Author Topic: Is a TT6.1 worth the extra money of the 5.7?  (Read 16778 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Is a TT6.1 worth the extra money of the 5.7?
« Reply #15 on: December 30 2016, 10:09:10 PM »
^hence my need for a plain ole chip.  I'm smart enough to tune an aftermarket chip but I just don't give a fuck.    :)

I'm approximately 100% sure I'll never tune my GN to the Nth degree.  Close is good enough for me.

I have been thinking about making the slant 6 in my '72 Dodge van fuel injected though.  Can't decide between 80's shitbox FI or soldering up a megasquirt.

...but that's a different story.   :tongue

I have been thinking the same for my Challenger...M eqaSquirt or a FITech system are my two leading candidates. Price is right on both and would improve gas mileage and cold start....   After having FI cars, cold natured carbed beasts are a pain in the neck.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30 2016, 10:21:59 PM »
Been hearing some less than positive things about the FITech; I'd go with MS as it is expandable, because I am a slow nerd.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30 2016, 11:10:51 PM »
Been hearing some less than positive things about the FITech; I'd go with MS as it is expandable, because I am a slow nerd.

Most of the throttlebody input on the Mopar boards has been pretty good...but, to get the real benefit, I think I need port injection and that has not come to market as of yet-or so I understand.  Pretty dicey in my experience to be in on the early stuff.

MegaSquirt has been under continual development for a long time now and it works.  If my son gets a Miata running out of his two...then I was thinking of helping him with a turbo set up....and MS is definitely the way to go there altho there are a couple of other options.---At least that is my opinion :)
Steve Wood

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30 2016, 11:14:41 PM »

Most of the throttlebody input on the Mopar boards has been pretty good...but, to get the real benefit, I think I need port injection and that has not come to market as of yet-or so I understand.  Pretty dicey in my experience to be in on the early stuff.

MegaSquirt has been under continual development for a long time now and it works.  If my son gets a Miata running out of his two...then I was thinking of helping him with a turbo set up....and MS is definitely the way to go there altho there are a couple of other options.---At least that is my opinion :)

My thoughts exactly.  I have seen 9 second cars with FITech; but there are more 9 second cars running MS.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31 2016, 08:58:16 AM »
How about this Earl for your '72 Hippie love fest slant 6 van?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31 2016, 01:45:56 PM »
That is great!
Steve Wood

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31 2016, 05:33:41 PM »
Stand alones are nice but there is more sense of accomplishment when you can run really good times on a basically stock location chip in the stock computer.

Generally, it seems that an aftermarket system, in the hands of an experienced tuner, seem to be more likely to pick up hundredths instead of tenths, over a well tuned chipped car despite what vendors/tuners like to claim....

Well put Steve!  Couldn't have said it better.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
I think that for us "older people" that grew up having to think for ourselves a chip is all we need and adjust from there. Regardless of contrary thinking it's still air and fuel.

For the younger people that need to be plugged in and a computer to tell them every move then a stand alone is for them.

IMO

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31 2016, 09:40:25 PM »
I think that for us "older people" that grew up having to think for ourselves a chip is all we need and adjust from there. Regardless of contrary thinking it's still air and fuel.

For the younger people that need to be plugged in and a computer to tell them every move then a stand alone is for them.

IMO

I believe you have that backwards, but I think I know what you meant.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31 2016, 11:23:21 PM »
My opinion is that the average younger guy/girl has no clue as to how an engine works let alone the tuning process.  They may be good texting, twittering, or FB'ing, but they want to buy parts and not have to read anything to install them. 

Older guys may not appreciate computers as much but they are much better at grasping concepts and applying them so they quickly pick it up.

Exceptions to all rules, tho
Steve Wood

Offline larrym

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Is a TT6.1 worth the extra money of the 5.7?
« Reply #25 on: January 01 2017, 10:56:04 PM »
Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04 2017, 05:58:30 PM »

The blower is where my feets go!!   I dd come close to putting a stock GN turbo and intercooler on mine many years ago. Then the turbo got lost in a move and I wasn't going to buy one just to be silly (and have the fastest 72 slant6 van in the world).

...speaking of ProChargers, you ever heard the phrase ''it's sitting there growing dust"?..

http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=186

http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=187

'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline achalmersman

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Is a TT6.1 worth the extra money of the 5.7?
« Reply #27 on: January 08 2017, 02:03:08 AM »
Earl, I would highly recommend the 6.1 if you are not considering SD2.  My only regret of buying the 6.1 is that I didn't go straight to SD2.

It does what it says it will do.  On my unopened longblock 10.99 and 11.07 passes my fuel pressure was off around 12-15 psi where it should have been with my weak pump.  The 6.1 added a ton of fuel and kept the AFR where it needed to be and I got no knock.  The wideband tracking works.

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced .

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08 2017, 03:33:27 PM »

My thoughts exactly.  I have seen 9 second cars with FITech; but there are more 9 second cars running MS.

FiTech on and in a Mopar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Plo8-36Ofg
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08 2017, 11:21:14 PM »
Earl, I would highly recommend the 6.1 if you are not considering SD2.  My only regret of buying the 6.1 is that I didn't go straight to SD2.

It does what it says it will do.  On my unopened longblock 10.99 and 11.07 passes my fuel pressure was off around 12-15 psi where it should have been with my weak pump.  The 6.1 added a ton of fuel and kept the AFR where it needed to be and I got no knock.  The wideband tracking works.

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced .

I popped the extra money for the 6.1. I just couldn't justify the extra cheeze for the SD.  If it would have been close to the same money I would have went that route. More money and more work isn't my idea of a good time.

What's odd is USPS ran today (Sunday) and I got my chip....   with today's high of 40F. Needless to say, it's sitting on my couch. :)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal