Author Topic: Bates Nut Farm BGNRA show:  (Read 9069 times)

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Bates Nut Farm BGNRA show:
« on: June 06 2005, 01:54:52 PM »
The Bates Nut farm car show yesterday had the best turnout for a local BGNRA sponsored car show that I have seen for years. Steve Hurst, his wife, staff, Doug Frasure, and friends from the SoCal Grand Sports did an excellent job of organization and putting on the show. 1 real GNX, a lot of turbo buicks, about a 27 or so beautiful fully restored Buick coupe, at least 2 stage cars, and a beautiful fully restored & modified blown '40 Willys coupe were there. Some really outstanding early Buick iron there also.I took first place in '86-'87 stock t-types but I think that I did not have very many other cars for competition. Mike Barnard, (spoolfool2) off of Turbo buick.com was there and took second place in modified '86-'87 GN, beaten only by Don Wangs outstanding, beautufil and flawless highly modified '87 race GN. Some very exceptional Buick Turbo cars were there. About time that my Buick got up offo of it's arse and did something worthwhile. A lot of complients on my car, and a few non-believers on the fact that it still had it's original paint. Everybody had a great time. Although there's other Buick fun events such as the clan getting together at the Fontana drags, my hats off to the BGNRA in general and in particular to Steve Hurst, his wife, and all of the people of the SoCal Gran Sports for their assistance in making this happen. Met some really great people, too, as always. It was unfortunate that more of the local Buick turbo & Grand Sport clan could not make it.

DCEPTCN

Re: Bates Nut Farm BGNRA show:
« Reply #1 on: June 06 2005, 05:57:55 PM »
Congrats on first in your category!

Offline gordyzx9r

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07 2005, 02:11:02 AM »
Congradulation s Gary.

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07 2005, 08:01:34 AM »
Thanks, everybody.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07 2005, 10:52:04 AM »
You still suck because you're car is better than mine.  :mad:
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

DCEPTCN

« Reply #5 on: June 07 2005, 12:47:54 PM »
Quote from: "SuperSix @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:52 am"
You still suck because you're car is better than mine.

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
« Reply #6 on: June 07 2005, 02:42:49 PM »
Good job Gary! Stick one to Steve Hurst!
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

DCEPTCN

« Reply #7 on: June 07 2005, 02:54:27 PM »
Quote from: "87natty @ Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:42 am"
Good job Gary! Stick one to Steve Hurst!
:werd:

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07 2005, 09:21:11 PM »
I know that some of you guys have had some differences with Steve Hurst, but I support Steve Hurst and the BGNRA for several reasons.
The BGNRA and Steve Hurst sponsor and host the only Buick oriented car show that I am aware of on, at least, the west cost, and maybe anywhere. He is dedicated and loyal to the Buick cause, if there is such a thing. He and his wife dedicate a lot of their own personal time to keeping things together. Anybody that likes Buicks, especially the turbo Buicks, can't be all that bad. well, except for Broke 1, who badmouths everybody and everything. This Buick thing seems to be falling apart or losing ground and favortisim somewhat and I really hate to see this happen. New people coming into the sport, so to speak, either go into the small car movement, or go somewhere, but there are less turbo Buicks than there were a few years back. old farts like me die off and no one comes along to take out place. We are definitely a minority, which is sort of ok due to the elite thing, but too much of a minority and things die off. The Buick community is getting smaller all of the time, and we need to try and keep this from happening, even if it means that we get along with someone that we don't particular care for. Buick people are Buick people. Period.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08 2005, 12:28:22 AM »
Yup! Thats definately a good way to look at it, and
congradulation s ! :supz:
Rob

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08 2005, 07:59:03 AM »
The Buick community has grown so small that it seems to be the only choice for me.
The recent death through suicide of a close friend of mine, and my mechanic for about the last 10 years has made me realize that the Buick community is shrinking, that life, whether yours, that of a spouse or family member, friend or even foe is a very precious thing, and should not be taken for granted.
Thanks, Rob.
Only sort of a token win due to the size of my class, but a win never the less.
I hope that  everybody through the Buick community and their family is in good health and spirits.

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
« Reply #11 on: June 08 2005, 08:18:43 AM »
Gary what the hell are you doing up this early? What the hell am I doing up this early? I can't sleep, so I'll post until I pass out. You're right, we should stay close knit, but what happened with Sylvan and Hurst happened to a couple of other guys too. Oh well, that said, I've never met the guy, so I'll stay quiet.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

DCEPTCN

« Reply #12 on: June 08 2005, 01:43:49 PM »
Steve Hurst was a total jagoff toward me and all I wanted was my money's worth. So, a couple of newsletters that never made it to me snowballed into a nasty argument. I maintain that I was the blameless one as I'm sure he would say of himself. Fuck it. That said, I respect Steve Hurst merely for being a Buick guy- that's worth a lot. I love these cars so much that, no matter how many times my POS blows up in my face, I'm still here the next morning waving the flag. I was not an 'internet guy' until about 2 years ago, so I always felt like the only person on Earth who knew these things existed....hav ing found the forums and a few really cool shits (and drank with them) I am very appreciative of the group. I don't think that Steve Hurst is a bad guy, I just had a bad experience with him. Would I counsel another person against joining the BGNRA? No.

Fuck it, it's all about the Buicks.

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08 2005, 02:15:52 PM »
FWIW & IMHO:
Takes a person of good heart and strong moral character, Sylvan, to not bear a grudge after everythings said and done regarding what you guys went through. My hats off to you, dude. 1st beers are on me when we make it back to vegas this year.
I am sure that if Steve Hurst were asked regarding this past issue, he would feel the same way. His really is a thankless job & he does promote the Buick community as best he can.

DCEPTCN

« Reply #14 on: June 08 2005, 02:23:59 PM »
Quote from: "Gary Wells @ Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:15 am"
FWIW & IMHO:
Takes a person of good heart and strong moral character, Sylvan, to not bear a grudge after everythings said and done regarding what you guys went through. My hats off to you, dude. 1st beers are on me when we make it back to vegas this year.
I am sure that if Steve Hurst were asked regarding this past issue, he would feel the same way. His really is a thankless job & he does promote the Buick community as best he can.
It really does seem like he's a nice guy who does a good job. In retrospect, the whole argument is kinda funny.

That first beer in Vegas is gonna be one of the best beers of my life. I can't fckn' wait!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal