Author Topic: 3.5 LS1 MAF with translator  (Read 4046 times)

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
3.5 LS1 MAF with translator
« on: September 08 2013, 02:37:18 PM »
Okay so after some reading I understand this is a good upgrade but what exactly dose it do and how much better then a stock MAF is this upgrade?
Stratman: Is it even running?

Offline 278CIKILLER

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 3.5 LS1 MAF with translator
« Reply #1 on: September 08 2013, 03:15:22 PM »
I told you what it does on Friday, What you do be leave me. I don;t get it.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 08 2013, 04:03:09 PM »
If the factory maf is working properly, there is no need for a Translator/modern maf.

If the factory maf goes bad, it is very difficult to find a rebuilt unit that is calibrated for our cars and produces the desired performance.

The LT1/LS1 mafs work differently from the mafs that were on our car.

Our cars used a maf that generated a varying frequency waveform that varied from something like 32 to 155 hz depending upon air flow thru the sensor.

The LT1/LS1 use a pulse width modulation that changes with air flow.

In order to use an LT1/LS1 modern maf, A translator must be used to read the pulse width modulation and change the output to the computer (ECM) back to frequency or it will not work.

If your factory maf goes bad and does not output correctly, then it is generally wise to buy a Translator and LT1/LS1 maf because the more modern maf is readily available.

Not sure what you read that makes you think it is a good upgrade unless your car has a bad factory maf.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08 2013, 04:06:49 PM »

I didn't remember everything you said I just want it typed out so I can review it. I had lots of information to take in on Friday.

Stratman: Is it even running?

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08 2013, 04:30:02 PM »

I didn't remember everything you said I just want it typed out so I can review it. I had lots of information to take in on Friday.

Some good, some bad, some incoherent...
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline 278CIKILLER

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08 2013, 05:20:13 PM »
Sorry Justin it was a lot to take in.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08 2013, 06:15:56 PM »
I almost had to buy a LS1 MAF and a translator, since the original MAF plastic housing ring band broke off about 2". It was my fault since I forgot it was there and I leaned against the MAF and all I heard was a cracking noise, and I wasn't happy to hear that noise since I didn't want to spend a couple of hundreds of dollars.
So after calming myself down, I came up with this savoring idea of using a S/S 3/4" band, 2 rivets and 2 flat washers I repaired the MAF and save myself some money, for now anyway.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08 2013, 07:10:12 PM »
That repair would be less scary if it wasn't poised to break an impeller blade.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08 2013, 08:28:50 PM »

You're right Earl, I super glue that one piece, and now I'm going to break that one off again just in case it does break off by itself and goes into the turbo blades. Thanks
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08 2013, 09:25:20 PM »

You're right Earl, I super glue that one piece, and now I'm going to break that one off again just in case it does break off by itself and goes into the turbo blades. Thanks
or put another rivet thru that broken piece so  it cant go anywhere
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08 2013, 09:31:22 PM »

or put another rivet thru that broken piece so  it cant go anywhere

Hi Dave, I'm better off taking that one piece that was super glue and remove it, since there is no support for another rivet. Thanks for the input

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal