Tech Area > Fabrication

UPDATE on ScanMaster in green LED color

(1/3) > >>

gnonyx:
Okay here is an updated of changing the ScanMaster LED from red to green color.
 Thank You Bob Bailey, a truly great Mad Scientist in his craft as an engineer. With Bob busy schedule, he still had time to help me out with the ScanMaster of changing the red to green color LED lights, and let me tell you it was no easy task. You need to have some experience with soldering and de-soldering PC boards components without burning off any trace wire which is part of the PC board wire connection.
 After replacing the green LED you would also need to double up on a 16 pin resistor network in order to brighten the output display.
 Bob also claimed: The red LED's are what they call "high efficiency red", so they are fairly bright. Unfortunately they don't make a "high efficiency green", so there is really nothing you can do to make them brighter. This is a true statement, but I still enjoy the way the green color ScanMaster looks with the rest of my green color dashboard.
 1st picture was taken when I was in the back seat
 2nd picture is a close up
 3rd picture just entering the car, and all pictures the gauges look bright since I did not have the parking lights or the head lights on for Dim mode.
 I also added a You Tube video of the ScanMaster in green color:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvxBuE16q5g
 Note: If anyone wants a green color lens, Bob will need a bunch of guys together in order for him to make the green color lens. But remember, changing the lens is the easy part, de-soldering and soldering the green LED'S is the hard part.

daveismissing:
Nice!

Bob supplied a 1.5mm display filter?
You are pretty good if you removed all 6 seven-segments and didn't lift any foil. 

Exactly why I considered but didn't go ahead with a mod kit.
Slightly easier to swap the display panel completely as I did but still fraught with peril.

Good Stuff!

gnonyx:
Hi Dave,
I don't know what you mean by "Slightly easier to swap the display panel completely as I did but still fraught with peril."
Can you explain?

SuperSix:
I would think replacing the entire display, attaching via a small ribbon cable, would be easier, especially for remote mounts. You could mount just a display panel, not have to mount the whole unit.

I don't have my Scanmaster open, nor did I scrutinize the circuit, I could be very wrong.

daveismissing:
Slightly easier to swap the display panel completely as I did>

http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=2288.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version