Author Topic: 60 ft blues  (Read 35226 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: 60 ft blues
« Reply #150 on: September 18 2019, 10:13:36 AM »
Tim, as you noted, it was doing a dance off the line. Hopefully, the new bar will help that.  When it's installed, I think I would set position 1 to 11.1.  I think I would leave position 2 at 10.8 because I don't think it will be very sensitive once the chamber is hot and I would always err on the side of caution at this point.  Small turbos like more timing, but, I think I would start with the AF first in this case...I guess it is six of one, half dozen of the other LOL

It may be that position 4 needs to come down a bit to lower the AF at the beginning of each gear.
« Last Edit: September 18 2019, 10:26:38 AM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 18 2019, 10:16:51 AM »

Note your RPM's on the line have increased. Wonder how that happened...
The converter was discussed at length in one of Tim's threads. The actual stall is quite high. From memory, about 5k @ WFO/full boost. He could probably go 4500 with more boost off the line. I would guess, he has tried higher stall and the short times went to crap.
Have a good day guys.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 18 2019, 11:27:49 AM »
The stall on a turbo car is influenced by the A/F, the combustion chamber heat, and the boost.  The prior log Tim provided clearly showed a stall of about 3025.  The current log with the alky spray turned off showed a higher stall up around 3700 or so.  This happened because the combustion chamber was much hotter and made more power at launch with the alky turned off.  If the timing is increased, or the AF leaned down, it will probably increase even more.

The one thing that I learned since the initial comments is that he has a relatively small turbo, with a good exhaust housing, and it is a Ball Bearing model so it will spool very easily if given the chance.
Steve Wood

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 18 2019, 01:40:49 PM »
I swear I let the break off at 3000 (I put the 2step 3200) and if I did go past my 3000 the 2step would stop rise, I'm using that switch to cut Alky. And boost control at 15. Look frames 859 at the log Alky pressure jump from 30 to 150 at 3100 and A/F jumped around too but car doesn’t move for .6.Cant be true log says otherwise.

There is .7 timing add. 1.1 at 1 I sure would help too and 4 needs to go to 135-140

She has danced more with the Bracket Pro than the Hoosier. The HR bar should be a little stiffer and is more inline with the center of diff  than Hellwig.

I guess I had not notice Dusty leaving the other form tell you mentioned it. They have a way of doing that Lonnie from Extreme Auto was good transmission man that got tired of th BS too.
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 18 2019, 01:43:47 PM »
Steve...Erics recommends leaving mid boost turned off. You've run/ran 6.1. Is that the best option?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 18 2019, 01:50:09 PM »
Steve...Erics recommends leaving mid boost turned off. You've run/ran 6.1. Is that the best option?

Brad, I did not mention mid boost...positi on 4 is base wide open throttle fuel for ALL gears.  As I understand it, it does not affect idle fuel or cruise fuel, but, it pulls fuel from the wot fueling if it's too rich to begin with..then you can use the AF settings in 1 and 2 to get what you want more easily. Just another means to an end :)

But, yes, I agree with leaving it off.  You blow thru it too fast in my opinion and you might just manage to eff it up.
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 18 2019, 01:50:35 PM »

I could never get DR's to work. I stayed with the 28x9 slicks from Mickey Thompson. I ran the old skool ATR rear bar, Metco billet lowers, stock uppers, 90/10 fronts and single adjustable QA1 rears.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 18 2019, 02:06:06 PM »
A quote from Eric. 'The reason is the boost typically moves very rapidly through this area and it makes it difficult to hold the target AF.' He's referring to mid boost.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 18 2019, 02:08:55 PM »
Low gear timing is the same for 5.7 and 6.1. Add low gear timing and it hits instantly...in stead of being delayed.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 18 2019, 02:10:46 PM »
A quote from Eric. 'The reason is the boost typically moves very rapidly through this area and it makes it difficult to hold the target AF.' He's referring to mid boost.

That's what I found with the SD chips and that's why I said it blows thru too quickly.  I could hardly tell I changed the parameter on the log...
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 18 2019, 08:39:46 PM »
'Aggressive mode' on Erics 5.7 and 6.1 alky chips is very basic. With low gear timing on default full low gear timing won't kick in till 35 MPH. Add low gear timing and it'll come in immediately. Basically...it'll lower your 60 foot time. I've mentioned this to other alky guys...but I didn't give an explanation when I mentioned 'aggressive mode'.

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 18 2019, 11:03:46 PM »
As soon as I read your post on low gear timing I remember the delay part. I have been adding low gear timing for a while now. I went to the radials because I drive to the track and didn’t want to change all four tires. It was ok at the top of the track, but bracket racing every now and then you would be beside a 8 second car and when he go around you at 150+it would be a hand full.

It’s funny how I was happy with the 11.6 ET and was going to work on reaction time. All I did was put a solenoid to my turbosmart for staring line boost control. It was close to my Alky control so I hooked the purple wire to the other ground.
Go to the track lay down a 11.3 pass! And down the rabbit hole I Go.
You guys keep me motivated  :cheers:
DLS 210-210
Champion irons

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 18 2019, 11:09:53 PM »
I forgot to mention on the second pass the mirror went flying to the back seat. Didn’t pop the holder off it pulled glass out the size of the holder about 1/8 in deep,and cracked about 2 in on the drive home.
 What do I look for when Safelight come to change the glass?
DLS 210-210
Champion irons

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 18 2019, 11:17:20 PM »
Tim, my best friend Dan who's a glazer and wrenched on my car with me for all these years worked for Speedy Auto Glass. I'll call him tomorrow and get him to post up. The windshields are tough to get up here. He'll have an answer for ya',

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 18 2019, 11:21:54 PM »
As soon as I read your post on low gear timing I remember the delay part. I have been adding low gear timing for a while now. I went to the radials because I drive to the track and didn’t want to change all four tires. It was ok at the top of the track, but bracket racing every now and then you would be beside a 8 second car and when he go around you at 150+it would be a hand full.

It’s funny how I was happy with the 11.6 ET and was going to work on reaction time. All I did was put a solenoid to my turbosmart for staring line boost control. It was close to my Alky control so I hooked the purple wire to the other ground.
Go to the track lay down a 11.3 pass! And down the rabbit hole I Go.
You guys keep me motivated  :cheers:

Weak point is the transmission in these cars. Talk to your transmission guy what it can handle. I was fortunate as I had the best 200 trans builder in Canada looking after me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal