Author Topic: hiding problems?  (Read 4319 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
hiding problems?
« on: December 01 2019, 10:11:16 PM »
When people post that their stock car was running like crap- then they install a modern chip and all their woes have gone away....

I figure they probably still have the same problem, the chip is just masking the symptoms

Comments?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: hiding problems?
« Reply #1 on: December 01 2019, 10:28:48 PM »

Erics chip helps...but the cars Dan and I have seen are so far outta fukn whack I'm surprised they're running.

Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02 2019, 02:49:00 PM »
They'll still have weak valve springs, shitty MAF, leaky vacuum lines, weak pump, underfed pump, timed out injectors, and most likely no scan tool.

But it'll get real when the timed out timing set lets go. :)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02 2019, 06:20:52 PM »
The first thing out of there mouth is it only has 60 thousand miles on it and was setting in a garage for the last 10 years
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04 2019, 04:39:17 AM »
I've lost count of the newbs with low mileage garage finds that have said ''what the fuck does 'timed out' mean?  It's only got XXX miles...'.

and not in an inquisitive tone, more of a 'I'm right, you're stupid' tone.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04 2019, 07:01:09 AM »
I’ve got one at the house that runs like a champ until you go over 5 psi of boost then it spits and sputters.  Has me pulling my hair out. Known good Cam sensor and cap.. check.  Known good ignition module/coil pack/plugs and wires... check. Known good crank sensor...check . Next on the list is ringing out wires to the module.

Fella said he put in a TT chip, hot wire and 42 pound injectors and this all started. Hmmmm....
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 04 2019, 09:38:28 AM »
and the fuel pressure does what?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04 2019, 10:16:54 AM »
Quote from: good2win22
I’ve got one at the house that runs like a champ until you go over 5 psi of boost then it spits and sputters.  Has me pulling my hair out. Known good Cam sensor and cap.. check.  Known good ignition module/coil pack/plugs and wires... check. Known good crank sensor...check . Next on the list is ringing out wires to the module.

Fella said he put in a TT chip, hot wire and 42 pound injectors and this all started. Hmmmm....

Does that maf show full range up to 255? did you tap on it to see about it stumbling?
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04 2019, 12:03:07 PM »
My GN once had a problem with ignition at EXACTLY 5 pounds of boost.  Didn't matter how I rolled into, nothing mattered.   It would backfire and have ignition problems at EXACTLY 5PSI, no matter what.

Turns out, it was fuel injectors.    The end cap glue joint failed inside my fuel filter.   All the rust in my tank from sitting got dumped into them at once.   They were so bad, Chuck couldn't test them first because it would have fouled his injector machine.

It was amazing because it felt EXACTLY like ignition.

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04 2019, 04:12:59 PM »
When people post that their stock car was running like crap- then they install a modern chip and all their woes have gone away....

I figure they probably still have the same problem, the chip is just masking the symptoms

Comments?
Maybe they didn't use a static wrist band and screwed up their chip!  I always hold the chip in a static resistant wrapper.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #10 on: December 04 2019, 04:47:08 PM »
Modern chips improve drivability and give changes that better suit modern gas  as well as adjustments for best performance.  They do not fix problems.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal