  I just keep it on the safe side if something doesn't look right. 

I believe you have mentioned to me before a wideband that you use. Is it a stand alone with gauge? I forget
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 16 2015, 04:39:34 PM »
Here ya' go Jason...and I'm likely putting one in my car. :)

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/103_107/products_id/357
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
jason's education thread
« Reply #295 on: June 16 2015, 06:33:21 PM »
I need one of those 7ft cables for my AFX.   The square box is ugly but the system is outstanding

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Online TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 16 2015, 08:00:17 PM »

I worked on my A/C yesterday evening. 

That's just because some moocher borrowed and kept your gauges for way too long. I'm glad you got them back.

P.S. I really appreciate the loan. Thanks for your generosity.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #297 on: June 16 2015, 08:09:10 PM »
Jason, what kinda heads did your old car have?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 16 2015, 08:25:57 PM »

So you find tuning with the wideband easier or just as a backup to the narrow band tuning?  I have had no issues tuning with narrow band without a WB as a backup.  I just keep it on the safe side if something doesn't look right. 

I believe you have mentioned to me before a wideband that you use. Is it a stand alone with gauge? I forget

I haven't tuned with a NB02 since the early 2000s; I have only ever referenced them to appreciate what the ECM is seeing - just like any other I/O sensor that contributes to how the car is running.  The WB02 gives increased accuracy and repeatability, plus you can recalibrate it as you go over the life-cycle of the sensor (cannot do that with the NB02... it just craps out).

My Buick is hardwired with a Innovate LC-1 this is tied into the MAFT Pro and the Powerlogger with its analog outputs.  I prefer the newer digital Innovate MTX-L line now because everything is full integrated into the gauge (and is very flexible).  I own 2 of these.  So yes, I firmly believe in having a WB02 in my "tool box" when tuning.

Cannot do this with a NB02: http://www.fullthrottletech.com/showthread.php?t=6744
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline williambavila

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 16 2015, 10:40:28 PM »
I guess I need to start reading to see how many time steve has said " I wish William would just sell his car"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal