Author Topic: Who is making big numbers and still passing smog? I'm in CA  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Super Gnat

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Who is making big numbers and still passing smog? I'm in CA
« on: October 06 2013, 12:00:02 PM »
I've recently started looking into upgrades and sinking some serious money into my GN. But to get the car where I want it and still pass smog is starting to become a gamble. I'm aware of what they look for in the physical inspection so I'm not so much concerned about that. I am worried about the rest of the test. I don't want to spend a bunch of money and not be able to drive it on the street. I guess I'm just wondering if a rebuilt/bored/ported/stroked motor and a functioning cat will pass smog and what the problem areas are?

If it won't pass, I guess its gonna sit in the garage and ill be moving on to a pre 1973 project. What a shame. :rolleyes;

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
Re: Who is making big numbers and still passing smog? I'm in CA
« Reply #1 on: October 06 2013, 02:31:47 PM »
Does the CA DMV offer any classic vehicle smog exempt registrations? Here in NV they offer a few different reg with exempt status if driven less than 5000 miles a year.
Mike G

87 GN, TA52, ATR headers, 3" downpipe, 80lb inj's and TT 6.1 chip, CAS V4 IC, PTC 9.5 NL, B&M transcooler, stock posi rear 3.42, Hellwig rear bar, Spohn solid LCAs on E85! 11.46@ 115mph

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Who is making big numbers and still passing smog? I'm in CA
« Reply #2 on: October 06 2013, 04:23:46 PM »
As my previous home town in New York, and now living in South Carolina, there is no Emission inspection, so forget about Cali, and come on down to and built your dream car.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal