Author Topic: Is a TT6.1 worth the extra money of the 5.7?  (Read 16778 times)

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Is a TT6.1 worth the extra money of the 5.7?
« Reply #30 on: January 09 2017, 01:17:19 AM »
I don't buy the cold start stuff, having grew up, up north a carb with a working choke starts faster/better than a fuel injection system.  You can have injectors dump as much gas as you like but still can't compare with that choke blade blocking off the air coming in.  Especially when dealing with weak cold battery. 

Here in Texas it doesn't matter.

^hence my need for a plain ole chip.  I'm smart enough to tune an aftermarket chip but I just don't give a fuck.    :)

I'm approximately 100% sure I'll never tune my GN to the Nth degree.  Close is good enough for me.

I have been thinking about making the slant 6 in my '72 Dodge van fuel injected though.  Can't decide between 80's shitbox FI or soldering up a megasquirt.

...but that's a different story.   :tongue

I have been thinking the same for my Challenger...M eqaSquirt or a FITech system are my two leading candidates. Price is right on both and would improve gas mileage and cold start....   After having FI cars, cold natured carbed beasts are a pain in the neck.

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09 2017, 08:54:45 AM »
In a fuel injected  car, as long as the throttle is closed, air is blocked off all the time. The throttle blade sorta acts like a choke blade.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #32 on: January 09 2017, 09:53:12 AM »
I have a lot of friends up north that will disagree and vote for the FI.  The FI will set the needed AF and the idle speed requited to keep it running and the car will run smoother from the very start.

My own experience from the North Slope to the southern tip of South America, tells me that I would much rather have FI in the cold or in the hot.  You are welcome to come up and set the choke on my Challenger so that it does not take five minutes to get enough heat in the engine to over come a cold morning lol
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09 2017, 11:09:01 AM »
A working choke meaning one with a cable .otherwise you are adjusting it every time the temperature changes, correct/?

A good efi and the polar bears will thank you.

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09 2017, 02:53:16 PM »
It is funny timing I receiced an email this morning from a relative who said his plow truck was DIS.  dead in snow.  Choke stuck closed. 

I have a lot of friends up north that will disagree and vote for the FI.  The FI will set the needed AF and the idle speed requited to keep it running and the car will run smoother from the very start.

My own experience from the North Slope to the southern tip of South America, tells me that I would much rather have FI in the cold or in the hot.  You are welcome to come up and set the choke on my Challenger so that it does not take five minutes to get enough heat in the engine to over come a cold morning lol

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09 2017, 04:31:00 PM »

My old 85 T-Type would not start in the Northern cold.  No problem here in Winnipeg though.  But anything after -35 it would pump in too much fuel.  Ford actually did cold start testing in Thompson which is 350 km south of where I grew up.  Because of Ford's testing they had no problems starting past -40 but before that I had a buddy at the dealership saying how they had to replace all the platinum plugs because the Ford trucks over fueled and fouled the plugs.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09 2017, 06:19:55 PM »
I wonder if modern motor oil would have helped with that or a heater.
But even sensors have their limitations.
Is there such a thing as a cold weather tune?

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09 2017, 06:47:17 PM »
Remember, that is 1985 technology.  And most car manufacturers never tested in very extreme colds.  Now most vehicles don't even have a block heater, just factory synthetic fluid.

And most definitely heaters will help.

Offline Pyro6

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09 2017, 06:54:00 PM »
A working choke meaning one with a cable .otherwise you are adjusting it every time the temperature changes, correct/?

As carb cars age, it's a whole new ball game. From new, the choke is a bimetal spring and shouldn't need adjusted. But, if the linkage, spring, and choke blade wear, than it will need adjusted. Where many choke problems crop up is on the vacuum pull offs: either wear, failure, or adjustment. A hand choke eliminates all that but there needs to be somebody to "tap" it in as it's warming up to be effective.  That's where all the automatic stuff does better. I like talking carburetors, but glad i don't have to deal with them anymore. My favorites were quadrajets.

Offline aminga

• Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09 2017, 07:18:41 PM »
Earl, I would highly recommend the 6.1 if you are not considering SD2.  My only regret of buying the 6.1 is that I didn't go straight to SD2.

It does what it says it will do.  On my unopened longblock 10.99 and 11.07 passes my fuel pressure was off around 12-15 psi where it should have been with my weak pump.  The 6.1 added a ton of fuel and kept the AFR where it needed to be and I got no knock.  The wideband tracking works.

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced .

I like mine.  Usually it's just set the A/F and forget it. You just have to be carefull to keep it in the "correction window" by setting the base fuel.

I popped the extra money for the 6.1. I just couldn't justify the extra cheeze for the SD.  If it would have been close to the same money I would have went that route. More money and more work isn't my idea of a good time.

What's odd is USPS ran today (Sunday) and I got my chip....   with today's high of 40F. Needless to say, it's sitting on my couch. :)
86 Regal T-type. One Owner. Twisted 6 Racing Built 109, FTSS Revolution X 206/210 Cam, T&D 1.65 Rockers, Diamond Forged Pistons, RJC Power Plate, TA6262DBB, PTE SLIC, Alkycontrol pump and Kit and ISAC Controller, Bailey TR6 Wastespark, TA Headers, ATR Downpipe, Racetronix Walbro pump and hot wire ki

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09 2017, 10:21:23 PM »
I remembered going up North in 1993 for Christmas and New Years.  I had a few buddy's who had there snowmobile stolen, my buddy's Polaris EFI Indy wasn't stolen because it wouldn't start!!! :icon_lol:   The EFI Indy ran great in the warm weather but would never start in temperatures below -35'C also.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10 2017, 04:36:36 PM »
Pulled my GNn out of the garage to install the new chip and found two big ass dents in the PS door. On of them popped off paint in the center almost as big as a dime. Right on the damn style line too.

Guess who just lost all interest in fucking with this car today?
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #42 on: January 10 2017, 05:39:31 PM »
something similar is what made me lose interest in my GN for the past couple of years...and I did it.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10 2017, 06:54:34 PM »
Ouch, Earl.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10 2017, 09:09:01 PM »
something similar is what made me lose interest in my GN for the past couple of years...and I did it.

It is a humbling experience when you realise you are doing things that only OLD people do.For me anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal