Author Topic: Barn motor and tranny swap  (Read 50403 times)

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Barn motor and tranny swap
« Reply #105 on: April 25 2016, 01:52:31 AM »

I have 2.5" in total
There are operations that can help with that Steve. :rofl: TB3 told me about them. :O

Let me know how it works out for you!  :D
They don't have an operation to shorten things Steve, unless you've created one. :rofl:

Congrats Jason. :cheers:

Glad that centimeter ruler has brought you so much pleasure
But the metric micrometer didn't register for you Steve. What's up with that? :wtf: Should I fire up the the electron microscope? :rofl:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 25 2016, 09:14:19 AM »
Got the rest of the exhaust installed yesterday.  Managed to clean up the barn a little and still had some time so I asked the wife to help me put the hood back on.  Got it on and aligned.  I need to adjust at least one rocker on the passenger side, possibly more and re-torque the heads. Still waiting for the actuator and some valve cover breathers to come in...  I haven't taken it on the road yet. 

Gary, I'm running a full roller valve train on this engine.  Like you, I was on the floor with a flashlight looking for leaks.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #107 on: April 25 2016, 09:22:37 AM »
Jason, it looks like you have hit a home run with this one.  I hope it continues to be trouble free. 

I apologize in participating in diverting your thread.  I should know better at my age :)
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25 2016, 11:16:21 AM »
Jason, it looks like you have hit a home run with this one.  I hope it continues to be trouble free. 

I apologize in participating in diverting your thread.  I should know better at my age :)

Me too!  I hope all is good when I start to turn up the wick as well but you know how that goes

No worries Steve!  I tell folks up front that I'm hung like a tuna can.  Only the wife knows the truth...  perhaps a few before the wife know as well  LOL!
« Last Edit: April 25 2016, 11:49:05 AM by good2win22 »
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 25 2016, 10:19:30 PM »
Had my first hiccup this evening. Must've jinxed myself with the tuna can comment. Got the actuator in the mail so I put on the second hand 6262. Adjusted the rockers and fitted the right size couplers. Re-torqued the head studs.  Adjusted the exhaust so everything clears. Did a look around to make sure I didn't miss anything and fired it up. What is this white smoke? Yep, sure enough the turbo is pissing oil out of the turbine side.  Damn the luck!  I was looking forward to actually driving the thing this evening. Shop fan is on high and pointed out the door right now blowing the smoke out of the barn. I guess the 49 is going back in tomorrow and Bison is getting a call for an over haul
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 26 2016, 12:49:16 AM »
Hopefully you killed a few skeeters Jason :rofl:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 26 2016, 10:03:18 AM »
Sounds nice, so good -had to listen a couple of times, knob turned to 11.
Co-workers less appreciative.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 26 2016, 10:29:48 PM »
Well... I'm embarrassed to admit it but can you believe masking tape over the turbo drain can withstand 75#'s of oil pressure?  The tape was there from when I painted the turbo 3-4 months ago. Sandwiched between the gasket and the drain flange. I guess I should be thankful that the tape didn't make its way into the block.

In other news... Swapped back to the 49.  Checked everything again, reset the chip and went for a little drive. Going to have to get the bigger turbo fixed cause that little 49 wants to be in the boost all the time with this configuration.  Tranny shifted well. I didn't get on it any.  Well maybe just a little bit after all the oil burned off the inside of the exhaust. About 5 psi and I was pleasantly pleased.

Stopped and adjusted the fuel pressure with it still running and then went back out for about ten more minutes.  Filled up the tank with some fresh 93 and came back home.  Got it back in the barn and on jack stands looking for leaks.  None to be found so far thank goodness. Did a little adjustment on the exhaust tube from the test pipe back to the axle, it was just a little too close to the floor pan for my liking.

Bad weather is rolling in the rest of this week so I'll be putting on the TR6 ignition, installing the new scanmaster g and hopefully installing the wideband bung somewhere in the down pipe.  I need to do some reading as I'm hoping that I can ditch the AEM guage and just view the wideband through the power logger.

Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline larrym

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Barn motor and tranny swap
« Reply #113 on: April 26 2016, 11:11:12 PM »
I was going to ask if there was a problem with the return line.
It's fine though installer error 😝
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 01 2016, 08:14:33 PM »
So I ran into a new problem yesterday evening. Go for a short drive and shutdown to get a drink. Car won't start. TR6 gives me the code for no cam sensor signal. Reset the ECM, and come home. Pull the cam sensor cap and the tab is not broken on the cam sensor. Reinstalling conform the cam sensor position. Car cranks up with no issues. Skip to Sunday afternoon. Go for a drive and come to a stop sign, pull away and get the TR6 code for no cam sensor signal. Get home, reset the ECM and car cranks up no issues. 

Is this standard symptoms for a cam sensor cap about to shit itself?
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 01 2016, 08:47:30 PM »
Jason, I did a TR6 search on the other site. If it's a code 15...try swapping out the cap.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline larrym

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 01 2016, 09:15:04 PM »
Check both plugs too I had a broken wire took for ever to diagnose had to repin the harness side.
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
Best ET 11.36

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 01 2016, 09:29:06 PM »
Jason, I did a TR6 search on the other site. If it's a code 15...try swapping out the cap.
. Code is 16
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 01 2016, 09:43:03 PM »
Check both plugs too I had a broken wire took for ever to diagnose had to repin the harness side.
cap sensor plug and the engine harness plug?  I need to try and find a diagram. Want to see how the TR6 gets this signal
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline larrym

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 01 2016, 10:27:22 PM »
Cap plug I had to repin the engine side
Best ET 11.36

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal