Author Topic: Any ford big block guys here?  (Read 5879 times)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Any ford big block guys here?
« on: November 08 2019, 02:50:32 PM »
I bought a bunch of 460's a few months ago and I'm sorting all the crap that's worthless into the scrap metal pile...

Before I toss these intakes, does anybody have any idea if there's some I need to keep out of the crucible?   I think I got a set of pretty rare heads with adjustable an adjustable valve train so there's a chance I have some sort of 'desirable' intake in the pile.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r8JhA7mb7tnqn18e8
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Any ford big block guys here?
« Reply #1 on: November 08 2019, 02:55:10 PM »
Early stuff is more sought after. Smog era not so much. D0, D3 heads have smaller chambers. Blocks make a good start on a 557BBF.
IhaveaV8

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08 2019, 03:37:18 PM »
Anything Pre 1972 is desirable on the block and heads side of the fence. We always junked the stock intakes for an offenhauser.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08 2019, 06:49:14 PM »
Only BB Fords were FE motors !! Ya showing my age. Don't know about 460 stuff. I think most guys would get alum intakes anyway. Not saying you can't find a hoarder.  :icon_smile:

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08 2019, 07:57:19 PM »
Oh yeah, aluminum all the way.   These damn stock manifolds are HEAVY.  Like stupid heavy.

I was hoping the pair of heads I have were Super Cobra Jet heads (or at least Cobra Jet).   I can't find the casting numbers anywhere on the internets, but I think they are Police Interceptors.     I think those are worth some money to pullers that have a rule about stock castings.

I think I'm going to keep those for a '23 T-bucket that I'm going to build.    ...unless, of course, somebody offers me stupid money...    then they gone!
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08 2019, 09:51:37 PM »
Super Cobra Jet heads (or at least Cobra Jet). 
From memory, SCJ heads are aluminum and were only produced a couple of years on a 429 only.I am unaware of 385 series Cobra jet iron. CJ FE motors were common. I can get info if you like.

One of the guys is currently building a 521 inch Fox body. i do not believe there is a lot of difference in the iron heads as far as intake. The exhausts are typically poor. Valve sizes are small and easy to fix.

When building 385 series FoMoCo be aware the oem retarded cam timing 9* in 1971. All fords were retarded, even the Lima 4's. They did it with the timing set.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08 2019, 09:58:55 PM »
These heads are defiantly mismatched as far as intake vs exhaust.   Even the 'small' intakes could damn near pass a baseball.   And the exhausts are puny.     Any correct cam would have to have extra time spent with the exhaust valve hanging open.

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08 2019, 10:16:32 PM »
These heads are defiantly mismatched as far as intake vs exhaust.   Even the 'small' intakes could damn near pass a baseball.   And the exhausts are puny.     Any correct cam would have to have extra time spent with the exhaust valve hanging open.
I do not tell people what to do with their time/money/sweat. The most common mods are 2.19/1.88 valves. Seat work and a bowl blend. Most only slightly straighten the floor of the intake. About 1/16 off the short side radius and the high spots in the floor. If you have them, remove the air injection bumps in the exhaust. Be careful and take the exhaust short side radius down. Raise the top of the exhaust port a small amount using a gasket as guide. An excellent job should net 300 I/200 E cfm. Maybe not the first time.

If you flow the heads, I could run the motor in my program. Probably talking a custom cam.

HTH
edit- going to larger valves for street/mild strip, I like a 85% throat cut. 90% for strip only. 92% for the most serious and with replaceable seats.
« Last Edit: November 08 2019, 10:26:09 PM by wmsonta »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal