Author Topic: Racetronix intank harness/bulkhead connector  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Racetronix intank harness/bulkhead connector
« on: June 15 2012, 10:03:56 PM »
When I ordered a Kyosan pump for my GN, I went ahead and ordered the Racetronix intank harness and new bulkhead connector.  This is wired with heavier wire as well as provides a better ground path when compared to the original factory set up.

Given the state of some of the intank harnesses that I have seen recently (corrosion), this might be a good investment for anyone changing their pumps.  Price is not bad for what you get and I don't think you need an Amp Hog pump to install this.  Might save you a dead on the road car when the original fails.  Cannot hurt, and it might really help...
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Racetronix intank harness/bulkhead connector
« Reply #1 on: June 17 2012, 10:33:19 AM »
Jack does good work. I know when I pulled the Red's double pumper out of my tank (built in c.1995-2000) it looked like crap in comparison to the Racetronix stuff available now.

Unfortunately my budget kept me from making the upgrade.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Scott87

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02 2012, 12:09:32 PM »
Relating to the racetronix in tank harness. Last summer I changed my fuel pump to one of the new deetchwerks pumps.

There was some loose corrosion near the seal ring for the sending unit. Not enough corrosion to be a sealing issue. Figured I would forgo changing the in tank harnesses due to ordering a new tank eventually..

This ended up having me to drop the tank twice. Went to a car show about a hours drive had a great day and went to start her up and no prime..

Ended up being the draw on the new pump was that much greater than the walbro it replaced. The greater draw causing the clip that connects to the bulkhead connector to melt and upon cooling insulated the pins..

Changed the harness and it hasn't been an issue since.

Needles to say I am now a pro at dropping the tank now.. ^-^

Posted From Tapatalk

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02 2012, 01:05:34 PM »
Something else to inspect as these cars age is the solder joint where the hanger tube pokes though.  When I did my pump mods a couple years ago the joint was loose from a cold solder joint. Turns out that is also the ground path into the tank for the pump. (after noticing that, the ground tab damn near fell off from looking at it. As memory serves it was attached with a very small spot weld)
  Since I had the torch out fixing the tube penetration, might as well beef up the ground to match the larger +VDC lead....

All it took was to soldier a large ring terminal to the tube. I know the pump's not going to be starved for a ground plane now.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 02 2012, 01:59:46 PM »
yep, I am going to have to drop the tank on the car with the DW pump and fix it as well.  Wires are noticeably warm when the car is idling...more or less when making the pump work.  Small wires and the problem Earl pointed out in the ground path simply don't work well when the amperage draw goes up.

I figured that out in advance on the car that I am going to put the Denso pump.  At least tank dropping is one of the easier jobs after you have done it a few times
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal