Author Topic: 3800 series 2 guys  (Read 1834 times)

Offline tb3

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
3800 series 2 guys
« on: February 28 2014, 03:44:45 PM »
buick series II 3800 engine.
I did the new improved intake/egr tube mod and new intake gaskets at around 120,000 miles.  I'm at 252,000 and noticed I'm starting to lose anti-freeze again. 
Car still runs great, no leaks, great milage, so I figured its worth buying another new upper intake and gaskets for $75 and keep on truckin.
I took the upper intake off and I must say its in much nicer shape than the first one I did at 120,000.  but the gasket was starting to look pretty crappy over by the throttle body side. 
On the 3800 series II, the coolant comes up through the lower alum intake, into the upper plastic intake, then through the throttle body, then back down and out again. 
I'm wondering if I can just plug the two holes on the lower alum intake and not have to worry about my intake valley ever filling up with antifreeze anymore.  (like it was doing again as my gasket was starting to go to crap). 
Is the coolant going through the throttle body for the same reasons like on our tb's?
If so, then I'd believe it serves no purpose for me in my climate, and could block it off.
but is there a chance that the coolant is helping keep temps down in that area where the egr tube passes through, so I should just leave well enough alone?
I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this but I've been doing some bing searches and haven't seen anyone mention it. 

anyone with experience with the 3800 series II have any comments?
I guess I could also look at it from the point of if I got a good 100,000 or so miles out of the second intake gaskets, then doing it again without dorking around modding it,...will still get me to at least to 350,000 miles, but I'm not expecting my trans to last that long.  and when it goes, the car will be put out to pasture.  I've been driving this thing for 10 years :chin:
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline The Radius Kid

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Re: 3800 series 2 guys
« Reply #1 on: February 28 2014, 07:11:35 PM »
They're only there for throttlebody heating.
It won't hurt to plug them.

Offline tb3

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: 3800 series 2 guys
« Reply #2 on: March 03 2014, 08:50:19 PM »
good to see'ya rk!  havent seen you post in awhile.
ok then, I plugged them at the lower intake.   
I guess the worse that can happen is ruining the $75 upper intake.
I'll report back if I have any issues arise
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal