Author Topic: Gonna try a diy overhaul, or two  (Read 48499 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: Gonna try a diy overhaul, or two
« Reply #15 on: July 21 2013, 10:52:18 AM »

Got them out and cleaned up.

Tried to keep them organized

I want to get a new plate but the budget sez not at this time. I will clean this one up and replace when the first pan drop for governor/vb adjustment occurs.

Not sure if these numbers mean anything or are just mold numbers from the foundry. 

the springs had a blue or a white look to them. not sure if that means anything.

Some of these sleeves were hard to get out. I was being very careful not to scratch or score the pieces and the bore.

The rest of the days pix.

http://s444.photobucket.com/user/texastandgransport/slideshow/Transmission/AA%20Valve%20body

As always, I'm open for any questions but I surely am not a trans expert. I'm not even sure i'm a novice yet.
I'm having fun and hopefully this thing will get the car down the road when done.
« Last Edit: July 21 2013, 04:37:48 PM by TexasT »
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21 2013, 01:06:04 PM »
Rich

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02 2013, 10:19:18 PM »

Got some stuff by ups today. I hope it will tighten up the lower end.

I also stopped by Phoenix Transmission in Weatherford. I haven't been to their place since before they moved. They have a real nice setup. They hooked me up with a torque converter. I'm hoping to get her assembled and in the car this weekend. We will see.

More pix tomorrow.
Rich

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11 2013, 10:46:22 AM »
Well, life got in the way of my get er done but I was able to juggle some parts and get the lower section down to .010-.012 clearance and I think that will work. Gonna soak some frictions and put the lower section into the case.

I also have a deal working for a tta valve body. I think this is the same or very similar to the BRF piece. Doesn't come with a governor but we will see how it works. Pix to follow when I get it into my possession and disassembled to compare. I bought several used governors from wittrans.com so modding one to be similar to the tta/brf is a grinding session away.
Rich

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07 2013, 11:57:55 AM »

Well, I'm still at it.

I stopped out to see my friends at Phoenix Transmission In Weatherford. Yes, this is a shameless plug for them as they have always helped me out and this trip was no exception. I had heard they build there own converters and stopped in to see what they might be able to do for me and what it would cost. I came away with an exceptional deal on the converter we will be using. Big Praise for Greg and his crew.

I used to be able to just "get after it" no matter the weather. It has been hot and with the new job, my get er done hasn't been gettin er done. I did make a trip out to the garage the other night. We were able to get the trans up and mounted on the bench with a custom assembly and some c-clamps. My neighbor stopped by to enjoy the show. As I was drilling the holes in the bracket he asked why the drill was turning so slow and did i need to change the battery. I have learned over the years slow n steady is way better when drilling metal. It makes the cool, long curlies, and the drill bits last way longer. He also asked why I have two tool boxes. Lots of tools, right? I've always believed that if I can fix it I should buy the professional tools and do it. This makes for a lot of tools over the 25-30 or so years I have been working on stuff. Such a funny guy.

Clamped an old angle iron bed frame down and cut it to the length I wanted. I'm cheap and try not to throw good "stuff" away when I think I can use it later.

Essential tool for the hobbyist. The "homewrecker" as my dad dubbed it after he was cutting in for a fold up ironing board in his laundry room and cut both sides of the sheet rock(yes the laundry room side and the garage side). Got to be careful with power tools. Great for making large things into smaller things.

Long curlies as mentioned above. Drill bits still sharp ever though they are old. Faster is not always better. On a side note a tip I was given by an old machinest. I was inquiring about drilling a turbo oil drainback hole in the 4.1 block, and he told me use antifreeze as the coolant on the bit. just dip the bit in it. Crazy but it worked well. I used it to cut the threads too.

Years ago I bought this kent moore fixture off ebay. I couldnt figure out how to get it bolted on where it would work. It has what I think is the right part number but the piece the output shaft goes it is way far away from holding the output shaft in the right place. Oh well. I found some other tricks on the interwebz for that.

It involves a yoke. I bought this drive shaft years ago in the anticipation of going back to the 2004r. We will be replacing u joints any way so getting the yoke off was a torch and press away. Funny how the plastic stuff squirts out when the right amount of heat is applied. It's a vid just click on it.

I scored this for a dollar and 5 shipping off ebay. It is a $20 piece at the trans house. I couldn't pass it up.

I was also able to score this. It is purported to be a valve body from a turbo trans am. See the TA vb code there and the two pressure switches. I hope it works out. I will mod one of the low po governor to mimic a GN/TTA unit. Got a good deal on it too. Did i mention i'm cheap?

Only One more easy monthly payment on the wife's dd truck. That will free up some coin just in time for the winter hour cut at work. up side is Ill have some time to get this thing back on the road. I put a new distributor into my daily. It had developed a stumble and then quit running. I studied up and it turns out the original (198k miles) has a plastic body and wears over time. When I got it out it rubbed the rotor as it was spun by hand. No wonder it quit running. Nothing like taking the top of the intake off to get to the distributor.

As with any distributor swap. Pay attention to where it is pointing when you pull it, dont move the engine, and put it back in exactly how it came out. This one busted right off when we tried it. I was pretty happy. It only cost a benjamin and Im rolling back n forth to work again. All new and no core charge. I searched up the brand on google and it got high reviews. Ill give it a thumbs up too.
Rich

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10 2013, 12:18:06 PM »

I downloaded the B&M shift improver kit instructions. I also have a copy of the transgo and CK. There are a different set of instructions in each. I stayed with conservative holes in the vb plate, as it is easier to make holes bigger. Making them smaller, not so much.

Put the check balls in then the gaskets and vb plate. Bolted on the Valve body.

Then set to work on the accumulators for 1-2 and 3-4

We put a nut in there to space out the piston. Also used a 700r4 white spring for added tension to replace the broken stocker.
Rich

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13 2013, 07:27:57 PM »
Nice - thanks for contributing!
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14 2013, 03:00:41 PM »

Well I'm still at it...

I got the innards back into the case. Measured the play on the sections. Did some dis-assembly, changed the selectives and reassembled to heck play again. Took a few tries but I was satisfied, this seems to be where the run of the mill rebuild differs. Just slappin it back together generally results in getting to do another overhaul in short order. I didnt want to so I am taking my time.

This is my low buck output shaft fixture. Not pretty but it got me where I wanted to go since the piece I bought didn't work out.

I have been reading up on shift improvement kit. There are apparently many schools of thought on what to do to make the shifts. I downloaded the instructions for the B&M kit, and the transgo kit, and obtained a copy of the ck performance kit as well as having a copy of the "bible" of 2004r assemble from ck performance. I also read up on different thoughts on the valve body subject over at hotrodders.com and turbobuick.com in the transmission section.

I kept it conservative in the drilling out of holes in the valve body plate. Since I am using an AA code valve body I wasn't sure how it will react to the modifications. According to the manual the AA code from a Cadillac has the lowest line pressures stock, so just by my use of the larger boost valves and pressure springs it should wake it up. We will see.

I got some different springs for the 1-2 and 3-4 accumulators. We are using a sonnax 2nd gear servo so this includes the 2-3 accumulator. I decided to keep the accumulators functional though blocking them can firm up shifts. This might need to be done if using a loose torque converter. I would have liked to put in a different valve body plate as this one is worn but budgetary constraints didn't allow it at this time. Maybe we will have one when I drop the pan for a fluid change and governor adjustment. I ordered a small scale and I guess they are waiting on the container as it said on amazon that it would be 17-29 days.

As you can see the cover on the right has a larger area than the stocker on the left.

And of course the piston is larger too.
When installing this with the new carbon band it required a bit of modification to the pin length to get it where we were told we would need it. This affects the 1-2 shift. Too much clearance and the band doesn't grab and you get a mushy shift. Too little clearance and the band burns and probably ruins the drum too.
We assembled it up with the band, and anchor pin in the case but without and of the seals. Then we measured the clearance between the piston and the snap in retainer ring. If you cant get the ring in you don't have enough clearance. You can grind the pin, and try it again. Too much clearance and you can hit the tip with the wire feed welder to build it up and snug up the clearance. Once you get the clearance you want you can Put the seals and springs in and put it all together. Then we used a yoke on the output shaft to turn the output. Then by applying air pressure to the exhaust hole in the pan rail it should lock down the output and you wont be able to turn it.

i was advised to get the spring up and out of the hole a bit(1/4") so we dropped a nut on the shaft and this was the result. We used a white spring sourced for a 700r4 to replace the broken stock one.

Here are the instructions I got for the 2-3 shift mod. I didnt do it but will if I feel the 2-3 shift isn't where I want it to be.

These are the pieces of the TV valve. When I assembled it with the stock springs it seemed "sluggish" so I sourced some stiffer springs in hopes it will work well. I cut one of the larger ones on advice posted by Lonnie Diers of ExtremeAutomat ics.com that he uses a 2.1" spring. I also put a stiffer spring in the deep end of the valve as that plunger didnt seem to return to it position with authority when released. With the new springs I felt the valve worked much better when run through its stroke.

we torqued the overhauled vb on there along with the accumulators.

We took apart the governor. Did some mods. We'll see how they work and mod some more.

The 700r4 bottom feeding filter is metal so apparently it has a tendency to short out the vb pressure switch. I shrink wrapped the connector to try to avoid that happening. We also modified that black clip to try to limit the filter movement.
I have been reading up on tractor hydraulic oil. Lots of opinions. Id love to hear yours good or bad. Dex VI seems to be a favorite, but if I could afford that I wouldn't be overhauling my own trans now would I.

Again, I'm no expert but welcome any and all questions and comments.
And here's to a Merry Christmas  and Happy New Year to all.
Rich

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01 2014, 07:36:53 PM »
Well we have a bit more progress. We have the 700r4 out and the 2004r in but still have to tighten up some fasteners and put the new ujoints in the used driveshaft I bought. We had to source some bell housing bolts and apparently the dipstick tube is different so I bought a used one(waiting for it to arrive).  I'm pretty stoked even though we missed the Buick club even last weekend.
Rich

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01 2014, 09:37:03 PM »
Wow. Every time I look at this thread I feel dumber and dumber.
Way too many parts to keep track of...
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01 2014, 11:36:05 PM »
Well we have a bit more progress. We have the 700r4 out and the 2004r in but still have to tighten up some fasteners and put the new ujoints in the used driveshaft I bought. We had to source some bell housing bolts and apparently the dipstick tube is different so I bought a used one(waiting for it to arrive).  I'm pretty stoked even though we missed the Buick club even last weekend.
If you'd said something and showed for the races, I would've given you a tube Rich. I've got 4 tubes and 2 trannies so I've got spare parts. :O
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10 2014, 03:28:52 PM »
Wanted to go in a bad way but my truck is sucking water and I think the intake gasket has given out. I ordered a set, but haven't arrived yet. I didn't think I wanted to try and drive it down n back to see if it could. The other truck is running my truck spare(wife's daily), tread separated so it needs a pair. I'm not flush with cash so all of these things get to the list and ordered accordingly. I'm sure yall understand.

Upside, dipstick n tube arrived yesterday. Packed well and ready to go in.
I also won a gauge setup on eBay.
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=310915958318
Waiting for it to arrive.
My boy is learning why I got him talked into HVAC instead of working on cars.
Rain last weekend slowed the progress.
I also scored a pair of used short tires I hope to mount on a t wheel for a spare and hopefully short enough to fit in the well and be able to shut the trunk. We will see. 205-55/15 look much shorter than the 2157515.
Rich

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28 2014, 10:08:49 AM »
I got the eBay trans gauge kit. I like it. Made in USA and has qwik connect to swap gauges. I got the new u joints pressed in and drive shaft into the car. My son was under tightening bell housing and cross member bolts so I was adding fluid without the ds and he started yelling to stop as it ran out the tail without the drive shaft as I was finishing up the 2nd gallon. New dipstick and tube is in. Also dropped some coin on wood for my flat trailer. We oiled the boards down. Not sure if that will help but the wood soaked it uo so I guess it won't hurt.

My mil gave the oldest daughter a car but it needs intake gaskets so I need the trailer to go get it and bring it to the house. Just one more to the list of to-dos.

I dropped my gravely battery into the car and fired it up. Git a knock or tap but I'm pretty sure it is in the engine. It was a quart low on oil so I topped it off. I think it is a sticky lifter but time will tell. I got just under 100psi at idle in the trans. And at idle the thing jumps to about 270psi when I pulled the tv out at idle. Then the battery dies and it got dark so we cleaned up and made plans for a new truck battery so I can have my car battery back.
Rich

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28 2014, 12:27:32 PM »
Keep at it!
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28 2014, 10:21:36 PM »
My cool new trans pressure gauge setup. Works very well.

We crunk it up again tonight. I am stoked. We have pressures. Though I think we need a stiffer pressure relief valve and it will be included in the next build.
The tapping has subsided to nothing so I'm thinking sticky lifter that freed up.

We ran it through the gears and took some pressure readings at no and full tv at 1000rpm as the manual asked. They seemed good so I ran it through the gears on the jack stands. Than we ser it on the ground and I ran it back and forth in the drive way. We have it parked in so I didn't get t take it out. I did do a burn out but the wife was NOT amused but my boy thought it quite cool. I hope this works out. I am VERY excited and ready to hit the track with it.
« Last Edit: July 08 2018, 02:02:42 PM by TexasT »
Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal