Author Topic: Shift RPM?  (Read 15898 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Shift RPM?
« Reply #60 on: August 04 2018, 08:17:55 PM »
I wonder if AC makes them as good as he used to?  I see he has a hd model listed on his site these days
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04 2018, 08:21:36 PM »
I wonder if AC makes them as good as he used to?  I see he has a hd model listed on his site these days

I doubt he'd mess with a winner.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05 2018, 02:51:05 AM »
My next trip to the drag strip will be the 24-25 this month.Ill be ready for sure.I have three weeks of 6 -10hr days at work but it won’t stop me from being ready.I won’t forget my laptop again I hope and I hope Bob can fix my scanmaster G by then but old reliable 2.1 works great.Im working with a friend at work to find me a Toughtbook but I have went back to my old HP and cable for logging,it’s never failed yet.
I do run 28X9 Hoosier slicks. I’ll finish the year off with them.and select a new set next year. That will be a new thread (Hoosier or MT)
I’ll be anxious to see how it goes if I can get a good clean pass on the first try with the limiter set at 6000,I’ll see how much boost I can hold.
(Scoobum) your right I always looked at psi.5 psi @2800,this gave me enough time to look back at the tree to try to cut a descent light. I had enough brake to hold 10 psi but often I was so distracted I was caught sleeping at the light LOL.Lonnie keeps trying to get me to put a Transbrake in,he says it will make up for my age.ive always been willing to give up 60 foot for reaction time and constant ET.but I have always wanted a constant ET in the 11s.
I was happy with the Edge converter and was starting to get a handle on the drag race thing.then the track closed for two years.it just reopened this summer and I broke the converter the second time to the new track.This is why the new converter and the new learning curve.
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05 2018, 08:07:27 AM »
Tim, I got a call from Jason awhile back. He was completely unhinged cuz a guy was messing with him in the other lane. I told Jason to forget about the other car completely...a nd roll in and barely turn on the 2nd yellow. Let the other car do whatever they want...and when it turns green...then boost your car up to whatever you want...and go. Have a game plan in your head as to how much boost/RPM you wanna leave with...and forget about the other lane.

Now...heads up racing...is a different ball of wax. Link below is yours truly...and what I'm doing...takes practice...and I do this consistently. The car runs 7 flat at 100...pass after pass...and cuts a 1.68 consistently with almost zero spool time as you can see in the vid. Getting it to spool quick...is low gear tuning...and low gear tuning will get it to haul its ass through 1st and 2nd as well. I typically run 32/26 for timing when heads up racing...more low gear timing if the track is really biting. The low gear 02's have to come in around 780. Typically, Erics low gear default fueling is pig rich. I use Erics 110-112 race chip with VP 112...and you'll hear the car hit full boost almost instantly.

Now...this is a first Gen CEA turbo I have on my car. These things start pulling like a freight train at 23 PSI...and surprise surprise...tha t's where I leave mine at. Boggles the mind why guys try tuning these turbos at 20 PSI...tho I think having a lack of testicular fortitude plays into it.

Racing hints. Never show your hand. You'll hear me get out of the loud pedal at the 1/8th mile...and coast for the win. The car will coast through the 1/4 traps at 12.x at 8x. Most can't read a timeslip...and are fixated on ET...and they honestly believe it's a 12.x car. I take a peek in the rear view at the 330 mark...and then decide where I'm gonna get out of it.

Reaction time. I bracket race this car. Watch the board for my 536 against his 716. The race was over with on the tree. Scoob never gives them an inch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFjkrBgHMCc

« Last Edit: August 05 2018, 08:13:44 AM by Scoobum »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05 2018, 08:39:33 AM »
Brad gives some good advice, Tim. Don't worry about beating the other guy.  Concentrate on driving your car.  Make it a one car bye race at the beginning.

A few weeks ago after putting new heads on my car, I finally got the converter swapped out.  The prior multi clutch would not go over 2700 rpm with the T66 against the foot brake and that was giving me only about three pounds of boost.

I had bought another Precision. converter (used) a few years ago from a guy in Florida and it was marked 3500.  Against the foot brake it would start turning the rear wheels right at 3000 rpm and 8-9 psi of boost.  The rear brakes were very loose and they need to be replaced.  I remembered that this car has one of the old Stage Right mechanical tranny brakes in it.  I locked the tranny and came down on the gas.  It hesitated around 3000 for a split second and then the boost jumped and the rpm went past 3500 before i let off.

So, yeah, a tranny brake will work, but, transmission and converter life can, and will, go to hell.  The Stage Right does not have a sterling reputation and I am too uncoordinated to cut a good light with it anyway so I won't use it.  It generally costs a lot more to rebuild the transmission when it does blow up as well.

My advice is to stay far away from one :)

Follow Brad's advice, don't worry about the other lane when you go to the track.  If he leaves two seconds before you, don't worry.  Concentrate on a technique that gets your car to leave hard.  Leaning out first gear and adding some timing can make a lot of difference.  Be sure to take your lap top so you can study what happened after each run.

Be sure to run enuf boost to get your turbo in the band where it really works.

A 28" tire makes your car think it has an apparent gearing of about 3.20 which is very close to the TTA's rear gear of 3.23.  The rpm will be about the same at the line for same mph IF the TTA is running a 26" tire.  My experience is that a taller tire puts more load on the engine at launch which builds heat and spools the turbo faster.  Of course, the TTA probably is no dummy either and has 28" tires on the back as well :D
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05 2018, 08:50:07 AM »
This is Norbs' 200 trans from a million years ago...and it has a Stageright trans brake. It works...but I've never used it. When released it puts a helluva shock through the trans. I use line lock to keep the rear brakes cool...and tighten the rear brakes to maximum. I have a couple of other things done to the rear brakes...but it's not safe for street use what I've done.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 05 2018, 01:02:18 PM »
Tim...you'll likely find the more boost you throw at it...the higher your shift points will be. I wouldn't mess with the governor until you throw some decent boost at it.

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05 2018, 02:47:28 PM »
I have a 5857 BB and run 25 psi with a  turboTweak 6.1 and a Alky kit.and enough bolt on parts to support 10s. Turbo may be a little small for that,but every thing is in place.I have the line lock and S10 wheel cylinders all primary shoes and braided brake lines.car needs to go on a diet,but car should makes enough horses to run 11.5 fat like she is.
I think it is quoted some wear here.”Lots of fast parts don’t  make you FAST” That’s me but I know from expectancies it dose help.As a young boy no matter what dad put me on I was winning races and it led to me getting lots of big time support,but with that came good coughing from the very best not bragging but I am Don Vesco,Gen Romero and even Kenny Roberts.And as a i age you guys on the forms are couches to and I appreciate it.
DLS 210-210
Champion irons

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 05 2018, 03:00:35 PM »
With heads and a good convertor it'll go 11's on an easy launch. Kenny Roberts eh!. I bought a brand new 2006 R1 50th Anniversary Special Edition. Mint to this day with an original 6,500 miles on it. It's all original with the exception of a rear fender eliminator kit.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 05 2018, 04:43:06 PM »
It looks like it has enough snuff to get close to the mid elevens...I don't know if you have ported heads, or not....but with the rpm capability you have, that turbo will start running low on air soon
Steve Wood

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 06 2018, 02:09:51 AM »
Kenny Roberts eh!. I bought a brand new 2006 R1 50th Anniversary Special Edition. Mint to this day with an original 6,500 miles on it. It's all original with the exception of a rear fender eliminator kit.

Before my time (And after his), but there's something special about this nasty nasty bike that was built solely to be nasty nasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k8hJWKIVNs#t=136

« Last Edit: August 06 2018, 02:14:08 AM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 06 2018, 03:42:37 AM »
That bike and Skip Asklen (misspelled I’m sure)was assembled at our shop in Robinson Ill.little none fact Kenny’s was a 700 it was a spear motor from previous year bike.there was a 3ed bike but I can’t remember how rode it and if it was a Vesco or team Yamaha.
DLS 210-210
Champion irons

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 06 2018, 09:35:58 AM »
Kenny Roberts eh!. I bought a brand new 2006 R1 50th Anniversary Special Edition. Mint to this day with an original 6,500 miles on it. It's all original with the exception of a rear fender eliminator kit.

Before my time (And after his), but there's something special about this nasty nasty bike that was built solely to be nasty nasty.

Dayum...that thing's badass...and sounds angry!

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 06 2018, 12:46:01 PM »

Good thing he had his bone doctor on hand! :icon_lol:   That thing sounds amazing!!!

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 06 2018, 02:00:04 PM »
Damn...sounds like an out of control chain saw....that is one bad bike
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal