Author Topic: Computer Rant  (Read 4665 times)

Offline AtomicBread

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Computer Rant
« on: February 03 2005, 02:46:19 AM »
:rant:

I hate HP computers. Specifically, my laptop. A laptop is meant to be portable..Mine weighs 10 lbs...The fans put out enough heat to burn whatever it is sitting on.  It's makes a hell of a lot of noise when the fans are on. It's a 2.8 P4 and 512 MB ram, and it is still slooow. It has Windows..So, it dies every 15 minutes..The AC adaptor plug can be crunched pretty easy..

I bought it in Oct. 2003 and I have had it in for repair 3 times. It involved the screen and motherboard.

Okay, I am done...

HP :camper:

[schild=random fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]HP Blows!![/schild]
Jason
1987 Limited Turbo T
:horse:

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Rant
« Reply #1 on: February 03 2005, 10:34:10 AM »
I love my little ghetto laptop.

I got it for $40.00 shipped from a for sale/trade forum.

It's an Acer Travelmate 505DX. Granted, not a powerhouse, but it's fantastic for surfing, Turbolink, etc.
The guy I bought it from said he used it in college 2-3 years ago, and it had been sitting and he just wanted to get rid of it. It had no hard drive, and he didn't even know how much memory was in it, he thought it only had the base memory in it, (32MB), well, when I got it and opened it, there was already another 128MB stick in the lone expansion slot, so it came w/~160MB ram already installed. I threw in the HDD from my old P-II Toshiba, formatted it, installed WinXP, and now it rocks. The battery was trash - plan on getting another one on Ebay soon, ~$50.00, and a bigger HDD. It only has a CD-ROM,  player) but @ $40.00, I can't complain.  :D

I'm typing this message on it now, I have an old DLink 802.11b WiFi card in it, connected to my $25.00 SMC wireless router.

I pretty much only use it on the porch/patio (Has to be plugged in to work), and usually inly when I come downstairs for a smoke. I like the fact that when I close the lid, it goes into standby in about 5 seconds, shuts off the HDD< and releases the WiFi connection. When I come back down to smoke again, I open the lid, enter my PW, and it's back up and running, connected to the network, in about 5 seconds.

It's missing the tilde key cap, but other than that, it's awesome. I don't care too much for the keyboard, my Toshiba had a much better layout.

As for yours, it shouldn't be slow at all. I would look for Spyware, or a virus. If that doesn't work, it ma be time to wipe it clean and start over again. There's also utilities out there to clock the CPU back with software - although it will still run fast enough to surf, do work, etc.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline AtomicBread

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Rant
« Reply #2 on: February 03 2005, 04:09:28 PM »
I am to the point of wiping it and tossing Linux on it..My linux box at work isn't even this tempermental.. .

:rambo:

Gotta love computers..
Jason
1987 Limited Turbo T
:horse:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal