Author Topic: Body and Painting  (Read 14513 times)

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Body and Painting
« Reply #15 on: March 26 2012, 08:35:49 PM »
Thaks for the read guys. :rock:  I'm going to have to do a full strip on mine to make the paint look 1/2 decent because of the repairs on the rear quarters and surface rust it has. :(  So chem strip is the best way to get it down to metal and then sand the rusted area before priming? Then use an etching primer after taking care of the dents, dings, ect?
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26 2012, 09:01:35 PM »
I think high end shops do epoxy primer on metal. Bodywork can go over epoxy from what I've read.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline gbsean

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buickperfomancegroup.com
« Reply #17 on: March 27 2012, 01:17:58 PM »
media blast is the best way...if you have to apply body filler...grind area...apply etch prime....then epoxy...then body filler...there are a few companies that make a self etching epoxy primer....most epoxy primers only have mechanical adhesion...ie a sand scratch...it is possible to scrape off epoxy on a smooth surface....sel f etch primers etch chemically yo the surface...epox y and self etch primers have very limited filling properties. There also a new generation of DTM Direct to Metal Primers that can both self etch and fill...if you give me a paint brand you will be using I might be able to point you to the correct products.

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27 2012, 02:49:31 PM »
Haven't picked a brand yet Sean. :icon_redface:  All I've done so far is weld the new quarters on and hit it with primer so it wouldn't rust. My main concern so far was to get rid of the R83 ventelated rear quarter option so the wasps wouldn't make a nest again. :rolleyes;  It's cheap spray can stuff so I'm sure it'll need to be removed before I go any further on the body work. :hmm
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27 2012, 03:46:18 PM »
to strip a car to bare metal is a lot of work and time consuming. When I did mine just stripping and prep was 24 hours...and that did not include taking all the trim...quarter windows...bump ers and fillers...gril le..spoiler... taillights etc etc...that was almost 18 hrs... then you have to tape and mask everything you dont want sprayed..as far as booth time...if it is in bare metal...you have to apply a self etching primer...then a primer filler...block that...then another coat...bock that...apply color...if going base coat clear coat...you then need to apply clear...wet sand and polish and then put every thing back together 90 hrs to me is low...there is a lot of work involved...

Now if you are taking it to a regular body shop they can make 8k in a day with a simple collision repair...and do those all day every day...most shops do not like to do completes as they can put the labor towards more profitable collision work. 

These quotes both subed out the stripping using media blasting, $500. I get they make better profit from collision work, its insurance money. The book says 4 hours for something, get it done in 2 and extra profit, it takes 5 hours, add an hour to the final billing.

My car is solid and straight, just seemed kinda greedy to me with a 90 hour prep and reassemble estimate :chin: , but I'm not a body guy so thats why I asked. Again, it just seems like a guy wouldnt need 2 weeks, all day, to do this work. You would know, thanks! :atbeer:   
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
Most body shops do the full paint in stages and it's only done when things are slow. I believe house of kulor (sp) takes up to 3 years to finish a car from when they get it. I've had friends take their cars to a body shop and seen them sit for a year or more before they get them back, so keep that in mind.

Offline gbsean

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buickperfomancegroup.com
« Reply #21 on: March 27 2012, 08:11:04 PM »
I have done 5 completes on GN's...and they are a PIA...rather do piece work....plus customer is never really happy....it not like swapping out a part..and there is always something hidden....

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27 2012, 08:47:16 PM »
And that's why I'm doing a frame off now. :x  Floors are solid but with the frame being rotted in just a few places I want to make sure that I don't have future issues once it's done. :(

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
Most body shops do the full paint in stages and it's only done when things are slow. I believe house of kulor (sp) takes up to 3 years to finish a car from when they get it. I've had friends take their cars to a body shop and seen them sit for a year or more before they get them back, so keep that in mind.
I have done 5 completes on GN's...and they are a PIA...rather do piece work....plus customer is never really happy....it not like swapping out a part..and there is always something hidden....

I believe what your saying but its a business, I own a business, that just seems unacceptable. I get its a PIA, its someones toy, they dont NEED it right now, but in the end your paying for a service from a business. If a place dosent want to do it they should just turn it down, but instead its accepted to charge "to much" or take forever. I cant charge more for the stuff that I feel is a PIA, or take years to get something done.

Just frustrated, I think most learn to turn wrenches because they feeled screwed by mechanics. When it comes to body work its accepeted that you will pay an unfair price because its something you could never do yourself. I think I'm average and it just seems like paint work is beyond a DIY guy, like fixing your own computer, its something most never tackle.

Just venting!!
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28 2012, 12:18:53 PM »
Understandable ..

You could always learn yourself - take a tech course or something..

I plan to dabble in it - I bought a body hammer set, we'll see..
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28 2012, 03:31:34 PM »
I keep thinking this is a body painting thread, click the link and it is a technical thread.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28 2012, 03:36:43 PM »
Understandable ..

You could always learn yourself - take a tech course or something..

I plan to dabble in it - I bought a body hammer set, we'll see..

Pretty much how I did my rear quarters Mark. Did a ton of reading and then just decided to tackle it. First one came out ok but the second one will need very little filler to look right. :icon_smile:

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28 2012, 03:59:07 PM »
I keep thinking this is a body painting thread, click the link and it is a technical thread.

Go jerk off somewhere else, jerkie
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28 2012, 06:02:26 PM »
How rude! :tongue
« Last Edit: March 28 2012, 06:25:44 PM by Top Speed »
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline TURBOPOWERED68

• David
  • Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29 2012, 02:18:31 AM »
as some of you know I have been in this business for over 25 years... I will offer advice as needed or requested...at least I could be good for something here...

i am planning on painting my hood, trunk and bumpers (plastic Bumpers).
i will be stripping it down to bare metal
the car is a daily driver and sits out side all year long.
Once the car is in bare metal,
What would a list of materials look like from beginning to end?

Most talk about having thick skin but thats just BS.
This damn attitude of "you didn't listen to us/me now you should burn in hell for it" really sucks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal