Author Topic: 60 ft blues  (Read 35561 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: 60 ft blues
« Reply #135 on: September 17 2019, 09:41:57 AM »
I don't think he has enough air to get there, but, for the turbo he is running and the converter he is running, I think he has done a great job of getting the most from the combo. :cheers:
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 17 2019, 02:32:04 PM »
I will agree that a converter would help. but I think the time slip proves he has enough air to run 10;s
At a track with an air density 500 ft below sea level he would be there now.
''theory'' be damned  :icon_lol:

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 17 2019, 04:54:10 PM »
The MPH also tells me the convertor is coupling well on the big end. Going to a looser convertor it'll usually slip more on the big end...so it's a give and take situation. Tim says he couldn't pull anymore fuel out of low gear...so he'll likely have to send the chip off to Eric to get him to remove some low gear fuel. I haven't seen Tims file from the run...but there's more to be had from getting the low gear fueling to 760-780...and he'll gain more ponies in high gear if the humidity drops to 60 percent like he says it does from time to time. Bracket racing my car it would pick up 2.3 tenths on a 15 percent humidity drop. There's a 10.9x in the car...with more tuning...and less humidity. Stay with it Tim.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 17 2019, 05:41:31 PM »
Agreed on the converter

The turbo will move further out of it's efficiency zone with more boost and the gains will be negligible in my opinion. We are already seeing it flatten on prior logs at high rpm.  That's a big stretch for a little turbo.  Not many 49 size turbos have made the stretch.

Personally, I don't think it will pick up much more on the Low gear end, but, even if it does, he needs about 3.5 tenths to get to the tens and I think it is getting about all the air it can reasonably produce to get that tad more it needs.

I think it is running really well and maybe beyond expectations.  Great job, Tim!!
Steve Wood

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 17 2019, 05:46:28 PM »
. Going to a looser convertor it'll usually slip more on the big end...so it's a give and take

I don' believe that statement but otherwise good info.
You can have both  a good STR and good efficiency in a converter

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 17 2019, 06:40:24 PM »
Agreed on the converter

The turbo will move further out of it's efficiency zone with more boost and the gains will be negligible in my opinion. We are already seeing it flatten on prior logs at high rpm.  That's a big stretch for a little turbo.  Not many 49 size turbos have made the stretch.

Personally, I don't think it will pick up much more on the Low gear end, but, even if it does, he needs about 3.5 tenths to get to the tens and I think it is getting about all the air it can reasonably produce to get that tad more it needs.

I think it is running really well and maybe beyond expectations.  Great job, Tim!!

This is the first real world data I have on this little turbo...and I'm impressed. The convertor is still the most important piece of the puzzle...and Tim got it right. Too many vendors pushing their LU convertors as race ready. I've seen too many PL files and slip rates in double digits to make me call bullshit on all of 'em. I cut my teeth with Dusty Bradford on the other board. Fairly he certain he left cuz there were to many know it alls...and he got tired of it. He was always kind enuf to answer all my questions about convertors. I think he still holds a world record for a single turbo configuration. His post about swapping valve springs 3 times a year is what got me into heavy valve springs. He's a convertor guru...and I soaked up everything he ever posted.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 17 2019, 07:46:45 PM »
what does Melissa use for a converter/?
Your opinion of why Dusty left is different than mine.
26 mph in the back half on a 3500 stall at 19lbs of boost looks pretty efficient to me.NON Lock. [NOT Tim;s]
Smarter people than me have told Tim a different converter would help but that is up to TIM.

AND I believe the efficiency range on a turbo is a calculated number and can be tricked a certain degree. ie molecules of air vs volume. 

Reducing the back pressure helps also. I think that turbo is rated at 605 hp more than enough to put a 3500 lb regal in the 10's
Lets start something here
 A set of HEADERS will move the efficiency range way up but you Will need a GOOD converter.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 17 2019, 08:15:48 PM »
Russ has run two different convertors in Melissas GN...and I know what both of them did...and I'm staying quiet. Russ is quietly one of the best in the business...and she's a helluva driver. Patrick Rubio has all the facts and figures for that turbo. You can contact him on the other board.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 17 2019, 08:57:45 PM »
Steve, I sniffed around and found a comparison between the 44/49 and the 5857. Murphster had been talking to Patrick...and Patrick told him the extra 60 HP the 5857 had over the 44/49 would be felt over 25 PSI. Keep in mind this would be with a good set of heads, IC etc. Tims hit on a combo that flat out works with the heads and convertor he has. Other than tuning it in better air, I wouldn't fuck with it. Daveismissing was lucky enuf to sit in and listen to Paul and Murphster talk tech one time. Wish I was there for that one.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 17 2019, 09:06:00 PM »
It's the rpm that he is turning along with the good heads that hurts. One has to pump a lot more air to fill them up.

I think we have suggested he try to increase the boost to see how it works.

Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 17 2019, 09:13:06 PM »
It's the rpm that he is turning along with the good heads that hurts. One has to pump a lot more air to fill them up.

I think we have suggested he try to increase the boost to see how it works.

I'd prolly bump the boost to 27 PSI and keep the high gear 02's in the 790 range to keep it safe.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 17 2019, 10:57:37 PM »
he is running a 6.1 chip so I suspect he has plenty of room to adjust....of course, thinking is not always my long suit.
Steve Wood

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 18 2019, 04:20:02 AM »
here is the log not pretty
it wheel hopped again so the Hellwig bar is out HR bar on the way.
pulled the rear cover all is good but got a new set of clutches and spring had for 5 years to install it spoon right side tire then left in the burnout then hopped!
Running AEM to see wideband
Convertor slip was just around 11 now 9.5
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 18 2019, 09:45:56 AM »

Bring up the gauge panel...and the RPM's move from 3750 to 3925 in one frame...and the MPH goes from 0-5 in one frame. It should have moved smoothly from 0-5 MPH. Looks like it wheel hopped right on the line. You were prolly into a better launch if it hadn't have hopped.

Hint. Small turbos love low gear timing. If you're gonna try it...then SMALL increments. Leave the high gear timing on Erics default.

I ran Erics 110-112 race chip with VP 112. Default was 28/26. I'd run 34/26. Difference was like night and day.

Note your RPM's on the line have increased. Wonder how that happened...

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 18 2019, 10:03:24 AM »
Brad is right if you can sprinkle in some low gear it should help. Sneak up on it 1* at a time or half * if you can. Watch the 330’ carefully, and its never a bad idea to read the plugs when your leaning on it.
IhaveaV8

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal